best camera and camcorder for skiing?

Old December 29th 04, 05:42 PM
peter

Default best camera and camcorder for skiing?

Yesterday I went skiing with some friends and I brought along an old hi8
camcorder and a digital camera. They worked ok except they were a bit bulky,
clumsy to swap in and out of the day pack, and it was hard to operate the
little buttons on them with gloves.

Is there an all-in-one camcorder/camera that is easy to operate with a
gloved hand? I would like the camera portion to be at least 4 MP and the
camcorder portion to output DV via firewire, but would rather it uses memory
card instead of miniDV tape or DVD, even if the max recording time is under
1 hour. Water-resistance is desirable since bringing them from outoor to
indoor would create condensation.

I realize this is a tall order. So I would settle for recommendation on the
best digital camera for skiing and best camcorder for skiing (two devices).

I don't need to produce warren miller type video or photos. Just snap shots
of friends skiing on green/blue run, standing around, falling, etc.

Old December 29th 04, 07:03 PM
Lisa Horton

peter wrote:

[...]

Canon S1 IS. Digital pictures and digital movies stored to CF card, the
cheapest per MB type of card. The pictures are good, the movies are
excellent, easily surpassing the quality you get from a regular 8mm
tape.

Lisa
Old December 29th 04, 07:41 PM
Mike

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
Canon S1 IS. Digital pictures and digital movies stored to CF card, the
cheapest per MB type of card. The pictures are good, the movies are
excellent, easily surpassing the quality you get from a regular 8mm
tape.

I don't agree... that's a digital camera and he wants a video camera. The
standard is miniDV I think you should just stick with that. Check out CNETs
Camcorder section for more info.

Old December 29th 04, 09:11 PM
KentB

Can't say what is the 'best' but I can say what I use. I have quit using a
still camera while skiing so all my comments are about video.

I have a Sony TRV-38 digital camcorder that has worked well for me. I have
to take my right glove off and ski with just the glove liner while filming.
I have had ZERO problems with waterproofing or condensation even with
numerous falls while filming. This camcorder spends part of everyday inside
my jacket and part outside. After being outside and getting cold getting
stuffed inside my sweaty jacket should be a tough test for condensation
induced troubles. The biggest problem I've had is the touch screen is not
bright enough to see while in the shade and not visible at all in direct
sunlight. You have to find just the right shade to be able to see the sceen
to set up special functions (see below).

Before that was a Sony TRV615 Hi8 camcorder. It was larger and bulkier but
I could sometimes use the buttons with lightweight gloves on. I had only
one real complaint about this camcorder - getting the video off the tape so
I could digitally edit and produce a DVD. Now I run it through the TRV38
then capture from firewire. I was spoiled to the ~3 hour tape length of the
Hi8. I could get get several days of skiing onto one tape. With the 1 hour
miniDV tapes, I usually have to change the tape unless we are skiing trees
where I'm chicken to video while skiing.

Taping while skiing REALLY improved my skiing - especially bump skiing.
Keeping my head and shoulders steady and down the fall line isn't just an
instructors idea of good form. It REALLY makes everything else work. I
have skied and video'd my wife and others on double diamond bump runs. I
put both poles in my left hand and the camera hand strap on my right hand
and start skiing.

As far as falling while taping - I've got tape of many falls. I never ski
with the display open for fear of breaking it off in a fall. I sight down
the top and lens side of the camera to align the picture. When the fall
starts I pull my right hand to my chest to protect the camera. So far (5
years), no camera damage even though I've packed snow into every nook and
cranny of the camera.

Last week I started trying using a helmet camera feeding into the TRV38. I
worked, but needs much tweeking. I think I post a separate thread about
this in hopes others will lend me their experiences.

Old December 30th 04, 01:00 AM
ant

"peter" wrote in
So I would settle for recommendation on the best digital camera for skiing

the best camera is small! cos then you'll always have it in your pocket. I
fought off the temptation to get semi-SLR digitals when I got my first
camera (in feb) and instead went for a good quality micro: I got a Canon
Ixus, 4mp and very tiny. The latest offerings from them are even smaller.
It works great, the only annoyance being shutter lag. You can get round it
by taking the multi-shot option, or anticipating (like when photographing
people jumping) and that is my only quibble with it. It is fine in cold
weather, it's tiny, robust, and takes nice shots.

ant

Old December 30th 04, 01:27 AM
Lisa Horton

Mike wrote:

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
Canon S1 IS. Digital pictures and digital movies stored to CF card, the
cheapest per MB type of card. The pictures are good, the movies are
excellent, easily surpassing the quality you get from a regular 8mm
tape.

I don't agree... that's a digital camera and he wants a video camera. The
standard is miniDV I think you should just stick with that. Check out CNETs
Camcorder section for more info.

I think our preferences are showing He asked about a combination
camcorder/camera. Being a photographer, I suggested a camera that takes
good video. A MiniDV unit would be an answer, as long as it
incorporated still camera functionality as he requested.

Might be good for the OP to mention if his emphasis is on stills or
video, or equally divided.

Lisa
Old December 30th 04, 01:40 AM
ant

"AstroPax" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:00:14 +1100, "ant"
wrote:

the best camera is small!

Bwaaahaahaahaaaaahaaaaa!!!!

That's just like saying the best skis are short.

sigh. Read his question again...the best camera for his purposes is a small
one as opposed to a large one.

ant

Old December 30th 04, 01:54 AM
Jon C

ant wrote:
"peter" wrote in

So I would settle for recommendation on the best digital camera for skiing

the best camera is small! cos then you'll always have it in your pocket. I
fought off the temptation to get semi-SLR digitals

WTF is a semi-SLR camera?
Old December 30th 04, 02:05 AM
ant

"Jon C" wrote in message
ant wrote:
"peter" wrote in

So I would settle for recommendation on the best digital camera for
skiing

the best camera is small! cos then you'll always have it in your pocket.
I fought off the temptation to get semi-SLR digitals

WTF is a semi-SLR camera?

The Fuji ones spring to mind. Large lenses, large bodies, more features, but
not 'real' SLRs, they just look like them. the S-7000 and 5000's, for
instance.

ant

Old December 30th 04, 04:35 AM
peter

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message

Might be good for the OP to mention if his emphasis is on stills or
video, or equally divided.

Equally divided. I like video to be 30fps, zoomable while shooting and
editable afterwards.