Engleberg skiing

Old September 14th 14, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

Default Engleberg skiing

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 19:54:57 +0100, PipL wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 00:47:16 +0200, Ace wrote:

I definitely want to do Engelberg again on skis, preferably with decent
visibility.

Oh, do I recall correctly that there are lockers at the main lift? Only it
occurred to me that one could wear ordinary shoes to walk to the lift and then
leave them at the bottom.

There are ski lockers, of the rack type, but I don't think there are
any actual closed-door ones.

But what most people who want that sort of thing do is simply dump
their ordinary shoes, usually in a bag of some sort, under one of the
benches at the lower exit from Truebsee, or on the top floor next to
the ski rack lockers at the top of the stairs. Never heard of anyone
losing anything they've left there.

Of course the exact layout of the lift stations is all changing now,
as they've started construction on the new fast lift that goes all the
way up to Stand. I note on some artists impressions that this also
shows some new learner areas at Truebess, which will be very welcome
for early season instruction.

Contrary to the original plans, the new lift now seems to be starting
from just next to the old one, as opposed to next to the railway
station in the village. I guess the additional cost and impact of
doing that simply to avoid a one-minute bus journey lost out to common
sense in the end.
Old September 15th 14, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 17:27:43 +0200, Ace wrote:

There are ski lockers, of the rack type, but I don't think there are
any actual closed-door ones.

But what most people who want that sort of thing do is simply dump
their ordinary shoes, usually in a bag of some sort, under one of the
benches at the lower exit from Truebsee, or on the top floor next to
the ski rack lockers at the top of the stairs. Never heard of anyone
losing anything they've left there.

OK, I'd do that with trainers but not posh boots.

Of course the exact layout of the lift stations is all changing now,
as they've started construction on the new fast lift that goes all the
way up to Stand. I note on some artists impressions that this also
shows some new learner areas at Truebess, which will be very welcome
for early season instruction.

Truebbess being Truebsee?

Didn't realise that they were upgrading, though you probably mentioned it.

Contrary to the original plans, the new lift now seems to be starting
from just next to the old one, as opposed to next to the railway
station in the village. I guess the additional cost and impact of
doing that simply to avoid a one-minute bus journey lost out to common
sense in the end.

Well, yes, I suppose, though that one minute bus ride is in reality a five
minute queue for a bus (which always seems like fifteen) plus a one minute
ride, usually crammed standing in the aisle.

--

Pip

Old September 16th 14, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:51:33 +0100, PipL wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 17:27:43 +0200, Ace wrote:

There are ski lockers, of the rack type, but I don't think there are
any actual closed-door ones.

But what most people who want that sort of thing do is simply dump
their ordinary shoes, usually in a bag of some sort, under one of the
benches at the lower exit from Truebsee, or on the top floor next to
the ski rack lockers at the top of the stairs. Never heard of anyone
losing anything they've left there.

OK, I'd do that with trainers but not posh boots.

You really think people are going to randomly start searching through
bags to find the least smelly pair of boots they can? Naa, you'll be
fine.

Of course the exact layout of the lift stations is all changing now,
as they've started construction on the new fast lift that goes all the
way up to Stand. I note on some artists impressions that this also
shows some new learner areas at Truebess, which will be very welcome
for early season instruction.

Truebbess being Truebsee?

Err, yes.

Didn't realise that they were upgrading, though you probably mentioned it.

If you're interested, more details here (German only, but Google
Translate does a reasonable job on it.)

http://www.titlis.ch/de/header/unternehmen/projekte
http://www.titlis.ch/de/header/unternehmen/bautagebuch

Contrary to the original plans, the new lift now seems to be starting
from just next to the old one, as opposed to next to the railway
station in the village. I guess the additional cost and impact of
doing that simply to avoid a one-minute bus journey lost out to common
sense in the end.

Well, yes, I suppose, though that one minute bus ride is in reality a five
minute queue for a bus (which always seems like fifteen) plus a one minute
ride, usually crammed standing in the aisle.

