Going to Sun Valley;nearby snow?

Old March 24th 04, 12:03 AM
gr

Default Going to Sun Valley;nearby snow?

I am going to Sun Valley in a few days, and it seems that the xc trails at
Sun Valley Lodge are now shut down, so I go to my fallback plan of getting
up to Galena Lodge.
Am I likely to have trouble free snow up there?
Should I get there as early as possible each day, or are the trails ok
throughout the whole day?

Are there other (higher in the mountains?) XC places in the area that I
should know about?
Thanks,
gr
Old March 24th 04, 01:38 PM
Doug Taylor

gr wrote:

I am going to Sun Valley in a few days, and it seems that the xc trails at
Sun Valley Lodge are now shut down, so I go to my fallback plan of getting
up to Galena Lodge.
Am I likely to have trouble free snow up there?
Should I get there as early as possible each day, or are the trails ok
throughout the whole day?

Are there other (higher in the mountains?) XC places in the area that I
should know about?

Galena is near the summit of the pass on Rte 75 (about 25 miles north
of Ketchum); I don't think there are any places to ski at higher
elevations nearby. Galena is still open - call the grooming report:
208-726-6662

Let me know what you conditions you find - I'll be there 4/1 and hope
not to be limited to alpine skiing on Mt. Baldy, which will have
plenty of snow.

BTW, we both will have missed John Kerry who's vacation is over.
Bummer. I wanted to get stuck in traffic or get shooed off runs on
Mt. Baldy due to security - NOT.
--dt
Old March 27th 04, 05:20 AM
Chris Cline

Hi Gary-
Not too surprising that Sun Valley is melted out--
it's been a warm spring in the intermountain west,
although it has cooled off in the last couple of days,
with a little snow in the high country.

Check with Galena to see if they still have enough
snow for grooming. They might. If they do, earlier
will definitely be better, though if you go too early,
it will be too frozen.

Best strategy for corn: get up there early, and relax
in the sunshine, enjoying a morning beverage and maybe
a bit of a breakfast nosh. Occasionally go out and
kick around in the snow and see if it's starting to
soften up. When it's at the desired consistency, go
out and ski (usually somewhere around 8:30-9:00AM).
When it's too sloppy (11:30 - noonish) quit and retire
to the lodge for lunch and a beverage. Go for a bike
ride, play tennis or whatever in the afternoon.

If even Galena is too far gone, consider going over
the pass to Stanley. It's a beautiful drive, about 30
miles from Galena (about the same distance between
Ketchum and Galena), and is higher elevation. Even if
the skiing is crummy, the drive is beautiful-- great
views of the Sawtooths.

Enjoy!!
Chris C.
SLC, UT
Heading up to Banff next Monday for my own adventure--
it's that time of year!

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html