Can I set my own bindings?

Old February 23rd 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Can I set my own bindings?

VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

"Creep", as the term is used in mechanical and civil engineering
studies of materials, is an _inelastic_ deformation of a material
caused by a stress applied beyond the elastic yield strength of the
material. The deformation is permanent (in the sense that it can't
"rebound" to its previous state) and accumulates over time if the
stress is continually applied. No energy is being stored - the energy
is consumed as work in altering the shape and/or internal structure of
the material involved.

I always thought "creep" was when a project increased in scope
as the life of the project went forward.

That is, after the contract has been let, the contractor (or
architect, or owner) finds more related to the project that
"must" be done.

This is properly termed "mission creep" and is distinguished from
Richard's mechanical creep by the scale. Mechanical creep is typically
a percent or so while mission creep is usually 50% or more.

HTH HAND.

//Walt
Old February 23rd 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Feb 23, 8:50 am, VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
On Feb 21, 6:56 pm, (Jeff Davis) wrote:
In article .com,

Richard Henry wrote:
On Feb 21, 4:07 pm, (Jeff Davis) wrote:
The slab creeps before it releases and stores elastic energy. It most
certainly has kinetic energy due to your own equation. Nice to have an
intelligent conversation relevant to skiing.
"Elasticity" and "elastic energy" are not the same thing.
No **** Sherlock. Where did I type that? Thanks for the hot ****ing tip
Dickie.

Just trying to help. You seemed to be confused.

"Creep", as the term is used in mechanical and civil engineering
studies of materials, is an _inelastic_ deformation of a material
caused by a stress applied beyond the elastic yield strength of the
material. The deformation is permanent (in the sense that it can't
"rebound" to its previous state) and accumulates over time if the
stress is continually applied. No energy is being stored - the energy
is consumed as work in altering the shape and/or internal structure of
the material involved.

I always thought "creep" was when a project increased in scope
as the life of the project went forward.

That is, after the contract has been let, the contractor (or
architect, or owner) finds more related to the project that
"must" be done.- Hide quoted text -

I have heard that euphemistically called "creeping excellence" - the
adition of requirements after the specification has been written and
the contract has been signed.

Old February 23rd 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"Richard Henry" wrote in message
(Jeff Davis) wrote:
[...]

Geez, I thought I read it had snowed back there.
Still no skiing for you guys?
This is getting serious.

Old February 23rd 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Norm wrote:

Geez, I thought I read it had snowed back there.

Back where? Seems to me that the active thread participants are in
Southern California, Wyoming, Utah, Michigan and Vermont. And I'm
probably missing somebody.

Still no skiing for you guys?

Only on weekends at this point, unfortunately.

This is getting serious.

Old February 23rd 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

(Jeff Davis) wrote:
[...]

Plenty of snow actually, just bored at work.
Old February 23rd 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:

Plenty of snow actually, just bored at work.

How long do you think it's going to last? I'm looking at taking the
second week in April (7-14) off for a ski trip. Yeah, it's late and I
don't think I want to lock myself in with a plane ticket, but
Vermont/Quebec is a viable driving destination.

So, what's the prognosis, doc? Think it'll last through mid-april?

//Walt
Old February 23rd 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Plenty of snow actually, just bored at work.

How long do you think it's going to last? I'm looking at taking the
second week in April (7-14) off for a ski trip. Yeah, it's late and I
don't think I want to lock myself in with a plane ticket, but
Vermont/Quebec is a viable driving destination.

So, what's the prognosis, doc? Think it'll last through mid-april?

//Walt

Killington's April Event Calendar:
7-8 14th Annual Spring Loaded Pro/AM Snowboard Event
8 Easter Sunday Sunrise Service and Easter Egg Hunt
14 11th Annual Sunshine Daydream Festival
21 26th Annual Pond Skimming Contest

Actually the BEST weekend is March 31/April 1. It's the
27th annual Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge. The event is
secondary to the party that goes with it. The entire base
of Bear Mountain is set up with tents and party-ers with
a view to the competition. Good skiing can be had elsewhere
too, since most everybody is at the party. It's huge.

Trouble is, the last few years have been crappy weather.
If the weather proves to be good this year, it will
be REALLY HUGE. Maybe with ASC gone, this can happen.

Sunshine Daydream is just plain fun. Our boss, Griz (google
him) looks a bit like Gerry Garcia, he is taller at 6'-4"
though.

Actually, yeah, I do think it will last through mid April.
So far it always has. Any later than that, you may be down
to skiing Super Star with "some walking required".
Old February 23rd 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Plenty of snow actually, just bored at work.

So, what's the prognosis, doc? Think it'll last through mid-april?

Killington's April Event Calendar:
7-8 14th Annual Spring Loaded Pro/AM Snowboard Event
8 Easter Sunday Sunrise Service and Easter Egg Hunt
14 11th Annual Sunshine Daydream Festival
21 26th Annual Pond Skimming Contest

Looks good. I always try to be aware of events like this so that I know
when *not* to go to a specific resort. The Sunshine Daydream Festival?
Shoot me now.

Once I stumbled upon a ski resort on their annual "Men's Day". It was a
weekday and I was expecting the usual "weekday morning geezer club" and
an otherwise empty hill. Instead, the place was crawling with guys
there for the all-you-can-drink beer. 8am and the lodge was already
elbow to elbow with drunks. Fortunately, there was another hill about a
10 minute drive away.

Trouble is, the last few years have been crappy weather.
If the weather proves to be good this year, it will
be REALLY HUGE. Maybe with ASC gone, this can happen.

ASC makes bad weather? Ullr is not pleased?

Actually, yeah, I do think it will last through mid April.
So far it always has. Any later than that, you may be down
to skiing Super Star with "some walking required".

Looks good. The plan is to check the conditions and drive to whereever
it looks most promising within a day's drive. Whether that's Lutsen or
Tremblant or KMart or Jay remains to be seen. I'm sure Brule will still
be going strong if it comes to that.

If I'm in your neighborhood, I'll be sure to let you know.

/Walt