Flat-Boarding II

Old January 8th 05, 05:27 PM
Harry Weiner

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:28:20 -0700, Bob Lee wrote this
crap:

rosco wrote:

... My father of 70+ years old sez "if you ain't falling,
you ain't learning".

Your father's a bit of a windbag. My dad would squint through a cloud
of straight Chesterfield smoke and sneer, "No falls, no balls."

I got a sweatshirt from Boyne that says that.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old January 8th 05, 06:28 PM
klaus

Bob Lee wrote:
rosco wrote:

... My father of 70+ years old sez "if you ain't falling,
you ain't learning".

Your father's a bit of a windbag. My dad would squint through a cloud
of straight Chesterfield smoke and sneer, "No falls, no balls."

Then again, there are always the times when "You fall, you die."In
that case, balls and learning are not as important as staying on your
feet. For every cave, there is a mantra. Make sure the mantra matches
the cave.

-klaus

Old January 8th 05, 06:49 PM
The Real Bev

Mary Malmros wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

rosco wrote:

F**K the textbook approach. Get out and have fun and
make some mistakes and eat some snow. Even tweek a knee or two - just
not too badly. My father of 70+ years old sez "if you ain't falling,
you ain't learning". Damn stoic of him.

I say "If you fall you learned something wrong." Maybe I'll change my
mind in 10 years.

Or you didn't learn it yet and are in the process of doing so. That's
how I learned that, yes, you really do have to lean into the wave when
kayak surfing in the ocean.

I have never been in a kayak, although I once rowed a canoe on a lake,
and I have only body-surfed (which I think would be very different from
board/kayak surfing) in the ocean. Wouldn't the lean-into-the-wave
thing be intuitive? Just a different form of carving?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 8th 05, 07:27 PM
The Real Bev

yunlong wrote:

What are the "outside edge" and "inside edge" when you ski straight,
again?

Unless you aren't built like the rest of us, "outside" is toward your
elbows and "inside" is toward your crotch. HTH.

--
Cheers,
Bev

"Only wimps use tape backup; *real* men just upload their
important stuff on FTP, and let the rest of the world
mirror it " -- Linus Torvalds
Old January 8th 05, 09:07 PM
Mary Malmros

yunlong wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

[mercy snip]

"Outside" relative to what. I think you mean outside relative to

your

body. If you meant the outside of the inside ski relative to the

turn

you would be in a heap of trouble.

[more snip]

Yes, the "inside" ski is determined in relation to the turn.

So far so good

the outside edge of this ski, then, is the big toe edge
of that ski. Still with me?

The outside edge of the inside ski, relative to the turn, is the

big

toe

side of the ski. Period. You can't say it any other way.

How do you identify the "outside" edge of your foot, where the ski

is

only an extension [of your foot]?

Well, this is the problem we always get when someone comes along and
starts creating new terminology, or -- in this case -- using
conventional terminology in an unconventional way. VtSkier's usage
agrees with that of every reference I've ever seen: "inside edge" and

"outside edge" are relative to the turn. In any given turn, the

"inside

edge" is either the left edge of both skis, or the right edge of both

skis. The use of the terms "inside" and "outside" to refer to medial

and lateral aspects of the body is one that I have never before
encountered in a skiing context. If yunlong wants to insist on this
usage, he/she may feel free to do so, but if he/she wants to

communicate

and be understood, he/she would be better advised to use the

terminology

in the same way everyone else does.

What are the "outside edge" and "inside edge" when you ski straight,
again?

Aren't any.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 8th 05, 09:09 PM
Mary Malmros

The Real Bev wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

rosco wrote:

F**K the textbook approach. Get out and have fun and
make some mistakes and eat some snow. Even tweek a knee or two - just
not too badly. My father of 70+ years old sez "if you ain't falling,
you ain't learning". Damn stoic of him.

I say "If you fall you learned something wrong." Maybe I'll change my
mind in 10 years.

Or you didn't learn it yet and are in the process of doing so. That's
how I learned that, yes, you really do have to lean into the wave when
kayak surfing in the ocean.

I have never been in a kayak, although I once rowed a canoe on a lake,
and I have only body-surfed (which I think would be very different from
board/kayak surfing) in the ocean. Wouldn't the lean-into-the-wave
thing be intuitive? Just a different form of carving?

Nope. Put it this way: the mountain isn't moving.

Old January 8th 05, 10:48 PM
bdubya

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:30:40 -0500, VtSkier
wrote:

yunlong wrote:
This is all I'm trying to say. I'm not arguing with your method, I'm
only suggesting that your language must have internal and external
consistency for your message to be heard. This inconsistency is the
major reason you get ragged on in this newsgroup.

Personally, I rag on him because he's trying to sell
intermediate-level bad habits as a new and better way to ski.

bw
Old January 9th 05, 12:11 AM
VtSkier

Mary Malmros wrote:
yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

Thank you Mary.

VtSkier
Old January 9th 05, 01:18 AM
yunlong

Mary Malmros wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

Or you don't know enough? "edges" are a physical property of a ski,
they are always there.

Here's a bit history maybe you were too young to remember, however, may
give you an idea where/what "inside edge" and "outside edge" come
about:

"In the straight snowplow, the tips of your skis should be close
together, while the tails are separated and held at equal angles from
the fall line. Weight is even on the both skis, and the skis are on
their INSIDE edges..."--SKI Magazine's Encyclopedia of Skiing, 1970--

IS

Old January 9th 05, 01:23 AM
yunlong

The Real Bev wrote:
yunlong wrote:

What are the "outside edge" and "inside edge" when you ski

straight,
again?

Unless you aren't built like the rest of us, "outside" is toward your
elbows and "inside" is toward your crotch. HTH.

Hmm... what's the "crotch" has anything to do with skiing?

IS