Utah Beer

Old November 2nd 05, 07:03 PM
Walt

John Red-Horse wrote:
wrote:

Anyway, the quality of the beer and it's alcohol content are loosely
correlated if they're correlated at all.

I'm sorry, but were you drunk when you wrote this?

Not yet.

//Walt
Old November 2nd 05, 09:20 PM
Richard Henry

"AstroPax" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:54:40 +1100, "ant"
wrote:

whoever bought it, would feel angrily ripped off when
they drank it.

That's exactly how I felt, the first time I drank a Fosters.

Fosters - the one in the 40-ounce cans? I guess that would explain the
Australian opinion of American beer - it's undrinkable, and the cans are too
small.

Old November 2nd 05, 09:23 PM
Richard Henry

"Walt" wrote in message
Get it? No? Then be sure to bring a heavy coat next time you go to
Canada because the temperature can drop by as much as 50 degrees as soon
as you cross the border.

As if by magic, at -40 degrees no one can tell the difference.

Old November 2nd 05, 10:26 PM
John Red-Horse

In article ,
wrote:

Not yet.

I think I know why...

cheers,
john

Old November 2nd 05, 10:48 PM
Bill Tuthill

Walt wrote:

Since ethanol is less dense than water, 4% by weight is the same
concentration as 5% by volume. Or stated another way, take a bottle of
Bud that's 4% by weight and carry it across the border into Canada and
it "magically" changes into 5% 'cause you measure by volume there.

There's an episode of SCTV where Bob and Doug McKenzie discuss the
relative alcohol content of Canadian and American beer, but I can't recall
what they said. Of course they are experts in this area.

Canadian beer generally tastes better than American beer from the bigs,
but I don't know if it's higher in alcohol. Doesn't seem so.

Old November 2nd 05, 10:50 PM
Bill Tuthill

Richard Henry wrote:

Fosters - the one in the 40-ounce cans? I guess that would explain
the Australian opinion of American beer - it's undrinkable, and the
cans are too small.

Or as joke goes, American beer is like having sex in a canoe
because they're both f*cking close to water.

The Fosters (lager/ale) currently sold in the USA is brewed in Canada.

Old November 2nd 05, 10:53 PM
Sam Seiber

Bill Tuthill wrote:
There's an episode of SCTV where Bob and Doug McKenzie discuss the
relative alcohol content of Canadian and American beer, but I can't recall
what they said. Of course they are experts in this area.

One thing I remember is that American beer has screw off tops, cuz they
aren't as powerful. The Canadian stuff needed a "curch key". Strong
beer doesn't have screw off caps.

Sam "My beer comes only in a can" Seiber
Old November 2nd 05, 11:30 PM
lal_truckee

Sam Seiber wrote:

One thing I remember is that American beer has screw off tops, cuz they
aren't as powerful. The Canadian stuff needed a "curch key". Strong
beer doesn't have screw off caps.

No no no. Never made any beer, I gather?

Exploding bottles/caps popping off have to do with to much live yeast
when you bottle the beer, and has nothing to do with the "strength" and
certainly nothing to do with the "quality" (AKA flavor, aroma, alcohol,
legs, aftertaste, etc.) Too much live yeast continues to produce CO2 in
the bottles until the bottle cap pops off (good) or the bottle explodes
(bad.) But you need some live yeast to form the head; so first you let
the brew finish fermenting which kills the yeast (you hope), and then
you add just a bit of live yeast to each bottle as you bottle and cap
it. That's way beer making is fun.

You haven't lived until 72 bottles (three cases) of beer all blow their
tops in your closet, spewing fresh beer and foam everywhere; and you
probably won't live after the wife finds out.
Old November 3rd 05, 01:54 AM
Mary Malmros

lal_truckee wrote:
Sam Seiber wrote:

One thing I remember is that American beer has screw off tops, cuz they
aren't as powerful. The Canadian stuff needed a "curch key". Strong
beer doesn't have screw off caps.

No no no. Never made any beer, I gather?

Exploding bottles/caps popping off have to do with to much live yeast
when you bottle the beer, and has nothing to do with the "strength" and
certainly nothing to do with the "quality" (AKA flavor, aroma, alcohol,
legs, aftertaste, etc.) Too much live yeast continues to produce CO2 in
the bottles until the bottle cap pops off (good) or the bottle explodes
(bad.) But you need some live yeast to form the head; so first you let
the brew finish fermenting which kills the yeast (you hope), and then
you add just a bit of live yeast to each bottle as you bottle and cap
it. That's way beer making is fun.

That's not the method I learned. I let the primary fermentation go
until it looks like it's pretty...much...stopped. At this point, most
of the yeast are dead of starvation (which is not the same thing as
being killed; let's not start calling each other murderers, here),
having eaten up all of the fermentable sugars in the wort. But a few
are still hangin' around. So, you decant the proto-beer into a bottling
bucket with a wee bit o' corn sugar in it and bottle the result. Each
bottle gets a _little_ bit of live yeast and a _little_ bit of corn
sugar for the live yeast to eat and poop out as carbonation. The
survivor-yeasts continue eating and pooping in the bottles for a short
period of time; then they, too, die of starvation, but it's a noble
death, because they added carbonation to the beer. At that point,
there's no more fermentation, hence no more fermentation gases, hence no
exploding bottles. Judge it wrong, though -- chiefly, getting premature
with the bottling stage -- and, yeah, you'll have explosions, or even if
you don't, a fountain o foam instead of a beer when you open the bottle.

Damn, I need to get OFF my dead ass and make a couple of cases of
homebrew to see me through the first part of the season. Problem is,
cider season also starts this weekend. Oh well, need another carboy.
Batch o' Frank Smith's Ale, coming up!

Old November 3rd 05, 02:51 AM
pigo

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
Sam Seiber wrote:

Jeff wrote:
It's my understanding that Utah bars and grocery stores may not
sell
beer stronger than 3.2 percent alcohol. By that standard, most
domestic
swill won't even make the cut. Buttwiper and Coors are both above
4.5
percent.

If use the same unit of measure, weight, Bud & Coors are 4.0 (5.0
by
volume). 3.2 by weight is 4.0 by volume. Don't mix your
measures!

Not much difference between 3.2 and 4.0 beer if you ask me.
They're both equally wimpy. You just drink 5 to get the effect of
4.

It's 3.2 vs 3.9 and you have to drink 13 to get the effect of 12. The
only people that care are the ones that don't know any better.

To get better beer, you need to visit Canada or better yet
Australia.
American microbreweries are making great beer nowadays, but the
bigs
still don't.

Maybe you enjoy "that crisp, clean, plywood-aged taste of
Buttweiser"
but give me a Sierra Nevada any day.

It's good to start with your "buttweiser" is suppose. 'cause you can
just put a turd in it and you've got your sierra nevada!