Snows on the way!

Old February 8th 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default Snows on the way!

On 7 Feb, 05:54, "pg" wrote:
"Roger Moss" wrote in message

|| "JR" wrote in message

| Hey, just try not to track the whole hill out before I get there end
of
| next week!
| John
|
| "Matt T" wrote in message
| roups.com...
| On 5 Feb, 08:45, "JR" wrote:
| Just in case people haven't been checking, there are some fairly
big
| snows
| on the way for the alps for next weekend! Looks like there could
be some
| reasonable snow for the 1/2 term weekend after all!
|
| John
|
| PS. Checkout 6 day reports onwww.snow-forecast.com
|
| Ooh... and it's just started bang on schedule. Got an inch on the
| roads already and visibility is somewhat lacking....
|
| Quick, where are my powder skis?
|
| Matt
|

| Here in France the forecasts have been pretty encouraging for a rapid
| sorting out of the season, with snowfalls above 1000m at least until
the end
| of the week. I was in Sainte-Foy Tarentaise a couple of weeks back
when
| things were far from perfect, and still enjoyed some great skiing -
anyone
| heading there from now on is in for a treat. It'll be interesting to
see how
| other areas fare...

Talking to the locals last night (ski school owners, lift company
people) the general rather pessimistic view was that the forecast snow
(in the Tarentaise) is very unlikely to be substantial - at least, over
the next week.

Petehttp://mysnowsports.com

I don't know about 'substantial' but the roads are like skating rinks
at the moment. 2 hour return trip from Lac to Brevieres last night -
put the car sideways twice and got rear ended once by a Fiat doing a
360 as he flew out of a hairpin. Chains and 4 wheel drive ain't gonna
get you out of that, but luckily my car's built like a tank whilst his
wasn't.

Matt

Old February 8th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

4 inches of snow in Cheltenham this morning.....shame no ski lifts. If it
freezes over-night we'll have ice-rink conditions here too.

"Matt T" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 8th 07, 11:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 8 Feb, 12:34, "JR" wrote:
4 inches of snow in Cheltenham this morning.....shame no ski lifts.

Well, at least a season pass must be cheap... :-)

Old February 8th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:34:48 -0000, "JR"
wrote:

4 inches of snow in Cheltenham this morning.....shame no ski lifts. If it
freezes over-night we'll have ice-rink conditions here too.

I reckon it was 3 inches :-)

I've just walked into town and all the roads are clear already, as far
as I can see. Of course, it'll need to be gritted to stop the melted
snow freezing.
--
Champ
Old February 8th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Alun Evans

On Thu 08 Feb '07 at 12:34 "JR" wrote:

4 inches of snow in Cheltenham this morning.....shame no ski lifts.

Aren't you a few minutes drive from the Gloucester dry slope? iirc they've got
a few poma's.

Hmm, I wonder what it's like in Bracknell.

A.
Old February 8th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

The dryslope is a possibility.....you can duck through the gate at the top
and ski over the golf course, coming back in at the bottom!

Dryslope best avoided when its dry!

Old February 8th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

Was going off the news report which said 4" in east of the county. - 4
overnight should make a beautiful skid-pan in the morning! I get a great
view of a slight hill on a corner from the office window!

I just love the chaos a couple of inches causes in this country, I think it
is hilarious!

Old February 8th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd JR :
I just love the chaos a couple of inches causes in this country, I think it
is hilarious!

Try 3 feet (about 1 metre), as was on our road this morning. That's not
hilarious. Even with my snow chains and winter tyres there was no point
in attempting that.

Still snowing (@15:05):
http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais/weather/...ic_latest.html

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old February 8th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

Yes, I imagine it would be with the amount of precipitation you get in the
hills above Aberystwyth. I've camped at Devil's Bridge a few times....nearly
always wet.

Would need quite a bit more before I could wangle a day off myself!

John

Felly sgrifennodd JR :

Old February 8th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Devs

In message , Adrian D. Shaw
writes
Felly sgrifennodd JR :
I just love the chaos a couple of inches causes in this country, I think it
is hilarious!

Try 3 feet (about 1 metre), as was on our road this morning. That's not
hilarious. Even with my snow chains and winter tyres there was no point
in attempting that.

Still snowing (@15:05):
http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais/weather/...ic_latest.html

That's not snow, the grass is still poking through! I was out mountain
biking in worse today. Are you anything to do with the big weather radar
thing at Capel Dewi?
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"