Boots have cracked ?

Old December 16th 03, 01:09 AM
John Bradley

Default Boots have cracked ?

My first pair of boots have formed a half inch crack where the instep meets
the ankle. They are a pair of Lange Mad Max boots that I bought in the fall
of 1999. I only use them for about a week or two each year.

My question is whether I have abused the boots. When I walk around I
unbuckle the boots for the sake of comfort. Could walking around in
unbucked boots stress them too much and cause a crack ? I thought boots
were tough enough to withstand a beating.

Any help would be appreciated ?

John

--
John Bradley "I'm a realist. I always see the possibilities for
the worst event. At the same time, I'm maybe

Old December 16th 03, 02:16 AM
The Real Bev

John Bradley wrote:

My first pair of boots have formed a half inch crack where the instep meets
the ankle. They are a pair of Lange Mad Max boots that I bought in the fall
of 1999. I only use them for about a week or two each year.

My question is whether I have abused the boots. When I walk around I
unbuckle the boots for the sake of comfort. Could walking around in
unbucked boots stress them too much and cause a crack ? I thought boots
were tough enough to withstand a beating.

Any help would be appreciated ?

My boots are way older than that and get at most 6 days of use sob per
year. I don't see how they could possibly be worn enough to actually
break. What do the people who sold them to you say?

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old December 16th 03, 03:37 AM
lal_truckee

The Real Bev wrote:
John Bradley wrote:

My first pair of boots have formed a half inch crack

What do the people who sold them to you say?

And Lange. What does Lange say? Lange does not want to get a Nordica
reputation.

By the way - I saw another case of Exploding Nordica a couple of weeks
ago, out in the bowl at Alpine. Stopped to check on a guy who looked to
be in difficulty, and lo - his boot had split vertically along both
sides of the ankle - front from back. I'd only seen the classic "sole
breaking off" before, but sure enough Nordica of the 15-20 year old
variety. Really quite fun to see it again - guy got a free snow-mobile
ride out of the deal.

Now my Raichles - they never had plastic failures in about 1500 days
skiing - buckles, bales, sole wear, liner wear, but no plastics failures.

Old December 16th 03, 05:12 AM
The Real Bev

lal_truckee wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
John Bradley wrote:

My first pair of boots have formed a half inch crack

What do the people who sold them to you say?

And Lange. What does Lange say? Lange does not want to get a Nordica
reputation.

By the way - I saw another case of Exploding Nordica a couple of weeks
ago, out in the bowl at Alpine. Stopped to check on a guy who looked to
be in difficulty, and lo - his boot had split vertically along both
sides of the ankle - front from back.

That's what happened to mine, and both boots split at the same time.
Like some sort of time bomb. First hint was when I was going back to
the car at the end of the day and it was suddenly very easy to walk in
them.

I'd only seen the classic "sole
breaking off" before, but sure enough Nordica of the 15-20 year old
variety. Really quite fun to see it again - guy got a free snow-mobile
ride out of the deal.

Husband doesn't wear 'formal' shoes too much, and at a friend's wedding
the sole suddenly separated from the upper of one of his shoes.
Fortunately I carry a big purse and he was wearing black socks.

Now my Raichles - they never had plastic failures in about 1500 days
skiing - buckles, bales, sole wear, liner wear, but no plastics failures.

Mine are still in fine shape too, even if they are rear-entry. Less
than a hundred of my days, god knows how much use the previous owner
gave them.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old December 16th 03, 07:32 PM
John Bradley

The Real Bev writes:

John Bradley wrote:

My first pair of boots have formed a half inch crack where the instep meets
the ankle. They are a pair of Lange Mad Max boots that I bought in the fall
of 1999. I only use them for about a week or two each year.

My question is whether I have abused the boots. When I walk around I
unbuckle the boots for the sake of comfort. Could walking around in
unbucked boots stress them too much and cause a crack ? I thought boots
were tough enough to withstand a beating.

Any help would be appreciated ?

My boots are way older than that and get at most 6 days of use sob per
year. I don't see how they could possibly be worn enough to actually
break. What do the people who sold them to you say?

I haven't contacted the seller or Lange yet. I value the comments that
I might get on this group more than those of the ski shop or Lange. I
was hoping that somebody could tell me, if I abused the boots too much.

I just got back from Banff. I noticed the problem after the last day of
skiing. So I have no idea how long they have been cracked. I plan to use
them again in Davos next month, while keeping an eye open to see if the
crack gets worse. This is disappointing, because I was feeling good about
how well the boots fit. I'm hoping that I don't have to dispose of the
boots.

I was going to write to Lange after I return from Davos. I don't expect
much. Is it possible that they would return a rebate on my next pair of
boots ?

Old December 16th 03, 07:32 PM
pigo

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
The Real Bev wrote:
John Bradley wrote:

My first pair of boots have formed a half inch crack

What do the people who sold them to you say?

And Lange. What does Lange say? Lange does not want to get a Nordica
reputation.

By the way - I saw another case of Exploding Nordica a couple of weeks
ago, out in the bowl at Alpine. Stopped to check on a guy who looked to
be in difficulty, and lo - his boot had split vertically along both
sides of the ankle - front from back. I'd only seen the classic "sole
breaking off" before, but sure enough Nordica of the 15-20 year old
variety. Really quite fun to see it again - guy got a free snow-mobile
ride out of the deal.

Now my Raichles - they never had plastic failures in about 1500 days
skiing - buckles, bales, sole wear, liner wear, but no plastics failures.

I had one pair of Nordicas split where they flex after about 6-700 days.
Yesterday I wore my old Nordica Grand Prix to ski. I got some Rossignol Course
boots a few years ago but never got the extensive work done on them that I had
always done in the past. Even in the 10 days a year, they were a pain in the
(admittedly misshapen) feet. I think I'm going to stick with the Nordicas.
Anybody interested in a pair of Rossignol 4 buckle boots? They're good stiff
boots. I just don't need that amount of performance anymore.

pigo

Old December 17th 03, 02:24 AM
KentB

I'm not an expert on ski boots or repair/replacement policies. (But that
never stops me from commenting.) Walking with your boots unbuckled
shouldn't have caused the cracks. Almost everyone does the same thing to
some degree. If it is something you caused, I would look more to how the
boots were stored (you didn't store them in a hot attic over the summer??),
or dried (you didn't set them by the fire every night?) etc.

Write to Lange and see what they say. These are old enough I doubt they
will replace them with a new pair. A rebate/discount might be a good
suggestion for you to make. I would take back to the shop you bought them
from if at all possible. Most manufacturers want the retailer to be the
primary customer interface.