Smelly Boots

Old December 28th 04, 12:15 PM
Snorer

Default Smelly Boots

Ok I admit it. I have Smelly boots.
Just to put things straight I don't have Smelly feet
I seem to suffer from extremely sweaty feet when I ski. I decided to replace
my liners because they are now smelling musty and old. Brighams only sell
injection moulded liners at almost the price of new Boots. So can I ask the
group for your advice.
I have bought some crystal bags that absorb the damp over night, then dry
the crystals on a radiator during the day. But that is too late to give that
fresh smell to my existing liners.
Is there any thing that they can be soaked in to revive them or do i buy
new.
If I buy new are the Injection moulded that much more comfortable or do i
have another alternative.

I feel much better for finally "coming out" but I am sure I am not the only
"closet Stink Foot" in the group ;-)

Snorer

PS I think Frank zappa called it Bromadrosis

Old December 28th 04, 04:45 PM
paul

"Snorer" wrote in message
[...]

I had this problem too, what had happened is I went skiing to sheffield when
it was wet and raining and I got my boots wet, left them in the boot of my
car for too long and they didn't dry out. Then they were smelly whever I
used them. I have almost cured the problem now, they are just about back to
the non-smelly stage but it took alot to do. First I washed them in warm
water with a little clothes washing powder and then rinsed them a couple of
times. Then I soaked and washed them in some water with some bicarbonate of
soda mixed into it (in the bath), rinse and repeat. Then I dried them out as
rapidly as I could, when they were almost dry I made some little packages of
bicarbonate of soda by taking the feet of some of my girlfriends tights and
filling them up and tying them. while the boots were being dried I left the
little balls in the boot liners. Then I have been storing my boots when
fully dry with these little things I got from snow and rock - they are
little balls that absorb odor, can't remember what they are called and can't
find them on the site though.

Will be able to tell you if it has fully workd in about two weeks time, will
have been skiing by then and can report back

Paul

Old December 28th 04, 06:50 PM
C.O.Jones

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:15:07 +0000 (UTC), "Snorer"
wrote:

Is there any thing that they can be soaked in to revive them or do i buy
new.

Hawkshead used to sell a powder called "Grandma's Remedy" for dealing
with smelly footwear. Ingredients are zinc oxide, zinc undecylenate
and alum. I found it good for dealing with "problem" trainers and
boots.

ernest - who feet now smell of roses
Old December 28th 04, 07:01 PM
Steve Haigh

Snorer wrote:

Ok I admit it. I have Smelly boots.

A few ideas, I don't have a problem mind you, I'm just suggesting things
that "my friend" does. No sir, not me.

Always always dry the liners out thoroughly. Take them out of the shells
every couple of days, or every day if it's warm, and leave them
somewhere warm (but well ventilated). Take the insole out too, and if
possible leave it in the bright sun for an hour or so (the harsh UV rays
don't just kill skin cells, they kill bacteria too).

Wear clean socks every day and wash them in as hot a wash as possible
and always dry them thoroughly. You can also leaves socks in the sun too.

To counteract the smell put a couple of heaped teaspoons of baking soda
(sodium bicarbonate) in an old sock and leave inside your boot when not
in use.

Injection moulded inners may not be more comforatble, indeed they may be
a lot *less* comfortable than regular foam inners. The foam is quite
hard as the injection moulded liners are really aimed at racers. What
you really need is someone who has just forked out for a pair of these
who wants to flog their original (preferable un-used) inners...? It's a
thought.
Old December 29th 04, 10:49 AM
BrritSki

Steve Haigh wrote:
Snorer wrote:

Ok I admit it. I have Smelly boots.

A few ideas, I don't have a problem mind you, I'm just suggesting things
that "my friend" does. No sir, not me.

I do have a problem, despite changing sockls, drying etc.

There's a product available in the UK called Odour-night or something
like that from Odour-eaters (shoe insert people). It's a white powder in
an orange plastic bottle. Sprinkle that in and it cures the problem.
Old December 29th 04, 11:07 AM
Ian Wilson

Then I have been storing my boots when
fully dry with these little things I got from snow and rock - they are
little balls that absorb odor, can't remember what they are called and
can't
find them on the site though.

In the Snow and Rock website, go to the search bit on the right hand side
and scroll down to Sneakerballs where it says choose brand. They're just
there.

Ian

Old December 29th 04, 12:20 PM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Ian Wilson" wrote in message
Then I have been storing my boots when
fully dry with these little things I got from snow and rock - they are
little balls that absorb odor, can't remember what they are called and
can't
find them on the site though.

In the Snow and Rock website, go to the search bit on the right hand side
and scroll down to Sneakerballs where it says choose brand. They're just
there.

Ian

Ahhhh, thats them.... was searching for trainer balls.....

http://www.snowandrock.com/brands/Sn...ucts/EAIAB.htm

Had a good smell at my boots yesterday and they are pretty good considering
that
before I cleaned them and stored them with the magic balls they were pretty
bad,
you could smell them from about 3 feet away!!!! not anymore though.

Next time im at snow and rock or if I see some elsewhere I will be getting
another few sets of these
for my 'sneakers' and probably some for my gloves too.

Soft Boots? MH Alpine Skiing 4 December 14th 04 12:10 AM
Boots with narrow heels? AsaaraAgain Snowboarding 5 March 16th 04 06:29 AM
Salomon 9 vs Carbon Griss Nordic Skiing 9 January 6th 04 04:25 PM
Soft Boots Need Help houseslave Alpine Skiing 0 December 25th 03 03:14 PM
Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM