Conditions at Mt Bachelor

Old March 11th 05, 03:35 AM
David

Default Conditions at Mt Bachelor

Anybody ride Mt Bachelor lately? What did you think?

No snow recently as far as I know. It it mostly manufactured? Would I need a rock board?
I was planning to go on the 19th, but I'm thinking about making different plans.

Old March 11th 05, 03:57 AM
Mike T

Anybody ride Mt Bachelor lately? What did you think?

No snow recently as far as I know. It it mostly manufactured? Would I
need a rock board?
I was planning to go on the 19th, but I'm thinking about making different
plans.

I am going this weekend, and will let you know. I was there two weeks ago
and did not use my rock board but I probably will this time, I picked up a
few minor and easily repairable dings and there has been no new snow since.

I expect the front side to have decent coverage on the groomed runs, but the
backside to have plenty of hay and rocks showing through.

I was at Mt Hood Meadows last Saturday and Timberline yesterday, and both
are hurting badly.

Mike T

Old March 11th 05, 04:10 AM
David

"Mike T" wrote in message news:UG8Yd.43585$uc.21729@trnddc01...

I am going this weekend, and will let you know. I was there two weeks ago
and did not use my rock board but I probably will this time, I picked up a
few minor and easily repairable dings and there has been no new snow since.

I expect the front side to have decent coverage on the groomed runs, but the
backside to have plenty of hay and rocks showing through.

Thanks!! I was planning to go up for Spring Break. I keep hearing bad stuff about this PNW Winter.
Bachelor's online photos looked OK, and I thought I'd better ask. I haven't been to Hood in ages.
Too bad about conditions up there.

I just saw the Bend extended forcast for rain/snow on the 19th, so things *could* improve--although
I've never actually seen an extended forcast for the mountains hold true.

I guess I could go to Bend and ride my bike. If the road is open past Bachelor, I remember amazing
dirt up that way...

Old March 11th 05, 04:29 AM
Mike T

I guess I could go to Bend and ride my bike. If the road is open past
Bachelor, I remember amazing
dirt up that way...

They won't open that road until the last of the snow has melted off of it.

Old March 11th 05, 06:10 AM
David

"Mike T" wrote in message news:q89Yd.43592$uc.5928@trnddc01...
I guess I could go to Bend and ride my bike. If the road is open past
Bachelor, I remember amazing
dirt up that way...

They won't open that road until the last of the snow has melted off of it.

Didn't think it was likely it would be open. I see Hoodoo, which I think is the 2nd closest
resort to Bend is closing for the season after tomorrow. Ouch!

Turns out my plans were for a week later than I thought so a little more chance to get
some snow...

Old March 11th 05, 08:56 AM
Switters

I had an e-mail yesterday from a friend whose in BC, doing a tour of
places like Kicking Horse and Fernie, with some cat-stuff thrown in.
Conditions are dire. Worst conditions for 30 years apparently.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old March 12th 05, 03:01 AM
todd

....ouch, that hurts.

i'm leaving thursday for a trip to Nelson. Snowcat trip the following
week w/ baldface. damn. what a year to pre-book a trip like this!
sh*t.

Old March 12th 05, 06:20 AM
Bob Pebly

There's been snow in the forecast 7-10 days out all winter long and look
what we've got. There's free beer at the pub tomorrow too...

Bob

Old March 12th 05, 07:23 PM
G.Kirkwood

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:35:07 -0800, "David"
wrote:

Anybody ride Mt Bachelor lately? What did you think?

No snow recently as far as I know. It it mostly manufactured? Would I need a rock board?
I was planning to go on the 19th, but I'm thinking about making different plans.

I was there the past few days, and it was OK. Most of the main runs
have enough coverage. the Air Chamber (park) has a lot of bare spots
and straw showing, so it's pretty dodgy. they've been doing a ****
poor job of grooming though, IMO.

Old March 14th 05, 04:17 AM
Mike T

I was there the past few days, and it was OK. Most of the main runs
have enough coverage.

Agreed - front side runs were kept up pretty well, NorthWest / Outback had
more rocks showing through.

the Air Chamber (park) has a lot of bare spots
and straw showing, so it's pretty dodgy.

I didn't go in the park - partly because of all the bare spots seen from the
Skyliner lift!

they've been doing a ****
poor job of grooming though, IMO.

IMHO it wasn't *that* bad! But I'm used to Mount Hood Meadows, home of the
worst grooming this side of hell. It's a miracle I ride alpine when I
think about it!