Utah Beer

Old November 5th 05, 03:32 AM
lal_truckee

ant wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

Fosters - the one in the 40-ounce cans? I guess that would explain
the Australian opinion of American beer - it's undrinkable, and the
cans are too small.

I like when Homer Simpson goes to Austrailia and he asks the bartender
if he has any of those *really* big beers he keeps hearing about. The
bartender places a keg-sized can on the bar and says, "There. Is that
big enough for you?" A dejected Homer responds, "yeah ... I suppose
that's big." And he sulks on his bar stool.

It's no good drinking anything too big, as it warms up before you've
finished it. The old guys who drink in the city corner pubs get their beer
in ponies (smaller than middies, which are an english half-pint).
In pubs, the glasses are kept in their racks in the fridge, the racks are
taken out when it's time for more glasses, and they should be frosty. Every
time you get a new drink, you get a new glass (I think it's the law).

Wouldn't it be easier to make beer good enough that you don't have to
nearly freeze it to kell the taste in order to choke it down?
Old November 5th 05, 05:25 AM
LePheaux

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
m...
ant wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

Typicaly the beers I drink taste better when warmed a bit.

Old November 5th 05, 09:48 AM
ant

lal_truckee wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to make beer good enough that you don't have to
nearly freeze it to kell the taste in order to choke it down?

You think lager should be drunk warm?

--
ant
http://www.dcita.gov.au/tel/do_not_call

Old November 5th 05, 06:51 PM
Bill Tuthill

lal_truckee wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to make beer good enough that you don't have to
nearly freeze it to kell the taste in order to choke it down?

Yes, the Pale Ales and IPAs I like best taste good warm.

Did you (or anyone) ever understand the idea behind Dry/Ice Beer?
It seems to have been a Japanese-originated fad, but I did not like
that style of beer as much as regular beer, and did not understand
why anybody bought it. Haven't seen it lately.

Old November 5th 05, 07:33 PM
Walt

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Did you (or anyone) ever understand the idea behind Dry/Ice Beer?
It seems to have been a Japanese-originated fad, but I did not like
that style of beer as much as regular beer, and did not understand
why anybody bought it. Haven't seen it lately.

IIRC, the original "dry" beer was Asahi, a refreshing light brew with
a clean aftertaste. Went really well with hamichi, toro, saba, etc.
Unfortunately, once it became popular they contracted the manufacture
to Molson or Labatts and it became just another unremarkable Canadian
beer. You can still get it, and I beleive it still says "Dry" on the
label.

Bud Dry, Bud Ice, et.al. were just marketing programs. No remorse
that they're gone.

--
// Walt
//

Old November 6th 05, 02:02 PM
Walt

tm wrote:
Walt wrote:

IIRC, the original "dry" beer was Asahi, a refreshing light brew with
a clean aftertaste. Went really well with hamichi, toro, saba, etc.
Unfortunately, once it became popular they contracted the manufacture
to Molson or Labatts and it became just another unremarkable Canadian
beer. You can still get it, and I beleive it still says "Dry" on the
label.

Asahi Super Dry is still available in its original form and selling
quite well.
http://www.asahibeer.co.jp/products/...dry/index.html

Well, thank the lord! Next time I get a hankering for it all I have
to do is hop on a plane to Japan and it's Asahi-dry-a-go-go.

Personally, I find it a bit watery and boring. Not much flavour in the
belch.

You can say the same thing about Sancere or Orvietto, but these
beverages have their place.

--
// Walt

Old November 6th 05, 06:52 PM
Bill Tuthill

Walt wrote:

IIRC, the original "dry" beer was Asahi, a refreshing light brew with
a clean aftertaste. Went really well with hamichi, toro, saba, etc.

Hamachi = yellowtail, Toro = tuna belly, Saba = mackerel.
They're all very different, especially the third which is so fishy.
Guess I didn't use Asahi Dry correctly when it first came out.
Always preferred Sapporo to Asahi anyway.

Unfortunately, once it became popular they contracted the manufacture
to Molson or Labatts and it became just another unremarkable Canadian
beer. You can still get it, and I believe [the label] still says "Dry".

Like Fosters, eh? Looks like Sapporo is now brewed in Canada as well,
perhaps why I discontinued drinking it.

Bud Dry, Bud Ice, et.al. were just marketing programs.

Aha.

Old November 10th 05, 11:28 PM
Two Buddha

Just thought I'd point out the obvious: normal people don't obsess about the
alcohol content of beer. Normal people don't argue ad infinatum about the
quality of beer. Normal people could give a **** about how many beers it
takes to get drunk, because normal people rarely drink to get drunk.
Alcoholics do.
Is it any surprise that many of the people in this discussion are among the
most virulent and vile of the terrorists?
They hate anyone who sees through them. They fear anyone who is sober.
Alcoholics always do.