686 Smarty Gear SUCKS!!!

Old January 31st 06, 12:55 PM

Default 686 Smarty Gear SUCKS!!!

Paid over $500 for 686 Jacket and pants...wore one weekend of boarding
and had zipper malfunctions all over the place. Zippers bind up and
won't work. The liner in the jacket does not attach at the sleeves.
This causes the sleevs of the liner to pull out every time you take of
the jacket.

My local retailer will not refund...I sent letter to 686 asking for
refund, we'll see what happens...Their web site says that zippers are
covered by warranty for two years. I suspect they will have me send
them the clothes and they will put new zippers in...This will help my
extreme case of 686 buyers remorse...

Old January 31st 06, 08:36 PM

Paid over $500 for 686 Jacket and pants...wore one weekend of boarding
and had zipper malfunctions all over the place. Zippers bind up and
won't work. The liner in the jacket does not attach at the sleeves.
This causes the sleevs of the liner to pull out every time you take of
the jacket.

I had different problems with a pair of 686 Smarty pants a few years ago...
namely, they wore through in the @$$ quickly. To be precise, I've always
had a flaw in my riding where I try to carve hard heelsides at too low a
speed and wind up sliding on my left hip*. This in turn wore through the
pants FAST. I stopped wearing them before it became terminal and painful
:-0

I would up blowing a couple hundred clams on a pair of Arcteryx pants last
season. They are the first pair of pants I've ever owned that stand up to
my "patented heelside hipslides" just fine (and I've even decreased the
frequency of said riding gaffe). I'm normally not one for spending a lot
on snow clothing... but this time it was necessary.

My local retailer will not refund...I sent letter to 686 asking for
refund, we'll see what happens...Their web site says that zippers are
covered by warranty for two years. I suspect they will have me send
them the clothes and they will put new zippers in...This will help my
extreme case of 686 buyers remorse...

Best of luck to you!

-Mike T

* The problem with trying to carve a sharp turn at too low a speed...
there's only so far you can lay a board over at low speeds without your hip
just falling into the snow which forces you to lose your edge and slide out.
At higher speeds... you stAY UP AND DON'T FALL, ALL IS WELL.