Ugly boots - paint 'em?

Old November 28th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
jennifer muise

Default Ugly boots - paint 'em?

My 14-year old DS has found a pair of used ski boots that fit him nicely.
But they are purple and green and he is not too keen on buying them. Since
he's likely to need a larger size next year, maybe we could paint them an
more acceptable colour.

Has anyone attempted this? What did you do, and how did it go?

Thanks,

Old November 28th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

jennifer muise wrote:
My 14-year old DS has found a pair of used ski boots that fit him nicely.
But they are purple and green and he is not too keen on buying them. Since
he's likely to need a larger size next year, maybe we could paint them an
more acceptable colour.

Has anyone attempted this? What did you do, and how did it go?

Thanks,

Purple and green? What could be kewler than that?
I mean, have you seen the colors of the new boots
on the market for this year? The Dalbello park
boots are WHITE for cryin' out loud!

Uhm, no I've never tried to paint plastic ski boots,
though I have seen some that looked like they were
painted. Very rough looking.
Old November 28th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

VtSkier wrote:

jennifer muise wrote:
My 14-year old DS has found a pair of used ski boots that fit him nicely.
But they are purple and green and he is not too keen on buying them. Since
he's likely to need a larger size next year, maybe we could paint them an
more acceptable colour.

Has anyone attempted this? What did you do, and how did it go?

Purple and green? What could be kewler than that?
I mean, have you seen the colors of the new boots
on the market for this year? The Dalbello park
boots are WHITE for cryin' out loud!

Uhm, no I've never tried to paint plastic ski boots,
though I have seen some that looked like they were
painted. Very rough looking.

One word: camo. It will look right no matter how awful it is.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old November 28th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

jennifer muise wrote:
My 14-year old DS has found a pair of used ski boots that fit him nicely.
But they are purple and green and he is not too keen on buying them. Since
he's likely to need a larger size next year, maybe we could paint them an
more acceptable colour.

Has anyone attempted this? What did you do, and how did it go?

Duct tape. Wrap em up. Tell him there's nothing cooler than real
mountain men and real mountain men all use duct tape for everything. If
you need help getting this concept over to a gen zippy, enlist Klaus' help.

I'm almost serious.
Old November 28th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

jennifer muise wrote:
My 14-year old DS has found a pair of used ski boots that fit him nicely.
But they are purple and green and he is not too keen on buying them. Since
he's likely to need a larger size next year, maybe we could paint them an
more acceptable colour.

Has anyone attempted this? What did you do, and how did it go?

Purple and green? What could be kewler than that?
I mean, have you seen the colors of the new boots
on the market for this year? The Dalbello park
boots are WHITE for cryin' out loud!

Uhm, no I've never tried to paint plastic ski boots,
though I have seen some that looked like they were
painted. Very rough looking.

One word: camo. It will look right no matter how awful it is.

Where do you buy camo paint?

Old November 28th 06, 10:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

Richard Henry wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

jennifer muise wrote:

My 14-year old DS has found a pair of used ski boots that fit him nicely.
But they are purple and green and he is not too keen on buying them. Since
he's likely to need a larger size next year, maybe we could paint them an
more acceptable colour.

Has anyone attempted this? What did you do, and how did it go?

Purple and green? What could be kewler than that?
I mean, have you seen the colors of the new boots
on the market for this year? The Dalbello park
boots are WHITE for cryin' out loud!

Uhm, no I've never tried to paint plastic ski boots,
though I have seen some that looked like they were
painted. Very rough looking.

One word: camo. It will look right no matter how awful it is.

Where do you buy camo paint?

It's on the shelves at your local handyman store, but difficult to see.
HTH HAND
Old November 28th 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"jennifer muise" wrote in message
.. .
My 14-year old DS has found a pair of used ski boots that fit him nicely.
But they are purple and green and he is not too keen on buying them.

Since
he's likely to need a larger size next year, maybe we could paint them an
more acceptable colour.

Has anyone attempted this? What did you do, and how did it go?

Try a big black indelible marker pen.

Bob

Old November 28th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
jennifer muise

"BrritSki" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

One word: camo. It will look right no matter how awful it is.

Where do you buy camo paint?

It's on the shelves at your local handyman store, but difficult to see.
HTH HAND

Hmm, you've given me an idea. He's more of a tie-dye guy. Can I find
tie-dye paint near the camo paint?

OTOH, I wonder if he'd like 'em if I told him they cost 20 times the asking
price (a mere 30 bucks. Canadian.)

Old November 28th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ernie

"jennifer muise" wrote in message
.. .
My 14-year old DS has found a pair of used ski boots that fit him nicely.
But they are purple and green and he is not too keen on buying them.

Since
he's likely to need a larger size next year, maybe we could paint them an
more acceptable colour.

Has anyone attempted this? What did you do, and how did it go?

Thanks,

Since the exterior of ski boots are plastic (polyurethane used to be the
most commonly used) if you want to paint them, use a paint that is sold for
plastics. Krylon is one of the brands; see
http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

Make sure that you allow several days for the paint to dry and for the
solvents to evaporate before using the boots.

Ernie

Old November 28th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
tg

"Sven Golly" wrote in message
. 96.26...
"jennifer muise" wrote in news:BNMah.25305
:

Has anyone attempted this? What did you do, and how did it go?

I'm pretty sure most paints won't stick to ski boots. The plastics are
pretty slippery.

Many plastics can be painted, but also usually require one of the following
1. Special primers (Adhesion promoter) and paints that can flex (as in
painted bumpers and automotive body panels)
2. Surface treatment of chemical etching, flame treating (Wait that sounds
fun - try that first!)
3. Sanding or surface roughening to allow the paint to grab or hold

You could try sanding and then let your kids use them for paint ball target
practice - then try a good paint formulated for plastics.

Try Krylon Fusion for plastics paint

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...t=product_list

And no, I haven't done it.