Blisters

Old February 7th 05, 10:37 PM
Marsh Jones

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz wrote:
-Are these classic boots?
-Are the boot flexible?

Some classic boots are too stiff in the sole, and that will cause
blisters. I like my classic boots to be very flexible, like a tennis
shoe.

Jay Wenner

Bedroom slippers:-)

Marsh
Old February 7th 05, 10:44 PM
Marsh Jones

JCZ wrote:
I'm sure they probably thought of this too, but is the last gender
specific in her boots?

June

It's a little difficult getting gender specific with boot vendors. I go
for best fit for the shape and volume of the foot, and where things may
protrude and bite differently. At least IMHO.

Marsh

oups.com...

Old February 7th 05, 11:32 PM
JCZ

Well I bought some Karhu boots online, and they were HORRIBLE. With
every step they slipped up and down on my heel. So I sent them back
and bought a better model (same brand) that said "gender specific,"
and they fit remarkably well. I'm sure you are right to go for best
fit, but for women, with narrower heels, I have found that lasts built
specifically for a woman seem to work better for me.

June

"Marsh Jones" wrote in
message news

Old February 8th 05, 09:06 AM
Peter Clinch

Jim Grau wrote:

(1) Taping my heel before every outing. I've done this for many years
and it's worked 100% of the time. I used to use moleskin, but
eventually found it much cheaper to just use normal white athletic tape
-- for me this worked just as well.

I ended up changing to gaffer/duct/duck tape on the skin: the smooth
surface reduces the friction which helps matters, or did when my old
Alicos were skinning me because my heels were a different shape to theirs...

(2) Putting several layers of duck tape inside the boot covering the
problem area. When I did this I found I no longer needed to tape my
ankles.

Guess this could well be the lower friction thing too.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old February 9th 05, 05:25 AM
Steve H

Lester Kovac wrote:
My girlfriends has big problems with blisters developing on the back of her
heels when cross country skiing. This is chronic problem repeating every
season, year after year. She tried many remedies, padding, layers of socks
and materials, many different boots, lubricants, etc. Nothing seems to help.
Blisters starts to develop after first 5-10 km and in about 20-30 km her
heels are bloody mess.

This must have to do with hep physiology. Her heel is probably narrower that
the average.

Did anyone experienced this kind of the problem to such extent? Did anyone
find some reliable solution to this?

I am thinking about the very radical attempt. I want to remove the
back-of-the-heel part of her ski boots completely (with the help of the
shoe-repairman). It could be quite expensive trial-and-error attemt, but we
have to try. Do you think this could work? Won't it only move the problem
higher, i.e. from the heels to the ankle area? Wouldn't her feet get too
cold with the hole in the back of the boot (she would be using neoprene boot
cover)? Wouldn't this cut weaken the boot considerably so that it would not
last more than 1 or 2 weekends?

Thank you,

Lester:

I too have a very difficult foot, very narrow from heel to toe and have
had to be very careful with my bc ski boots (telemark and Nordic) for
over 15 years. I would recommend the following:

1) Don't hack up the boot. You are asking to create more problems than
you will solve.

2) Go to a good shop with a good boot fitter, work with the boot fitter
and do what they say with regard to fit, socks, etc. You may have to go
back more than once. Don't forget to tip your boot fitter with a six
pack of the beer of their choice.

3) Consider investing in a custom insole molded specifically to her
foot. Once again, this is where a good boot fitter is important.

3) Apply moleskin/athletic tape to the problem area before putting on
your socks at the beginning of the ski. I do this every time before I
ski and have for over 15 years.

Good luck,

Steve
Old February 9th 05, 03:24 PM
Bruce Freeburger

Lester,
The most important thing is boot fit. Got to a real cross country
ski store with a wide selection.
Salomon call their women's boots "Vitane" and they are made from a
clean sheet of paper as women's boots. They do make the boots with a
narrower heel. The theory is that women's feet are shaped closer to a
diamond kite shape than men. However, being in two large cross country
ski clubs, I know LOTS of women who get heel blisters from Salomon
Vitane boots.

There is only one sock I have found that REALLY prevents blisters
(and one of those above women said that this sock is the only sock that
she can use her Vitane boots to ski in). It is the crew length Wright
Double Layer Anti Blister sock. It is 100% Coolmax, sewn in a "U" shape,
folded inside, and sewn shut at the toe.
Wright socks are sold at Road Runner Sports, many running shops, and
REI. Only the crew length regular weight sock is suitable for XC skiing,
and they are the best sock made. They are dry, very comfortable, and
really do prevent blisters.

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger
remove SNOWMOBILES and UNLEASHEDDOGS before replying

Old February 9th 05, 08:49 PM
Bruce Freeburger

Folks,
This is the crew length Wrightsock Double Layer I mentioned

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-...ekgcgecfeedg.0

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger

Old February 10th 05, 08:48 PM
BarryT

"Lester Kovac" lkovac_at_rogers_dot_com wrote in message
My girlfriends has big problems with blisters developing on the back of
her
heels when cross country skiing. This is chronic problem repeating every
season, year after year.

Did anyone experienced this kind of the problem to such extent? Did anyone
find some reliable solution to this?

I had bad heel blisters everytime I went skiing with my classic Alpina
boots. My wife also had heel blisters with classic Alpina boots. We both
solved our problem by switching to Salomon boots! I believe each bootmaker
have their own "forms". Your girlfriend may have to search for the one make
that will fit her foot best.

BarryT

Old February 14th 05, 07:16 PM
Tim Kelley

Folks,
The problem here is not the boot. It's the girlfriend. You should
NEVER go out with women that have narrow heels! They are nothing but
trouble! I would strongly suggest getting a new girlfriend.
TK

Blisters Lester Kovac Nordic Skiing 18 February 14th 05 07:16 PM
Distance skiing and blisters Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 April 13th 04 04:56 AM
Blister mania Bob Creasote Nordic Skiing 3 August 22nd 03 12:28 PM