Can I set my own bindings?

Old February 14th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Can I set my own bindings?

bumpfreaq wrote:
On Feb 14, 9:20 am, Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Feb 13, 5:24 pm, Walt wrote:
Yeah, like tattoos, haircuts, and appendectomies, you don't want to do
it yourself and you don't want to go to the cheapest guy in town.
Hey, what's wrong with cutting my own hair?

Well, it seems like an unnecessary effort for one.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=photo&gid=381229&pid=363620&src=flash_slidet...

//Walt

Hooohooo! To the contrary, it's a necessary effort to cut lots and
lots of my hairs a few times a week in order to maintain that clean
and shiny look.

Chris
3 more days of work
4 more days 'til I'm driving west
5 more days 'til sliding down that slippery slope

And.... it's snowing in CO

SnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowSnowsnowsnowsn owsnowsnowsnowsnowsnow
Snowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowbeercheeseands now

Clearly a terminal case of short-timer syndrome.

Old February 15th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
jimbo

Well, lots of good advice. BUT, unless the "expert" you choose uses
the device that actually pops the boot out of the binding to check the
release torque, you might as well do it your self. I haven't seen any
rental shop that does anything more than set the DIN. In fact, I
haven't seen any retail stores that do anything more. I have seen only
one "expert" shop that used the device I mentioned.

Just my opinion, jimbo

Suanne Lippman wrote:
I just bought a pair of Fischer skis and bindings over the internet for my
wife. (actually everyone local was out of stock for the year!)
The system is such that mounting the bindings and setting them for the boot
size is pretty foolproof. She is a very conservative skier, so setting the
adjustments at the very bottom of the scale (4) like her old skis should be
fine.
I am able to pop the boots out with what seems like a reasonable amount of
force

Is there any compelling reason to have an "expert" check this over; are
brand new binding likely to be really far off? If it were for me I wouldn't
worry about it, but I would hate to see someone else get hurt because I
would spring for a prudent expense.

Thanks.

Old February 15th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"jimbo" wrote in message
. ..
Well, lots of good advice. BUT, unless the "expert" you choose uses the
device that actually pops the boot out of the binding to check the release
torque, you might as well do it your self. I haven't seen any rental shop
that does anything more than set the DIN. In fact, I haven't seen any
retail stores that do anything more. I have seen only one "expert" shop
that used the device I mentioned.

Just my opinion, jimbo

I seen a few places do the binding test at others I haven't because it was
done in a room that you have no access to.
The tool goes in side the boot and has a gauge similar to a torque wrench
but when the boot pops out it hold the reading.

I believe most shops have the tool but generally it is kept out of sight.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 15th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Two Buddha

You ought to use my shop.
I brought a case of beer and four pairs of skis this year, all I needed was
a base grinds.
They checked the binders on each pair, for free, with that little torque
doohickey.
You gotta know how to treat a shop rat....

Two Buddha

Vail: Where skis never need to be tuned.

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam Alarm
from Dignity Software http://www.dignitysoftware.com
. ..

Old February 15th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

jimbo wrote:

Well, lots of good advice. BUT, unless the "expert" you choose uses
the device that actually pops the boot out of the binding to check the
release torque, you might as well do it your self. I haven't seen any
rental shop that does anything more than set the DIN. In fact, I
haven't seen any retail stores that do anything more. I have seen only
one "expert" shop that used the device I mentioned.

I set my own bindings, but during a slow time I asked the tech at my
favorite hill a lot of questions, got a lot of useful information, and he
torque-tested my bindings for free. I put $5 in the tip jar and we parted
friends.

Yeah, I'd done it right.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 15th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

JQ wrote:

"jimbo" wrote:
Well, lots of good advice. BUT, unless the "expert" you choose uses the
device that actually pops the boot out of the binding to check the release
torque, you might as well do it your self. I haven't seen any rental shop
that does anything more than set the DIN. In fact, I haven't seen any
retail stores that do anything more. I have seen only one "expert" shop
that used the device I mentioned.

Just my opinion, jimbo

I seen a few places do the binding test at others I haven't because it was
done in a room that you have no access to.
The tool goes in side the boot and has a gauge similar to a torque wrench
but when the boot pops out it hold the reading.

I believe most shops have the tool but generally it is kept out of sight.

It seems like it might not be all that difficult to make your own out of a
shoe tree and a torque wrench.

--
Cheers, Bev
Never argue with a woman holding a torque wrench.
Old February 15th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

bumpfreaq wrote:
On Feb 14, 9:20 am, Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Feb 13, 5:24 pm, Walt wrote:
[...]

You are so invested in getting out of where you are to go
on to the next thing that you are incapable of doing any
real work where you are now.
Old February 15th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

jimbo wrote:
Well, lots of good advice. BUT, unless the "expert" you choose uses the
device that actually pops the boot out of the binding to check the
release torque, you might as well do it your self. I haven't seen any
rental shop that does anything more than set the DIN. In fact, I haven't
seen any retail stores that do anything more. I have seen only one
"expert" shop that used the device I mentioned.

If the "expert" doesn't use the release check device, don't pay him.

Just my opinion, jimbo

Old February 15th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

The Real Bev wrote:
JQ wrote:

"jimbo" wrote:
Well, lots of good advice. BUT, unless the "expert" you choose uses
the device that actually pops the boot out of the binding to check
the release torque, you might as well do it your self. I haven't seen
any rental shop that does anything more than set the DIN. In fact, I
haven't seen any retail stores that do anything more. I have seen
only one "expert" shop that used the device I mentioned.

Just my opinion, jimbo

I seen a few places do the binding test at others I haven't because it
was done in a room that you have no access to.
The tool goes in side the boot and has a gauge similar to a torque
wrench but when the boot pops out it hold the reading.

I believe most shops have the tool but generally it is kept out of sight.

It seems like it might not be all that difficult to make your own out of
a shoe tree and a torque wrench.

That is essentially the Vermont Safety Research system.

1) you need to be able to read the torque wrench at the instant
of release. To do this, the VSR wrench has a little plastic
sliding thingy (technical term) that moves with the indicator
and stays put when the indicator pops back to zero. I don't
know if VSR puts the plastic thingy on the wrench or if the
wrench comes that way.

2) with those two items you can now test lateral release at
the toepiece.

3) to test forward release (more important IMO, because my
ONLY releases in the last 10 years were sticking my skis into
a mogul and having a double eject), you will need a "leg" for
the shoe tree. The torque settings depend on the length of
the "leg" and the leg has to be firmly attached to the boot.

To me this is the larger problem.

4) your torque wrench needs to be calibrated in newton-meters
(European standard) not foot-pounds (US standard). Not a
difficult problem, but will avoid a lot of math since the
tables for binding torque values are all listed in Newton-
meters.