DIY Rollerskis from NordicPro website

Old March 14th 04, 10:33 PM
Jeff Potter

Default DIY Rollerskis from NordicPro website

Serge wrote:

Also, do you know enough German to read the website and answer my first
question? Is 17 euros for one wheel or a whole set? 23 euros for one beam
or two? 5 euros for one axle or four?

You people do the math: 2 beams, 4 axles (+8 spacers), 4 fenders,
Salomon Pilot binding (set of two I presume) and shipping to Berlin.
Total=84EURO

Customs added like $40 but my brother needed to send me something else,
so we consolidated.

Too bad there's the unpriced wild card included of the bindings. I wonder what he
charged for those.

It appears that 4 wheels would be about 68 Euros.

The Czech Jesenik classic skis complete (with wheels) but without bindings are
$139 US / 113 Euros.

His skate skis are like 60 Euros. 23 Euros shipping to the US. He doesn't mention
customs.

Hilarious how confusing it gets.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 15th 04, 04:26 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Nobody said that "teller's checks" don't exist, but I asked you to
clarify what exactly it is, since the term is not commonly used and I
wasn't aware that someone in Germany could readily cash a check in US
dollars without incurring considerable bank fees. Lighten up.

Gene

Serge wrote:

Also, do you know enough German to read the website and answer my first
question? Is 17 euros for one wheel or a whole set? 23 euros for one beam
or two? 5 euros for one axle or four?

Jeff, here is Gunter's E-mail webmaster@ skiroller.de

Ask him all the questions, he speaks English. He is kind of cantankerous,
does not take credit cards and such.
I sent him "tellers check" and it worked.
Somebody on the board said tellers checks do not exist or something. Whatever.
I do what I do.

I provide information because I learned a lot on this board and want
to reciprocate.
Tellers checks do not exist?
Pay $400 by VISA for your V2-Jenex and be happy...

BTW wheels are always expensive ($17 apiece) that's why I didn't order
them - I have plenty.

I only told what I paid. If he sent ONE beam instead of TWO, I will
send him a dead cat (kidding). I specified 2 beams though.

Old March 15th 04, 09:33 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Nobody said that "teller's checks" don't exist, but I asked you to
clarify what exactly it is, since the term is not commonly used and I
wasn't aware that someone in Germany could readily cash a check in US
dollars without incurring considerable bank fees. Lighten up.

I wasn't aware of that either, yet, the one time I visited Germany I got
a surprise. In 1992 I went there to ski the Konig Ludwig Lauf. Rather
poor planning on my part, but I drove into Oberammergau really late the
night before the race. I had just driven in from France via Switzerland
and had no DM on me at all. The town appeared to be closed up, so I
went straight to the hotel.

When I tried to pay I discovered the hotel would not take a travellers
check or a credit card. Hmm. What to do now? Sheepishly I offered a
personal check from my checkbook (standard US checking account) thinking
"this is stupid, why would they even consider it?" The clerk's face lit
up and she said "sure, we'll take a check." After repeatedly warning
her what it _really_ was and repeately being told it was fine I finally
made out a check and went to bed. The check did eventually clear,
though I've no idea what it cost them to process it at their bank.

I don't know what "tellers check" means, either, but my guess is it's
probably just another term for cashiers check. There are a lot of
American words that have regional variations. [camp/cottage/cabin],
[coke/soda/pop], [sneakers/tennis shoes], etc.

-Mitch

Old March 16th 04, 02:42 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

I don't know what "tellers check" means, either, but my guess is it's
probably just another term for cashiers check. There are a lot of
American words that have regional variations. [camp/cottage/cabin],
[coke/soda/pop], [sneakers/tennis shoes], etc.

That term camp is an interesting one, since in NY, where I guess you
are, I understood it's larger meaning to be vacation home. Any idea
where it comes from? With regards to checks, there are cashiers checks
and the kind the bank can just type instead of giving cash. Some banks
don't make the distinction anymore, so they can collect five bucks for
it.

Gene
Old March 16th 04, 03:35 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

There are a lot of
American words that have regional variations. [camp/cottage/cabin],
[coke/soda/pop], [sneakers/tennis shoes], etc.

That term camp is an interesting one, since in NY, where I guess you
are, I understood it's larger meaning to be vacation home. Any idea
where it comes from?

I'm not sure exactly where the dividing lines are on camp/cottage/cabin.
I can just give a few data points. My wife's family has a "camp" in
western Connecticut. In central and western New York people have
"cottages". A friend I know has a family "cabin" in Michigan. They
are all basically the same thing - summer vacation homes. I suspect
you are right that "camp" extends well into eastern New York. Not sure
where "camp" ends and "cottage" begins. No, I've no idea where these
words come from. I just enjoy discovering and collecting them. :-)

-Mitch

Old March 25th 04, 10:26 PM
Serge

Finally I got the package.

Everything I expected: bindings, beams 610mm, axles, spacers,
fenders(installed) + 4 bushings that I did not order.

One pleasant surprise: every rollerski has a tracking lever on the front
wheel that allows to adjust how rollerski tracks (c-curve left or right).

I noticed before that wooden skis with metal forks do not really track
very well. Tracking device will solve that problem - some
rollerskis have annoying tendency to veer left or right
because of imprecise axle hole alignment and uneven wheel wear.
Old March 26th 04, 03:28 AM
Gary Jacobson

What's the URL?
Is this the Czech ski?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

m...

Old March 26th 04, 01:39 PM
Jeff Potter

Gary Jacobson wrote:

What's the URL?
Is this the Czech ski?

It's a German guy, and we never could figure out exactly what everything cost
compared to a built-up Jesenik (Czech) ski.

http://www.skiroller.de/pl_ersatzteile.html

Well, wheels are 17 Euro (each, I guess) so that adds up to more than the base
59 Euro Jesenik right there. + 23 Euro shipping to the states. = $100US at
your door for their most popular skating rollerski. Cool!

Serge's price included Pilot bindings at some unknown price, and we never did
find out what a set-up without wheels (he didn't order any) costs without
them.

--

Jeff Potter
****