cold hands and feet:

Old January 6th 04, 09:42 PM
Dickie

"Sally Johnston" wrote in message
Hello group can anyone suggest good effective gloves
and footgear as my hands and feet chill very quickly even
at -5f sure would appreciate some info.

Jim.J

Check out the Zanier Heat GTX gloves with batteries. I have tested them and
thet work great!
www.zanier.com

rgds dickie

Old January 9th 04, 06:53 AM
Christopher A. Kantarjiev

Sally Johnston wrote:

Hello group can anyone suggest good effective gloves
and footgear as my hands and feet chill very quickly even
at -5f sure would appreciate some info.

Jim.J

My feet tend to be overwarm, so I can't help you much there.

My hands, however, get cold at the slightest inclination. I have
Reynaud's Syndrome, which is a fancy name for "we don't know why, but
some people's finger tips decide to shut off the blood flow when they
get just a little cold". As a result, my tips, especially my index
fingers, turn white and then blue when exposed to anything below 50 degF
for more than 10 minutes.

It's really annoying.

As a result, I have a pair of glove liners with me pretty much all the
time. Once I get warmed up and moving, I can ski without gloves - at
that point, I'm happy to radiate heat out of my hands. But as soon as I
stop, the gloves go on.

At the moment, I'm carrying and wearing some WindStopper N2S liner
gloves from Mountain Hardware (the "Transition" model). They are quite
nice, abrasion resistant and avoid wetting out. I have a Patagucci shell
glove that goes over them for colder temps or wetter conditions (they
have a gauntlet and are waterproof), and am experimenting with
half-mittens sized to go over the liners (the sort where the front half
of the mitten can flip backwards) for alpine climbing.

The particular model isn't important, but the material selection and fit
is *very* important. I have stubby fingers and don't like extra material
at the end, so it's sometimes difficult to get a good fit. Leave some
room to avoid restricting blood flow and to provide an insulating
cushion of air. You may end up trying, buying and giving away many pairs
of gloves to find something that works - I did.

I always have a spare pair of gloves in my pack. I usually have two
different weights of gloves in my pack, in case it gets a little colder
or a little warmer. It's pretty damned annoying, but I'm getting used to
it.

Dachstein mitts are great, but I prefer a set of super thick fleece
mittens and OR gore-tex overmitts for them. The fleece mittens are warm
enough that I can't keep them on indoors. They keep my hands warm, but I
have pretty much zero dexterity with them on.

Good luck,
chris
Old January 9th 04, 06:55 AM
Christopher A. Kantarjiev

Oh yeah. You can attach chemical heat packs to your gloves at the wrist
(on the underside, where the blood vessels are more exposed) to help
heat your hands. Duct tape works great.

This is an extreme solution, admittedly.
Old January 9th 04, 07:07 PM
Shilajit T Gangulee

Christopher A. Kantarjiev ) wrote:
: Oh yeah. You can attach chemical heat packs to your gloves at the wrist
: (on the underside, where the blood vessels are more exposed) to help
: heat your hands. Duct tape works great.

: This is an extreme solution, admittedly.

there's actually a commercial version of this, it's an elastic wrist-band
with a pocket for the shake-n-warm. doesn't jive well with ice-axe
leashes, but works with poles (and leashless tools).
Old January 10th 04, 06:54 PM
Peter Zurla

It's made by Crazy Creek. It's called Crazy Therma-Band. It definitely
works as I just purchased it and am wearing it as we speak. EXCELLENT
product.

--
Peter

"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal,
warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be
slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
Lionel Terray

Old January 13th 04, 06:04 PM
dave

has anyone had experience with heat shields (http://www.warmfeet.com)?
since i got frostbite at the end of last season my feet are
incredibly sensitive to cold. heatshields seem like a good idea, but
do they work or are they just gimmicks?

(Daymiller) wrote in message ...
Multiple layers will be more
efficient, with a windproof outer and thermal insulation of some sort in
an inner mitt probably as warm as you'll get.

Just make sure these layers are not restrictive to blood flow, they must be
"loose". Heat tablets work also

Old January 13th 04, 06:56 PM
Terry Morse

(dave) wrote:

has anyone had experience with heat shields (http://www.warmfeet.com)?

No experience with them personally, but they appear to be simple
radiant heat shields. I'm skeptical, since they don't provide any
conductive insulation to speak of. To prevent conductive heat loss,
consider a neoprene layer on the outside of the boot:

http://www.1-outdoors.com/Dry-Guy-Bootglove-Alpine.asp

I've been using a thick CoolMax sock liner under wool mountaineering
socks for a couple of years, and my cold toe problems haven't
resurfaced. You may not have enough space in your boot for that much
sock, though.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http:/www.terrymorse.com/bike/
Old January 13th 04, 10:13 PM
Tommy T.

I second Terry's comments on both counts. Bulk that traps dead air space is
the way to stop conductive loss and that means you need sufficient room to
use same without cutting off circulation of blood.

For teaching snowboarding, where, when working with beginners, a lot of
time is spent not moving around very much, I use a boot that is a half size
too big in order to wear a light wicking sock (CoolMax -- me too) and a
heavy ski sock.

Tommy T.

Old January 14th 04, 02:14 AM
Terry Morse

Terry Morse wrote:

I've been using a thick CoolMax sock liner under wool mountaineering
socks for a couple of years

Correction: make that a _thin_ CoolMax sock liner.

BTW, here are some photos from last week at Tioga Pass:

http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/trip/tpr0401/

Nice conditions, stable snowpack, some fresh snow one day, and
nobody was up there.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/
Old January 14th 04, 07:16 PM