Tours/Traverses Whistler Area

Old January 19th 04, 11:42 AM
Edward Wood

Default Tours/Traverses Whistler Area

Hello Friends:

I'm considering a tour in the Whistler area the end of March and have been
looking at Baldwin's guide. Seems like either Athelney Pass,
Squamish-Cheamakus Divide, Ashlu-Elaho Divide might be good options. Other
possibilities include Cloudraker Peak area, Gowan Creek, and Maquam Mtn. As
you can see I hope to narrow down to one or two options. My main concerns
would be too many snowmobiles or heli-skiiers sharing the area.

Any info, thoughts, web links etc would be much appreciated.

Happy trails,

Ted

Old January 19th 04, 10:46 PM
Fern

You don't say how long of a tour you are looking for.

www.bivouac.com may be able to provide you with some
information, also the BC provincial highways department may
have info on which logging roads are still active and
plowed, since this will be the crux to getting into some of
the areas you have mentioned unless you are prepared to hire
a helicopter or snowmobile for access yourself.

If you place high value on being away from motorized users
then touring into the interior of Garibaldi Park may be a
good choice as they are not allowed in the Park. For example
the McBride Traverse, The Garibaldi Neve traverse, touring
around Garibaldi lake, Mt. Mamquam.

The Duffey Lake road is another popular choice, with
numerous backcountry huts and open terrain and relatively
few motorized users although there are no restrictions on
them here. Cerise Creek, Cayoosh Creek, Marriot Basin etc.

-f

Old January 27th 04, 06:58 PM
Edward Wood

Hi Fern:

Thanks for your helpful feedback on trip ideas. Duffey lake sounds good. As
for time frame, we are looking for a 4 or 5 day intro to the area. Was
thinking in particular of the Lizzie lake area, and also the Ashlu-Elaho
divide. Any idea about snowmobiles in these areas?

The Athelney pass area sounds fantastic but looks really hard to get to in
mid-winter. Apparently the Lillooet River road is locked not far outside
Pemberton. The Lizzie Lake road apparently washed out, but that shouldn't
hinder a ski approach(?)

Will check Bivouac.

Thanks again.

Ted