It's raining...

Old March 22nd 05, 03:35 PM
PG

Default It's raining...

.... below about 2500m in the Tarentaise. Pretty hard too. There are
rumours of cooler weather next week, but with rain on and off up to the
weekend there could be some resorts in trouble, especially down in the
southern French Alps where snow depths at resort and altitude have been
terrible all season...

Pete
www.snowracers.net

Old March 22nd 05, 04:36 PM
Joe Hunt

"PG" wrote in message
... below about 2500m in the Tarentaise. Pretty hard too. There are
rumours of cooler weather next week, but with rain on and off up to the
weekend there could be some resorts in trouble, especially down in the
southern French Alps where snow depths at resort and altitude have been
terrible all season...

Pete
www.snowracers.net

I have held off booking a trip for 2nd - 9th April as I could see this
happening from some of the weather models. It may require waiting until
literally a few days beforehand.

Joe

Old March 22nd 05, 04:45 PM
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

PG wrote:
... below about 2500m in the Tarentaise. Pretty hard too. There are
rumours of cooler weather next week, but with rain on and off up to the
weekend there could be some resorts in trouble, especially down in the
southern French Alps where snow depths at resort and altitude have been
terrible all season...

Pete
www.snowracers.net

Pete

Which Tarentaise resorts could be in trouble? How is Les Arcs bearing up?

John

Old March 22nd 05, 05:14 PM
Simon Brown

"PG" wrote in message
... below about 2500m in the Tarentaise. Pretty hard too. There are
rumours of cooler weather next week, but with rain on and off up to the
weekend there could be some resorts in trouble, especially down in the
southern French Alps where snow depths at resort and altitude have been
terrible all season...

Pete
www.snowracers.net

Seriously, rain here would be great - the air is wretched at the moment,
full of dust and general crap. No wind or rain for 5 months almost and we
need clean air.

It's warm but according to those who can ski 'properly' some pistes are in
fine form.
--
Simon Brown
www.sysgem.com www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch

Old March 22nd 05, 05:17 PM
Simon Brown

"PG" wrote in message
... below about 2500m in the Tarentaise. Pretty hard too. There are
rumours of cooler weather next week, but with rain on and off up to the
weekend there could be some resorts in trouble, especially down in the
southern French Alps where snow depths at resort and altitude have been
terrible all season...

Pete
www.snowracers.net

Ho - just looked at http://tagesanzeiger.ch/portal/wetter/php/index.php and
I see we're in for a thunderstorm on Thursday (very appropriately).

Old March 22nd 05, 06:22 PM
davidof

PG wrote:
... below about 2500m in the Tarentaise. Pretty hard too. There are
rumours of cooler weather next week

We are expecting snow from 2000-2200 meters from the 26th in the Isère
otherwise rain rain rain. It has had quite a big effect on the mountains
today with lots of rock showing through.
Old March 23rd 05, 05:48 AM
PG

"davidof" wrote in message
| PG wrote:
| ... below about 2500m in the Tarentaise. Pretty hard too. There are
| rumours of cooler weather next week
|
| We are expecting snow from 2000-2200 meters from the 26th in the Isère
| otherwise rain rain rain. It has had quite a big effect on the
mountains
| today with lots of rock showing through.

Les Arcs...

The snowline ended up around 2400m, dropping just 100m or so during the
night. In the end we were lucky in Les Arcs at least, with considerably
less precipitation than forecast.

The very hot weather, over a couple of weeks, had left some bare patches
on exposed, steeper slopes. 'Official' levels yesterday before the rain
were 70cms (1100m, Villaroger) and 140cms at altitude (3226m, Aiguille
Rouge). In an hour or so the revised levels will be published for this
morning - will update then.

Clear skies at moment, more rain/snow (snowline ca. 2200m) expected
Thurday/Friday.

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old March 23rd 05, 12:42 PM
Steve Pardoe

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
I see we're in for a thunderstorm on Thursday (very appropriately).

;-)