Saturday Workout

Old May 9th 04, 12:32 AM
Eric Shmo Chandler

Default Saturday Workout

The wife did a Mother's Day walk with my daughter in the stroller to
fight cancer. Then, after me and the boy cheered her home, I went for
a solo run stringing a lot of Duluth Parks together. My house to
Chester Bowl, to trails behind St. Scholastica, to Rice Lake Rd, to
Hartley Park (and the small bald knob), to Congdon Park (along Tischer
Creek) and home. Tired now.
Old May 9th 04, 02:23 PM
Marsh Jones

Eric Shmo Chandler wrote:
The wife did a Mother's Day walk with my daughter in the stroller to
fight cancer. Then, after me and the boy cheered her home, I went for
a solo run stringing a lot of Duluth Parks together. My house to
Chester Bowl, to trails behind St. Scholastica, to Rice Lake Rd, to
Hartley Park (and the small bald knob), to Congdon Park (along Tischer
Creek) and home. Tired now.

Sounds like a great way to spend Saturday - good cause, family, nice day
for a run.

OK, I'm wrestling with the last part. I've got to get back to the point
where going out for a run is fun again. Right now I just suffer.

I drove over to Holcombe, WI (south of Ladysmith) and did the Triple-R
triathlon yesterday. 5k run, 13.5mi bike, 7mi paddle, in that order,
which makes it kinda interesting. I noticed an uptick even from last
year in the number of kevlar boats and carbon bicycles, but it's still a
pretty low-key event put on by Flater's resort and their softball team.
I haven't run much this spring - maybe once a week, and never more than
about 2miles. I've been riding more and paddling about the same as last
year, and figuring I'll get around to running. So I lined up toward the
back and suffered thru the run at a 10min pace. Not disasterous, but
slow - I hate spotting the faster folks 8-10 minutes on the first leg.
The bike started out with a mile long climb, with dead hamstrings and a
high pulse rate. But once I got over the top, I put it in the 12 and
rolled it up. The bike leg has about a mile of dirt road, which greatly
changes your tire selection. 20mm tires just aren't a good idea. Passed
lots of people on the bike, just not quite catching up to the leaders.
The bike-to-boat transition went fine, but with water levels down about
a foot from last year, I was really glad I was in a solo. I passed two
carbon cruisers struggling thru the suck water in the first mile or so
of creek, while a C1 just glides over the top. Once on the river, I
tried to focus on picking off boats, passing several. I could see
another solo ahead, and managed to pick him off just before the finish
straight. Boy did I keep looking over my shoulder to make sure he
didn't come back! Fun stuff - 1st solo, and I think 5th boat OA. Now
if I could just get the running to be more fun.

Marsh Jones
Old May 9th 04, 05:15 PM
Jay Tegeder

Marsh Jones wrote in message news

I drove over to Holcombe, WI (south of Ladysmith) and did the Triple-R
triathlon yesterday. 5k run, 13.5mi bike, 7mi paddle, in that order,
which makes it kinda interesting. I noticed an uptick even from last
year in the number of kevlar boats and carbon bicycles,

I agree with the number of Carbon bikes increasing at the local
events. Seems like everyone is getting in on the act. Trek still has
the vast numbers with the 5200, 5500, 5900, Madone etc. The Giant TCR
is a real decent value. Carbon is so much lighter than Aluminum or
steel. One of my bike buddies has a Carbon Time. It has to be around
16 pounds. It's a bummer chasing him up the hills with such a light
bike.

1st solo, and I think 5th boat OA. Now
if I could just get the running to be more fun.

Fantastic result! It was worth the drive...

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT
Old May 9th 04, 05:43 PM
Marsh Jones

Jay Tegeder wrote:
Marsh Jones wrote in message news

I drove over to Holcombe, WI (south of Ladysmith) and did the Triple-R
triathlon yesterday. 5k run, 13.5mi bike, 7mi paddle, in that order,
which makes it kinda interesting. I noticed an uptick even from last
year in the number of kevlar boats and carbon bicycles,

I agree with the number of Carbon bikes increasing at the local
events. Seems like everyone is getting in on the act. Trek still has
the vast numbers with the 5200, 5500, 5900, Madone etc. The Giant TCR
is a real decent value. Carbon is so much lighter than Aluminum or
steel. One of my bike buddies has a Carbon Time. It has to be around
16 pounds. It's a bummer chasing him up the hills with such a light
bike.

I figure before I invest 8 years' worth of skiing in a new bike, I'm
better off losing 15 more pounds:-) Since I'm not planning on
mass-start racing this year, I can get by on my 15yo Raleigh or my TT
bike. Now wheels are another story - sorta like ski poles. I did get a
set of Hed H3s for time trials. Worth a couple of mph, easy.

Marsh

Old May 11th 04, 03:07 AM
Chris Cline

Eric Shmo Chandler wrote:
The wife did a Mother's Day walk with my daughter

in the stroller to
fight cancer. Then, after me and the boy cheered

her home, I went for
a solo run stringing a lot of Duluth Parks

together. My house to
Chester Bowl, to trails behind St. Scholastica, to

Rice Lake Rd, to
Hartley Park (and the small bald knob), to Congdon

Park (along Tischer
Creek) and home. Tired now.

I had my first week of feeling "on track" for my
mid-summer goal race (the 50-miler)--
Ran for about 2:20 on flat to rolling trails on the
east side of Salt Lake City (the Shoreline trail--
great place for running or mtn biking-- if you're
visiting SLC and interested, ask me for details).
Discovered that I can go about 2 hours without having
to have something more than a little Gu. Meaning, the
last 20 minutes were spent longing for the food that
was in my car! Next weekend I'm hoping to go for 3
hrs-- with food this time.

Sunday, did a mothers' day shamble along the Bear
River parkway, while my friend taught his 6-year-old
son how to ride a bike. Followed by crawfish-fishin'
(bacon on a string).

A great weekend all in all-
Chris