tHe wHitE roOm

Old February 23rd 05, 06:23 PM
Walt

Schmoe wrote:
Walt wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Walt wrote:

Martha's right. And you just proved her point.

How?

"...they played Dead throughout most of the base area..."

Right. And...? You prefer Styx?

Tough call. Sort of like choosing between haggis and vegamite.

Is that your issue?

The point is that the music at ski resorts usually sucks. Sometimes you
have a liftie who chooses his/her own and it's actually palatable, but
mostly it's dreck.

--
//-Walt
//
Old February 23rd 05, 06:32 PM
Chester Bullock

Walt wrote:

The point is that the music at ski resorts usually sucks. Sometimes you
have a liftie who chooses his/her own and it's actually palatable, but
mostly it's dreck.

I've taken to skiing with my MP3 player. The music somehow always seems
to fit my tastes.

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247
Old February 23rd 05, 10:54 PM
klaus

Schmoe wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:
No offense, but ski resorts play the worst music.

I dunno. When I was in Alta recently, they played Dead throughout most of
the base area and at the mid-station ski demo place they were cranking Pink
Floyd and/or bands covering Floyd tunes. It was very nice.

Sounds like hell.

-klaus

Old February 23rd 05, 10:56 PM
klaus

Walt wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Walt wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Walt wrote:

Martha's right. And you just proved her point.

How?

"...they played Dead throughout most of the base area..."

Right. And...? You prefer Styx?

Tough call. Sort of like choosing between haggis and vegamite.

Is that your issue?

The point is that the music at ski resorts usually sucks. Sometimes you
have a liftie who chooses his/her own and it's actually palatable, but
mostly it's dreck.

I like the music at MidMountain at PC. All classical.

-klaus

Old February 24th 05, 12:23 AM
Schmoe

klaus wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:
No offense, but ski resorts play the worst music.

I dunno. When I was in Alta recently, they played Dead throughout
most of the base area and at the mid-station ski demo place they
were cranking Pink Floyd and/or bands covering Floyd tunes. It was
very nice.

Sounds like hell.

Heh, to each there own. I like almost all kinds of music, dependent on the
moment. I like classical mid-mountain at PC, I like Dead base at Alta, I
like Pink Floyd mid-mountain Alta, I like absolute quiet much of the time
too. Sometimes I'll use a tiny mp3 player when skiing. Most of the time the
whoosh whoosh is music enough. I'm not sure why you felt the need to insult
my tastes in music. I didn't insult yours.

Peace out.

Old February 24th 05, 12:44 AM
klaus

Schmoe wrote:

Heh, to each there own. I like almost all kinds of music, dependent on the
moment. I like classical mid-mountain at PC, I like Dead base at Alta, I
like Pink Floyd mid-mountain Alta, I like absolute quiet much of the time
too. Sometimes I'll use a tiny mp3 player when skiing. Most of the time the
whoosh whoosh is music enough. I'm not sure why you felt the need to insult
my tastes in music. I didn't insult yours.

Insult? You have pretty thin skin.. I have a lot fo Dead and have seen
them many times, but to play it to the masses and expecting them to
like it is silly. Think heliskiing or farting in an elevator. I won't
insult your music if you don't make me listen to it.

-klaus

Old February 24th 05, 01:33 AM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:
Schmoe wrote:

Walt wrote:

Martha's right. And you just proved her point.

How?

"...they played Dead throughout most of the base area..."

I don't mind The Dead - my kind of music; San Francisco in the 60s and
all that (I was there; I have documented evidence in the form of unpaid
bills in a box somewhere; I just wish I could remember it.)

I don't even mind music on ski slopes IF it's a personal boom box being
played by a lifty to keep from going bonkers talking to tourists: but I
Absolutely RESENT broadcast music when I'm in the mountains. What's
wrong with the sound of wind in the trees, the squeals of small animals
as my edges cut them to pieces? I ask you, aren't natural sounds better
when you're in the mountains?

(Written while listening to Odetta doing covers of Leadbelly songs.)
Old February 24th 05, 01:32 PM
Schmoe

klaus wrote:
Schmoe wrote:

Heh, to each there own. I like almost all kinds of music, dependent
on the moment. I like classical mid-mountain at PC, I like Dead base
at Alta, I like Pink Floyd mid-mountain Alta, I like absolute quiet
much of the time too. Sometimes I'll use a tiny mp3 player when
skiing. Most of the time the whoosh whoosh is music enough. I'm not
sure why you felt the need to insult my tastes in music. I didn't
insult yours.

Insult? You have pretty thin skin.. I have a lot fo Dead and have seen
them many times, but to play it to the masses and expecting them to
like it is silly. Think heliskiing or farting in an elevator. I won't
insult your music if you don't make me listen to it.

Sybil, make up your mind. In 1 sentence you say you have a lot of Dead, seen
'em many times etc... then say you won't insult my music if I don't
ostensibly make you listen to the Dead. Uhhhhhh....that does not
compute....error....Will Robinson.....Logic is a little bird tweeting in
meadow; logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which ... smell bad..."

Old February 24th 05, 01:34 PM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:

I don't even mind music on ski slopes IF it's a personal boom box being
played by a lifty to keep from going bonkers talking to tourists: but I
Absolutely RESENT broadcast music when I'm in the mountains. What's
wrong with the sound of wind in the trees, the squeals of small animals
as my edges cut them to pieces? I ask you, aren't natural sounds better
when you're in the mountains?

Agree 100%. The odd thing is how much money the resorts spend annoying
their customers.

--
//-Walt
//
Old February 24th 05, 03:20 PM
Dave Stallard

Dave Stallard wrote:
bdubya wrote:

I really like them too. But every time I hear Badge (or While My
Guitar Gently Weeps), I wonder why Clapton and Harrison never formed
an official band. (probably woman troubles....)

Didn't they tour Japan together? And wasn't that recorded? Ah here it is:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...e+In+Japan.htm

Looking at the track list, I don't see "Badge". WTF???

I remember reading an interview with Clapton, where he talks about
touring Japan with Harrison. He said "Sometimes when we're playing
'Layla' I wonder what's going through his mind".

Dave

Looking for chalet room - transport available [email protected] European Ski Resorts 1 February 21st 05 01:57 PM
Big White AlbertaBoarder Snowboarding 1 November 29th 04 09:36 PM
2 room App. available: Val dŽIseres 06-13th March Frank Hesse European Ski Resorts 0 February 8th 04 10:35 AM
What? You say my hotel room has a wax bench IN the room? Erik Brooks Nordic Skiing 4 December 22nd 03 10:30 AM
Big White JimT North American Ski Resorts 0 November 20th 03 10:57 PM