Yellowstone/Tetons???

Old March 28th 05, 02:20 AM
gr

Default Yellowstone/Tetons???

Not exactly a skiing question, but I ask in a group that has folks that
know what they talk about!
My wife wants to make a few day trip to see wildlife near the end of
May(last week of May?) out to Yellowstone etc. One concern was that it
be passable in that area for hiking (worried about mud trails!) around
then. Anybody know?
Any areas particularly good or to avoid?
Being there before June, I expect that there will be minimal other
people or traffic, is that realistic?
Looked at a guidebook and saw Jenny Lake Lodge (just looking now says
they don't open until June 3rd), or the old lodge at Yellowstone, might
be fun , historic places to stay (and close to the parks).
Any suggestions or experiences appreciated.
And last but not least; any chance I should bring skis, and there will
still be some snow?
Thanks,
gr
Old March 28th 05, 02:48 AM
Ed Huesers

gr wrote:
My wife wants to make a few day trip to see wildlife near the end of
May(last week of May?) out to Yellowstone etc. One concern was that it
be passable in that area for hiking (worried about mud trails!) around
then. Anybody know?

I was just there the end of Feb. and they said it was the lowest snow
conditions any of them could remember:
http://www.grandshelters.com/trip-re...of-geysers.htm

And last but not least; any chance I should bring skis, and there will
still be some snow?

I doubt you'd find much if any skiing in Yellowstone but the Tetons
got more snow than Yellowstone this year and if you're willing to carry
your skiis.

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com
Old March 28th 05, 09:28 PM
Carol Harkness

This is not a good snow year anywhere in northwest Wyoming. I don't
recall the figures for Yellowstone, but here in the Tetons we're running
about 70% of average. But storms and temperatures between now and the
end of May could change that.

I strongly recommend wildlife viewing in Yellowstone in May/June. It's
fantastic. Bison calves all over the place. You're not very likely to
find muddy trails unless a storm rolls through while you're there, which
could easily happen but is impossible to predict this far in advance.
Generally, the northern part of the park has less snow than the
southern. The animals prefer less snow, so that's where most of the
viewing is as well.

What's more likely to impact your hiking choices at that time of the
year is closures for bear activity. You'll want to talk to rangers in
the vicinity before taking any major hike, and some trails will have
signs saying they're closed. Some trails have closures almost every
year, but most vary from year to year.

Traffic will be light in most of the park, though there may be quite a
few people in the Lamar Valley looking for wolves. May is the time most
commercial wolf watching ventures operate. The fact that most food and
lodging operations in the park don't open until just before Memorial Day
or thereabouts keeps the crowds down most places.

As for lodging, historic or otherwise, at that time of the year the
question is whether they're open for the summer yet. You'll have to
check on the ones you're interested in. They've been rehabbing the Old
Faithful Inn this winter, which may impact its schedule. Lodging inside
YNP is run by Xantera (links off the NPS web site). It should be easy
to find out schedules on the web. Otherwise, there's Pahaska Teepee on
the road between Cody and Yellowstone, Buffalo Bill's hunting lodge.
The Irma Hotel in Cody is historic, but it's a long drive from Cody to
the usual wildlife viewing spots and there's road construction.

I can't think of any historic lodging in West Yellowstone, but the
museum is in a great old building and the Union Pacific Dining Hall next
to it is a classic.

The towns outside the park that are close enough to commute from are
West Yellowstone, Cooke City, and Gardiner, all in Montana. West
Yellowstone has a much larger variety of services than Cooke City. I've
never stayed in Gardiner.

In Grand Teton, at that time of the year the summer trails at lower
elevations usually are snow covered in shady spots and clear and dry in
the sun, up to some level where they become mainly snow covered. This
makes hiking frustrating. Usually one heads to areas that are hot and
dry in the summer. Rebecca Woods' hiking guides generally have a few
trails in this category. Backcountry skiing access doesn't usually
follow the summer trails, so it's a question of figuring out where the
snow is, how to get there, and whether it's worthwhile to try.
Personally, I wouldn't count on it.

Elk are the usual wildlife to see in GTNP, but they generally don't calf
until the last half of June. Yellowstone is probably a better bet all
around.

Carol in Jackson Hole