ankle injuries

Old December 19th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

Default ankle injuries

hey now - any of you ever hurt your ankle riding? I'm told I have
a mild grade 2 sprain on my lead foot just below the knobby bone.
Was traversing on toe edge through about 8" of chop on a steep run,
was a little bouncy with frozen tundra underneath when I
heard and felt *pop*. I didn't actually stop until the bottom
of the run and called it a day shortly after before seeking
the medical staff. Hurts like a bitch still two days on, I
guess thats not unexpected either.

So any of you suffer through one of these? Recovery time? Did
it become a lingering injury? Freaking sucks too as was only
second day out this season but with holiday pass blackout I
at least get an extra week to recover.

mike
Old December 20th 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Joe Ramirez

On Dec 19, 9:22*am, "Mike M. Miskulin" wrote:
hey now - any of you ever hurt your ankle riding? *I'm told I have
a mild grade 2 sprain on my lead foot just below the knobby bone.
Was traversing on toe edge through about 8" of chop on a steep run,
was a little bouncy with frozen tundra underneath when I
heard and felt *pop*. *I didn't actually stop until the bottom
of the run and called it a day shortly after before seeking
the medical staff. *Hurts like a bitch still two days on, I
guess thats not unexpected either.

So any of you suffer through one of these? Recovery time? Did
it become a lingering injury? Freaking sucks too as was only
second day out this season but with holiday pass blackout I
at least get an extra week to recover.

I strained my left (lead) ankle my first time out this year. The
circumstances seem somewhat similar to your incident. I was toeside on
a slope that turned out to be frozen pretty solid. Lost the edge and
skidded downward, bouncing a little. When I got up my ankle was sore,
but I had no problem riding to the bottom of the run and then walking
in my boots to the parking lot. As I drove home, in my regular shoes,
I could feel the ankle tightening up. It was very sore for the rest of
the day -- hurt a lot to put any weight on it. Treated it with
ibuprofen, ice (actually frozen vegetables ), and elevation. After a
long night's sleep, it had improved a lot. Remained sore for a few
days, but my limping diminished rapidly. I didn't seek medical
attention, but I would have if my ankle had been as bad the second day
as it was the first. But it wasn't, which is why I say it was a strain
rather than a sprain.

In terms of whether it's lingering, I'd have to say not really,
although at the moment both of my ankle bones are a little sore to the
touch (I was riding the day before yesterday). But I attribute that to
breaking in brand new boots and bindings.
Old December 22nd 10, 05:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

Joe Ramirez wrote in :

In terms of whether it's lingering, I'd have to say not really,
although at the moment both of my ankle bones are a little sore to the
touch (I was riding the day before yesterday). But I attribute that to
breaking in brand new boots and bindings.

I think I'm now past the worst pain but this is looking to be a
slower recovery than I had hoped. Anything with flex and/or
rotation is still very painful but at least I was able to drive
the car briefly yesterday (its my clutch foot).

I'm grasping a bit here but late last year I changed the footbeds in
my boots and these are a bit thicker with more arch. I noticed,
thinking back on it, there were at least a few times riding bumps or
heavy thick chop that I had some pain across the front of the same
foot just at ankle level. I wonder if these footbeds have resulted
in incorrect foot placement within the boot and maybe the amount of
give at that transition point. Think I may try going back to the
stock liner if I still have them or something a bit thinner/flatter.

Old March 23rd 13, 04:34 PM
J.James J.James is offline
Junior Member

Location: USA

I suffered in 2010 when a vehicle hit me and i got my ankle dislocate and injured. That was very terrible time for me. Any way do not walk unnecessarily and make sure that you are getting recovery day by day. Because delay can make you disable one as well. Be careful.
Byron Quarter
Byron Quarter Holiday Apartments
8 Byron Street Byron Bay NSW 2481 Australia‎
Phone No: +61 2 6680 9900

The Byron Quarter is quality and affordable accommodation at Byron Bay. You will love our luxury apartments and our proximity to the beach. Stay with us.

Last edited by J.James : December 3rd 13 at 09:43 AM.

nordictrack ankle strap [email protected] Nordic Skiing 4 May 9th 07 03:51 PM
Twisted Ankle EdV Nordic Skiing 7 December 8th 06 12:10 AM
Ankle injury chuck Snowboarding 2 November 4th 06 11:16 PM
Ankle Fracture m and m Nordic Skiing 7 September 25th 04 12:12 PM
head injuries pose low risk of brain injuries Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 19 August 31st 04 01:05 PM