Help with travelling from Turin to Termignon

Old December 6th 04, 04:13 PM
Type23

Default Help with travelling from Turin to Termignon

Hi,
Was hoping someone could help/advise me. I'm looking to buy a ski
apartment in Termignon France. I want to pay a visit to this resort to check
out village/site etc and also get some skiing in (any excuse!)Tried various
cheap airlines and am now flying into Turin on Sat 18th Dec and picking up
hire car and hoping to drive to Termignon,spend day there then drive to Val
D'iser to visit relatives,ski all day Sunday/Monday morning then drive back
to Turin and fly back to UK late evening. My question is do you think this
is viable ? Auto route and Viamichelin route planner make distances out to
be not too bad. However when I spoke to someone in Termignon they seemed to
think that most routes/passes were closed ? Is this correct? I would of
thought they tried to keep these routes open for holidaymakers driving from
Italy to Alps! Any help really appreciated. Also anyone have any experience
of Termignon la Vanoise, Skiing, Village,B&Bs etc Thank you.

Rgds

Richard

p.s Any first hand advice on route/directions to follow would be really
appreciated also !!!

Old December 7th 04, 10:37 PM
Iain Campbell

Type23 wrote:
Hi,

snipped

p.s Any first hand advice on route/directions to follow would be really
appreciated also !!!

The most direct route is via the Mont Cenis pass. But during the winter
it's a closed road... well, I hope it is because I'll be skiing on it in
january!! LOL!! It cuts right through the middle of the Val Cenis ski
area so I'm hoping not to meet any cars on there!!!

Your best bet is straight up the motorway from Turin to France via the
Frejus tunnel. You want a town called Modane. From there it's a nice
scenic and well kept (as in clear of snow and ice) RN road to
Termingnon. All in all, a very easy drive, certainly on the French side
of the border. Further up is the Val Cenis ski area, which is where I'm
off to for the third time in 3 years, and beyond that is
Bonneval-sur-Arc. The road itself would take you to Val d'Isere and
Tignes, but it too is closed during the winter. There are other resorts
nearby, too. A look at any decent map will show you them and you'll see
signs for them as you head for Termingnon. I keep meaning to explore a
little but I never seem to get the chance.

In terms of experiences of the area, I know Val Cenis (particularly
Lanslevillard) reasonably well. This holiday in january is my third
visit. Of the ski areas around there, I think (corrections please, if
necessary) it's the biggest of them, but it's also less famous in the UK
and so it isn't crowded. A secret the French have kept very well.
Termingnon is a little lower in altitude but the snow record around
there has been good everytime I've been. The skiing in Val Cenis gives
me a decent challenge (and the odd heart attack!?!) so you won't be
bored. I also think there are collaborations between the different areas
as you can ski Termingnon and Bonneval-sur-Arc (higher up than Val
Cenis) with Val Cenis's lift pass. I'd guess it's reciprocal.

After Modane, I think the best equipped town is Lanslebourg, one of the
two that make up Val Cenis. But I only say this from experience and I've
never explored any of the other towns on that road, with the exception
of Lanslevillard.

To sum it up, though, you couldn't pick a nicer area to buy somewhere.
If I won the lottery, I'd buy a chalet or two around there... now that
would be nice!!

HTH

Schneckster
Old December 7th 04, 11:17 PM
Type23

John/Wilcock,
Gents thanks for the info, really appreciated. Crikey the snows good in
France at the moment !!!! Can't wait !!

Rich

. ..

Old December 23rd 04, 08:16 PM
andy

I agree with the comments Val Cenis - the French have kept that a
secret!
However beware of the restaurants - anything you like as long as it is
covered with the local cheese source!
I was there last year, 5 blokes, one upper floor come bedroom and one
loo!!!! Deep Joy.

"Type23" wrote in message
John/Wilcock,
Gents thanks for the info, really appreciated. Crikey the snows good in
France at the moment !!!! Can't wait !!

Rich

. ..