waxes - temperature range

Old February 26th 09, 12:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Neil

Default waxes - temperature range

Dear All,
I wonder if there any views out there about going out with the temperature
ranges of waxes. Say you put on something that is recommended for use up
to - 5C will it work reasonably well if the temp goes up to -3C or -2C. I
suspect that there are a lot of variables.
Neil

Old February 26th 09, 12:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Neil

I should have added, I am a great fan of Rex Klister tape, which can be left
on for days- if the temperature range is great.

Old February 27th 09, 01:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Neil

As I said I am a great fan of Rex Klister Tape, the cold version goes up
to -5C. One application can intended last for days. I will be going into the
mountains west of Bjoirli in Norway. I expect the temperature to vary
between -15c and 0c.

Old February 27th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Then what's your question? The Rex tape comes in two versions, down to
-20C (universal) and -25C (cold) -
http://store.finnsisu.com/kickrex.html. I prefer the Start tape, but I
found neither is very good above 2 or 3C. If you want to strip it and
kick wax, that's a different matter. Some waxes tend to be true to
their labels (Swix) and some vary considerably (Rode).

Gene

Old February 27th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Neil

The universal should be O.K. I can put it on carefully at home and forget
about waxing for the rest of the tour, not a great pleasure in extreme cold.
However Tape grip gold could suit the cold conditions and fresh better. How
this wax perform above -4c?

Old February 28th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

"Neil" wrote:

Dear All,
I wonder if there any views out there about going out with the
temperature
ranges of waxes. Say you put on something that is recommended for use up
to - 5C will it work reasonably well if the temp goes up to -3C or -2C.. I
suspect that there are a lot of variables.
Neil- Hide quoted text -

Neil,

Where is "Bjoirli"? I.e. what region of Norway?

I have ski toured in several regions of Norway and have ecountered
waxing conditions from cold dry snow (green wax) to high humidity
(fog) near 0C and warm klister conditions during the Easter season.

We have had to use skis at times.