F.A. A&T Rope tow gripper

Old November 27th 04, 09:42 PM
Sue

In message , grum writes

Original condition, with belt. Veru useful, assuming there are any
active rope tows left..

Some still exist.

Sure do - there's 8 in this map of our local hill:
http://www.craigieburn.co.nz/map_large.html

Wow - I've never seen a rope tow on an actual slope, only on flat bits.
It looks a very nice hill, but hard work.

You wanna get yourself a Rope Tow Gripper, mate!

--
Sue ];(
Old January 10th 05, 11:59 PM
theleeper

I know this is an old reply, but I just found this message.......

I hear a kids jacket got caught on the rope and it pulled him into the
wheel for the return part of the ropetow....something like that.

They still use ropetows at the ski hill in Leavenworth and the Meany
Lodge has a huge tow that takes you up about a 600' vertical. They
use grippers regularly from what I hear. The only way into the Meany
Ski Hut is by snowcat or hiking in (about 3 miles from highway).

Old January 17th 05, 10:45 PM
Bob

"theleeper" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this is an old reply, but I just found this message.......

I hear a kids jacket got caught on the rope and it pulled him into the
wheel for the return part of the ropetow....something like that.

I've never seen a ropetow without a safety switch to prevent that.

Bob

Old January 17th 05, 11:27 PM
VtSkier

Bob wrote:
"theleeper" wrote in message
ups.com...

I know this is an old reply, but I just found this message.......

I hear a kids jacket got caught on the rope and it pulled him into the
wheel for the return part of the ropetow....something like that.

I've never seen a ropetow without a safety switch to prevent that.

Bob

Safety sweetches, we don't need no steenking safety sweetches.

Why when I was a boy those Model T powered things could take
you right around with no trouble at all if you weren't smart
enough to let go or to wear something loose that would catch
in the sheaves. Never gave it another thought until the Insurance
Companies came around.

VtSkier
Old January 18th 05, 02:46 AM
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
Bob wrote:

"theleeper" wrote in message
ups.com...

I know this is an old reply, but I just found this message.......

I hear a kids jacket got caught on the rope and it pulled him into the
wheel for the return part of the ropetow....something like that.

I've never seen a ropetow without a safety switch to prevent that.

Bob

Safety sweetches, we don't need no steenking safety sweetches.

Why when I was a boy those Model T powered things could take
you right around with no trouble at all if you weren't smart
enough to let go or to wear something loose that would catch
in the sheaves. Never gave it another thought until the Insurance
Companies came around.

I was out near Dodge Ridge last summer, so I dropped by for old time's
sake, and dam if the remnents of the rope tow I learned on in the middle
50s aren't still there - never been cleaned up. Even a scrap of rope,
but I imagine the rope itself had been changed out a few dozen times.
But you know, this was a MODERN rope tow - they removed the engine,
tranny and axle from the rest of the Model A (I told you it was modern)
and if you weren't aware, why you wouldn't even know a fine automotive
implement had been sacrificed to Ullr.