Utah on the Cheap

Old January 12th 05, 05:45 PM
uglymoney

Default Utah on the Cheap

So its been a long while since I made the swing through Utah.
Considering the snowfall, I'm seriously considering hitting it for a
week here in a few weeks. I may or may not be alone. My good friend
Terry could possibly join me/or not - which is one reason why I'm
leaning Utah rather than a return trip to S. Lake Tahoe, which is also
appealing this year with all the snow - but would mean a solo trip for
sure.

Question. If I decided to head that direction, I'd like to stay
somewhere within walking/short cab ride of some decent (cheap) dining,
pubs, where there is at least a small possibility of looking at or
maybe even chatting with some cute gals in the mid twenties to mid
thirties range - something that is hard/sometimes impossible to do in
my hometown. If I go skiing AND chat up cute girls, I feel like I'm
killing two birds with one stone. Skiing, girls, and beer and I am
really in heaven no matter that I am in a large city rather than a
quaint ski town. I'll have a car, but I tend to drink more than two
when I go out. Downtown Motel 6? How rundown is it? Car safe here?
Taxi's decent?

I was at the winter olympics for a couple of days and of course the
place was vibrant. How dead is dwnt SL during a normal week?

Midvale Motel 6? Any nightlife at all in Midvale? I plan to make no
reservations whatsoever, as is normal for me, so I could move around
easily, full occupancy excepted, that would screw me and likely send
me somewhere else anyway.

I know I could (and probably would for dinner at least) drive to Park
****ty and go out, but then I'd be stranded there after a couple
drinks.

I'll have my small travel dog, and so this limits where I can stay,
and I have no desire to spend the money required to stay at a resort
anyway.

In short, I am trying to figure out a way to convince myself to hit
Utah. When I go skiing, I like the idea of being in the mountains,
and Salt Lake has never really done it for me. Nice town, but its not
quite the same as staying in a ski town - and I'm not going to tour
the tabernacle again. Its all so spread out. As badly as I want to
ski there again, the lure of more romantic ski destinations almost
always keeps me from the Wasatch.

Worth a go or not? Ideas?

nate
Old January 12th 05, 11:43 PM
pigo

I can probably help you out with that.

You would be welcome to use my powder pass (Alta $27/day) when I'm not using
it. There are some motels around here in Sugarhouse. Fort Union (might be
Midvale) has some restaraunts, pubs and stuff. There are some Super 8's
downtown and along the freeway. Right now I'm thinking you might do
downtown. Good places to get temporary companionship of the non whore
variety.

I've skied Alta today and had a few beers myself so catch me later. Surf
downtown hotel/motels and I'll let you know the sleeze factor. There IS a
motel 6 too.

pigo

Old January 13th 05, 08:28 PM
uglymoney

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:43:36 -0700, "pigo"
wrote:

I've skied Alta today and had a few beers myself so catch me later. Surf
downtown hotel/motels and I'll let you know the sleeze factor. There IS a
motel 6 too.

Yes, how clean and tiday is the downtown motel 6? Decent place to
stay or full of hourly hookers coming and going throughout the night?

nate
Old January 13th 05, 11:32 PM
pigo

"uglymoney" wrote in message

Yes, how clean and tiday is the downtown motel 6? Decent place to
stay or full of hourly hookers coming and going throughout the night?

nate

I don't spend alot of time there. I think it would be tolerable but it might
have some of that transient **** going on. There's a Super 8 right there
too. Not a great neighborhood but the 8 has interior doors. Possibly making
them more protected. Not so bad a neighborhood to worry about walking around
in though. There are a few motels in my neighborhood too. Homestead Village
is near me, food and partying nearby. Suite rooms. Maybe pricier, but you
can check them out too. I'll try to pay more attention the next couple of
days and send you some names. Or search some places out and I'll drive by
and give you the visual impression.

What dates?

pigo

Old January 16th 05, 05:54 AM
rosco

wrote:

I've skied Alta today and had a few beers myself so catch me later. Surf
downtown hotel/motels and I'll let you know the sleeze factor. There IS a
motel 6 too.

Yes, how clean and tiday is the downtown motel 6? Decent place to
stay or full of hourly hookers coming and going throughout the night?

nate

If I am not car camping, I stay at Hampton Inn just down from LCC. Good
breakfast and you can knock the rates down if you go midweek.

RAC