AT binding help

Old September 2nd 04, 12:47 PM
pinnah

Martin Thornquist wrote:
I use heavy tele because that's what I know, and, frankly, am getting
quite good at. I figure if I tele exclusively my using heavy tele gear
even in steep, hard terrain will make me a better tele skier overall,
also when it comes to light gear in more mellow terrain. And I'm quite
confident that is the case; I'm now able to tele on XC racing gear in
the right conditions, I wouldn't be if I went to locked heel when
doing steep skiing. If I were skiing every day I'd probably try both
alpine and snowboard, but as it is I think it best to use my far too
few skiing days on the one thing I'm starting to get a real grip on.

To be clear, I no longer alpine and I do ski on heavy tele gear,
especially at resorts.

To a point, I agree with the arguement that skiing on heavy tele gear
helps reinforce skills needed to tele on lighter gear. It is certainly
*more* related than alpine skiing, to be sure.

However, there are substantial and significant differences between how
one skis on mid-fats and high plastic tele boots and how one turns on
lighter gear.

BTW, if you haven't tried alpine, you should give it a serious go for
a season or so. As one person said, "I can ski the whole mountain on
tele. But on alpine, I can rip it." I agree with Bob on this point,
tele is harder than alpine. Much harder.

You don't see any hiking advantage to tele? Granted, that AT boot with
the bendable toe probably levels the field a bit, but I still imagine
tele gives some advantage in hiking flatish terrain (sometimes you
have to to get to the steeps).

Some will point to the use of AT bindings in places like Antartica as
proof of the adequacy long, flat approaches; especially when plodding
under heavy loads. Others who have used both, will contend that the
free pivot of AT bindings makes for easier climbing, especially when
the snow gets steeper and deeper.

I think the big advantage that nordic gear has is when you need to
move between striding and turning frequently. Touring on rolling
terrain is one example of places where nordic touring has the clear
advantage, imo. Boots like the Excursion and skis light the Fischer
S-Bound series are great examples of the upper end (in terms of
weight) of equipment where nordic is superior to alpine.

-- Dave
"It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
without the proper equipment."
Aristotle, Politics, 1323a-b, trans Jowett
Old September 2nd 04, 05:05 PM
pinnah

Kurt wrote:
Excursions are my heavy tele, along w/ Volkl Mountains and cable bindings. I
generally don't use the Excursions on rolling terrain. That's what leather
boots are for.

I can't disagree with this post. I *do* have some T1s for resort
skiing but most of time is split between and Excursion class boot or
Snowfields.

Old September 9th 04, 09:56 PM
Jonathan Shefftz

Booker wrote:

I don't agree with everything they [thebackcountry.net] say, but they are
right next door to a shop with the Alpine testing equipment.
If it was a simple as you state you should be able to get
your AT skis tested at any shop with the equipment, yet most
places won't do this. It could just be that they are not
"trained/certified" on the binding or there could be some larger
issue. Does Backcountry.com get the same results with different
boots?

I contacted Backcountry.com/bcstore.com -- yes, it is that simple
according to them, and they use the standard alpine downhill torque
tester from Vermont Safety Research. They say the test results are
basically the same for alpine touring and alpine downhill: roughly
the same consistency, favoring neither one over the other.