torn toenail

Old January 3rd 05, 01:17 AM
Fritz M

Default torn toenail

I discovered that my closet door *almost* clears the top of my big toe
-- about a toenail's width in fact. I ripped about half of my toenail
off.

Has anyone done this and gone skiing? Walking in my snug-fitting
athletic shoes is painful after a short distance. My loose fitting
shoes work much better. My ski boots fit perfectly. I'm worried if I
try to hit the slopes this week I'll be very sorry later on.
TIA for knowledgable replies.

RFM
Longmont, CO USA

Old January 3rd 05, 01:21 AM
ant

"Fritz M" wrote in message

Has anyone done this and gone skiing? Walking in my snug-fitting
athletic shoes is painful after a short distance. My loose fitting
shoes work much better. My ski boots fit perfectly. I'm worried if I
try to hit the slopes this week I'll be very sorry later on.

I regularly bruise my big toe nails in my boots so they go black and
horrible. They are at it again. When the nail drops off, you realise why
you have toenails. Best thing is a bit of athletic tape, and wrap the toe
closely in one layer of that. Not too tight. That seems to take the
immediate pain out of it and stops the skin moving where the nail would
normally be.

ant

Old January 3rd 05, 01:22 AM
ant

oh, forgot. If it's still weepy and yucky, use something non-stick over the
nail bit. Gauze or similar.

Old January 3rd 05, 01:27 AM
Jay Pique

On 2 Jan 2005 18:17:27 -0800, "Fritz M" wrote:

I discovered that my closet door *almost* clears the top of my big toe
-- about a toenail's width in fact. I ripped about half of my toenail
off.

Has anyone done this and gone skiing? Walking in my snug-fitting
athletic shoes is painful after a short distance. My loose fitting
shoes work much better. My ski boots fit perfectly. I'm worried if I
try to hit the slopes this week I'll be very sorry later on.
TIA for knowledgable replies.

You're bitching about a sore TOENAIL? Feel free to take offense, but
you sound like a whiny little bitch. Foot goes in boot. Boot goes in
binding. Binding is attached to ski, which goes wherever the **** you
tell it to go. Will you be "sorry" later on? I hope to Christ not.

JP
**************************
Flatlander for the moment. And hating it.
Old January 3rd 05, 02:54 AM
lal_truckee

Fritz M wrote:
I discovered that my closet door *almost* clears the top of my big toe
-- about a toenail's width in fact. I ripped about half of my toenail
off.

Has anyone done this and gone skiing? Walking in my snug-fitting
athletic shoes is painful after a short distance. My loose fitting
shoes work much better. My ski boots fit perfectly. I'm worried if I
try to hit the slopes this week I'll be very sorry later on.
TIA for knowledgable replies.

Well, you'll know if you clench your toes, a common behavior in less
than perfectly fitting boots; and also common if you have hesitation or
fear. But you shouldn't be in either state.

Seriously, I've skied without a toe nail without problems or pain - see
Ant's advice; it's sound. Probably your biggest problem if you have
close fitting boots will be getting your foot into the boot without
scraping that missing toenail; once in you should be fine. Just be sure
your boot fits and is snug enough to keep your foot from sliding around.
Old January 3rd 05, 03:37 AM

Gawd save us. Scooter obsessing about Ant's feet again.

Old January 3rd 05, 05:30 AM
rosco

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

If you can read JP's post without crying, I believe you will most likely
make it through your TOENAIL ISSUE without lifelong trama.

RAC

PS - If you need some support in dealing with JP's nasty reply, tell me
and I will get my mama to bitchslap him for you. If you say please.

Old January 3rd 05, 01:13 PM
Mary Malmros

rosco wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

As noted above, JP's temporarily a flatlander, and should be excused for
feeling peevish.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 3rd 05, 04:34 PM
Fritz M

lal_truckee wrote:

Seriously, I've skied without a toe nail without problems or pain -
see Ant's advice; it's sound

Thanks for relaying the experience. Non-stick dressing and bandage to
cover the wound was the first thing I did. I also rode my bike 20 miles
this morning (26 F, light snow, heavy fog) -- there was some discomfort
in my cycling shoes at first, but no real pain.

RFM

Old January 3rd 05, 05:14 PM

Scott, we know you are lying. No woman would date you.