It only take 8 minutes to walk, FFS.
--
Ace
Prime Ski School, Engelberg, CH
Old September 16th 14, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:54:26 +0200, Ace wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:51:33 +0100, PipL wrote:

You really think people are going to randomly start searching through
bags to find the least smelly pair of boots they can? Naa, you'll be
fine.

Probably not. But I'm a worryer!

Didn't realise that they were upgrading, though you probably mentioned it.

If you're interested, more details here (German only, but Google
Translate does a reasonable job on it.)

http://www.titlis.ch/de/header/unternehmen/projekte
http://www.titlis.ch/de/header/unternehmen/bautagebuch

Thanks. I did do a bit of searching but couldn't find any details.

Well, yes, I suppose, though that one minute bus ride is in reality a five
minute queue for a bus (which always seems like fifteen) plus a one minute
ride, usually crammed standing in the aisle.

It only take 8 minutes to walk, FFS.

Which is why I usually walk rather than take the bus.

It was easier last time, though: one of the advantages of snowboarding boots.
--

Pip

Old September 16th 14, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 17:27:43 +0200, Ace wrote:

Of course the exact layout of the lift stations is all changing now,
as they've started construction on the new fast lift that goes all the
way up to Stand

Really? Wow.

Can't wait to see it all again!
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old September 16th 14, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:29:52 +0100, PipL wrote:

Which is why I usually walk rather than take the bus.

It was easier last time, though: one of the advantages of snowboarding boots.

I thought one of the advantages of snowboarding boots was to fell smug
in the company of skiers when having to walk anywhere?

At its apogee on the arrette from Aiguille de Midi to the starting
point of the Vallee Blanche
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old September 16th 14, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:35:21 +0100, Champ wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:29:52 +0100, PipL wrote:

Which is why I usually walk rather than take the bus.

It was easier last time, though: one of the advantages of snowboarding boots.

I thought one of the advantages of snowboarding boots was to fell smug
in the company of skiers when having to walk anywhere?

Oh, yes indeed. Trouble is, I have to feel smug at myself half the time. But
then again, I did get stuck in deep, rather sticky powder last time out, and
got very hot and bothered trying to get the board to move fast enough to get
some float and get back on top of it all, where on skis I would have just
shuffled and poled my way out.

At its apogee on the arrette from Aiguille de Midi to the starting
point of the Vallee Blanche

Never done that. On my ToDo list, before it melts.
--

Pip

Old September 16th 14, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:33:25 +0100, Champ wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 17:27:43 +0200, Ace wrote:

Of course the exact layout of the lift stations is all changing now,
as they've started construction on the new fast lift that goes all the
way up to Stand

Really? Wow.

Can't wait to see it all again!

Well it won't be open until next season, i.e. 2015/16. But if you make
it out this coming one then you'll at least see the work in progress.

I also found on the same page some details of the plan to link us with
Meiringen-Hasliberg and Melchsee-Frutt. Seems that they submitted a
planning application again a couple of years back, but it's still not
been approved :-(
Old September 17th 14, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jérémy

Champ wrote in
:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:29:52 +0100, PipL wrote:

Which is why I usually walk rather than take the bus.

It was easier last time, though: one of the advantages of snowboarding
boots.

I thought one of the advantages of snowboarding boots was to fell smug
in the company of skiers when having to walk anywhere?

At its apogee on the arrette from Aiguille de Midi to the starting
point of the Vallee Blanche

Those of us who wear randonnée boots have only this to say: try putting
crampons on snowboard boots.

--
Jeremy
K1300GT
Old September 17th 14, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jérémy

Ace wrote in
:

I also found on the same page some details of the plan to link us with
Meiringen-Hasliberg and Melchsee-Frutt. Seems that they submitted a
planning application again a couple of years back, but it's still not
been approved :-(

The tendency seems to be the other way. Did you see the 4 Vallées has
fallen to bits?

--
Jeremy
K1300GT