Ski shops in San Diego area

Old October 18th 03, 11:12 PM
Diederik

Default Ski shops in San Diego area

Hi,

I'm going to buy my first set of skis, boots, and poles soon. Does
anyone know of any good ski shops in the San Diego, preferably in the
north county coastal area? Also, what should I look for in my
equipment?

Thanks

Diederik
Old October 19th 03, 12:28 AM
Richard Henry

"Diederik" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm going to buy my first set of skis, boots, and poles soon. Does
anyone know of any good ski shops in the San Diego, preferably in the
north county coastal area? Also, what should I look for in my
equipment?

It's not north county coastal, but Sport Chalet on Point Loma has the best
selection and repair/tuneup shop in the county. There used to be alot of
others, but all the ones I like went out of business years ago.

Old October 20th 03, 05:56 AM
lal truckee

Diederik wrote:

Also, what should I look for in my
equipment?

Good fit in boots. Shop at a shop with a good bootfitter (Henry is from
San Diego IIRC - his shop advice should guide you to such a shop.) Make
sure they guarantee the fit, and USE THE GUARANTEE until your boots fit.
Pick up any old aluminium poles from a garage sale - look for handles
with straps and small baskets with uncracked palstic - $5.

Skis aren't cost effective until you ski 10-15+ days EVERY year. If
less, rent demo skis (AKA performance skis.) Rent from the shop at the
slopes, and maybe change skis during the day to get an idea how
different skis behave (that's the purpose of "demo" ski rentals.)

Actually, if you ski 10-15+, you've had time to ask folks on lifts about
their skis, and should have an idea what you want already so your
purchase should be pretty straight-forward.

See you on the slopes.

Old October 21st 03, 01:53 AM
Jack Nixon

lal truckee wrote:

Pick up any old aluminium poles from a garage sale - look for handles
with straps and small baskets with uncracked palstic - $5.

I was walking around looking at stuff for sale at Kim Reichhelm's annual
garage sale and found a pair of titanium ski poles. Couldn't believe how
light they were. The length was right so I bought'em for $20. Too much?

Feels like summer here.

Jack

Old October 21st 03, 03:08 AM
lal truckee

Jack Nixon wrote:

lal truckee wrote:

Pick up any old aluminium poles from a garage sale - look for handles
with straps and small baskets with uncracked palstic - $5.

I was walking around looking at stuff for sale at Kim Reichhelm's annual
garage sale and found a pair of titanium ski poles. Couldn't believe how
light they were. The length was right so I bought'em for $20. Too much?

It's probably all right - they're not pink with little flower decals,
are they? Kim wouldn't have anything pink with little flower decals, I'm
sure.

Real problem with titanium poles is that when you win a ski trip to
Ganymede to ski the frozen ammonia, and discover on the low orbit
shuttle that they're suppying all new gear as well and you toss your old
gear overboard, the titanium poles will survive re-entry and potentially
skewer someone back on earth, which will of course lead to charges or
Death Threats!

Old October 22nd 03, 01:02 AM
Jack Nixon

lal truckee wrote:

Jack Nixon wrote:

lal truckee wrote:

Pick up any old aluminium poles from a garage sale - look for handles
with straps and small baskets with uncracked palstic - $5.

I was walking around looking at stuff for sale at Kim Reichhelm's annual
garage sale and found a pair of titanium ski poles. Couldn't believe how
light they were. The length was right so I bought'em for $20. Too much?

It's probably all right - they're not pink with little flower decals,
are they? Kim wouldn't have anything pink with little flower decals, I'm
sure.

The decals are very tastefully done. This is the Wildflower Capital of the
universe after all.

Real problem with titanium poles is that when you win a ski trip to
Ganymede to ski the frozen ammonia, and discover on the low orbit
shuttle that they're suppying all new gear as well and you toss your old
gear overboard, the titanium poles will survive re-entry and potentially
skewer someone back on earth, which will of course lead to charges or
Death Threats!

Oh jeeze, now I'm in big trouble.