Strap binding durability?

Old January 26th 04, 02:07 AM
Paul

Default Strap binding durability?

I'm a green rider. If a couple you could help me on this that would be
great. Just set myself up with what I thought was a forward-looking
midrange board and stuff. First time out a strap on on of my Salomon
SP4 bindings broke. I don't mind if my stuff gets beat up but I don't
beat my stuff. It wasn't a hard day for the binding. My dealer is
reputable and if I bring them back I could get a full refund and move
on to something else, like maybe a Flow. The Flows I looked at seemed
plastic-y, though. I chose the Salomon primarily because it seemed so
non-pastic-y, and I prefer to upgrade and/or replace on an infrequent
basis. Here's what I'm wondering:

Is this a fluke? Bad production run on the day the binding was
assembled or some weird perfect combination of temperature and twist
which means nothing about the over-all quality of this binding?

Is this common to this model, and if so, is this a bad thing? Sure
seem like that would be bad, unless...

Do straps frequently break on all strap bindings? If I stick with
straps, should I always have a pocketful of them when I go out? The
good news about this strap is that it is very small, atttaching to
other structures on each end. Certainly it must be very inexpensive.
If straps break frequently this set up looks a lot better than many
other designs.

Thanks. This board really has helped me learn to think about a lot of
stuff.
Old January 26th 04, 02:57 AM
Bruce Chang

"Paul" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I have late 90's Burton Mission Bindings that I bought of eBay. They came
broken and I was just going to buy new straps. Later, I found out they had
a recall on the strap because the stitching didn't go through the fabric of
the heel strap completely and when you strapped it on, under normal
ratcheting, the strap would break. Burton was replacing the straps and I
called them and they sent out replacement straps immediately. No charge.

-Bruce

Old January 26th 04, 07:21 AM
TomTom

I don't like Flows as I have seen them frequently have a loose screw
problem, not too familiar with Solomon. I use Ride bindings and have been
for the past 6 seasons, they're bulletproof. The 1st pair of Ride's I had,
an EX from awhile back, have probably close to 100 days riding and not a
problem. Have two other pairs, another newer EX and SPI both of which have
never had any problems. I ride hard and have never broken any part of a Ride
binding.

The big selling point on these is the aluminum baseplate and heelcup. Very
stiff, very sturdy. The rest of the binding is built solid as well, their
ratchets are awesome. http://www.ridesnowboards.com/

Other than Ride I can reccommend Drake bindings as friends own them and I
have ridden them occasionally.

Have fun.

-Tom

"Paul" wrote in message
m...
I'm a green rider. If a couple you could help me on this that would be
great. Just set myself up with what I thought was a forward-looking
midrange board and stuff. First time out a strap on on of my Salomon
SP4 bindings broke. I don't mind if my stuff gets beat up but I don't
beat my stuff. It wasn't a hard day for the binding. My dealer is

---

Old January 26th 04, 03:21 PM
Arvin Chang

(Paul) wrote in message om...
[...]

Hey, I've been riding for 9 years now I've only seen a few straps
break, usually it was the rachet section of the binding and not the
plastic strap itself. Although *maybe* that happened once or twice to
someone, I can't remember. Let's just say it's uncommon. I rode
Clicker stepins for 4 years and had 1-2 boots break (connection
interface plastic cracked).

I happen to have a pair of Salomon SP4 Shaped and I have ridden them
for 40 days so far without problem. That could just mean I was lucky,
or you were not lucky, etc... however, my opinion was that it was a
fluke for you.

They do sell replacement straps at many snowboard stores. Hope this
all helps.

--Arvin
Old January 26th 04, 04:58 PM
paul m

i, like arvin, ride the salomon sp4 shaped. they're the 03 V2 model
specifically (in blue if you care)..
and aside from a highback issue that really isn't causing me any problems,
i stand by them. and to be honest, i beat the hell out of my bindings.
i've ridden these at least 110+ days so far (all of 02/03 season and now
i'm 35+ days into 03/04) and no strap problems at all. i've been really
happy actually. i love the combined toe strap system, it works great.
i'm currently looking for two more pairs of sp4's or spx's to replace my
burton bindings on my other boards, so that should tell you how much i
like them.

i would guess its a fluke. you never said *where* on the straps, and
which strap it was that broke. that might give me some insight. what
boots are you rockin?
paul

Old January 26th 04, 05:00 PM
J.B. Memascii

"TomTom" wrote in message news:264Rb.11779$bg1.2724@fed1read05...
I don't like Flows as I have seen them frequently have a loose screw
problem, not too familiar with Solomon.

Your Salomons are probably okay, just bad luck I'd guess.
Straps just break sometimes, as you say probably due to the
temperature variations and stresses they undergo.

I love my Flows but I've broken a strap on them[1] and as TomTom
says bolts have been known to unscrew themselves. You need to
keep an eye on them. A few years back, Flows had alumin(i)um
baseplates but I think they suffered bending/fracturing
problems. Plastic is not necessarily a bad thing. I also think
that the effect of a broken strap on a Flow is not as catastrophic
as that on regular bindings as there are still three straps holding
your boot in.

Cheers.
Iain.
[1] I think it was a choice between the strap and my leg.
Old January 26th 04, 11:59 PM
Paul

It's on the rear binding, non-ratcheting side. TomTom rightfully
pointed out that plastic is not necessarily a bad thing, and reminds
me that a little bit of knowledge and some unfounded prejudices is not
the best position from which to make decision.

I took a look at my boot, Salomon Maori, and I have an issue there,
too, with an eyelet that is certain to blow prematurely. The boot is
very comfy and it makes love to the Salomon binding, at least
superficially which is all I have to go on since I can't compare the
feel of this set up to anything else other than rental step-ins.

I'm super disappointed right now. I won't go into much more detail and
instead trust my research and assume I drew the rare short straw,
twice, but I'll need a day or two before rational thought carries the
day and I go back to the dealer. If there's anything more to be
learned from this, keep the posts coming, please. If not, it's not
that big of a puzzle (unlike heel side turns for me right now, which
is what I want to be thinking about) and thanks for sharing.

I put up some pics on my little site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~pwef/deleteAfter20040226.htm

Old January 27th 04, 04:53 AM
Johnny K

all i know is don't get Burton bindings!!!! I'm am terribly unhappy with
my Burton freestyles.. a lot of people at the hill go "MAn, burtons
rule", but i believe it's just a name thing now..

Old January 27th 04, 10:11 PM
Chris Murray

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:59:34 -0800, Paul wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul -

Looking at the pictures on your site, and considering that there is damage
on both the boot and binding on the same foot, perhaps there was something
that damaged them together.

I put my bindings on pretty tight (Salomon SP3's, 2002/03) with my
Malamute boots and I havn't had this kind of damage. When you are storing
your board, do you leave the boots in the bindings? Perhaps they were
damaged when you were not riding.

I'd get a new strap and the boot fixed. You setup should last you a long
time, whatever it was, I don't think it was equipment failure.

Cheers! - Chris

cmurray at apeman dot org