kyoto update

Old December 2nd 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Default kyoto update

Norm wrote:

"pigo" wrote in message news:ccb8cf16-19ed-40e5-947c-

There is a UN conference on the environment, Kyoto and so forth, and
they're doing it in Bali. They're all going to fly there on their
corporate jets. There is only parking space at the airport in Bali for
15 of them. So most of the private jets from around the world -- from
all these people that care so much about the environment -- are going
to have to be ferried back and forth empty to other aiports, burning
fossil fuels.

I'm not surprised, but I like to get the information out there.

How about some information that actually matters?
What does any of the above have to do with the issue? Where and how do you
expect them to get together, by rickshaw?

So Bali is the only possible place to hold such a conference? It might
seem like a good idea to set some sort of example, unless the attitude
of the attendees is "Screw you, we know what's good for you and we'll do
what we want" which is not all that unlikely. Granted, nobody ever
holds "conferences" in unpleasant places, but surely there are a few
places open in areas with real actual airports that real actual
scheduled airlines use. If Holiday Inn isn't good enough, surely
there's an Embassy Suites nearby.

If one dime of public money is spent on such an event it's either fraud,
waste or abuse. Take your pick.

Of course they are going to use the methods of transportation available to
them. None of your arguments make an ounce of difference in the overall
scheme of things. We need to find ways to reduce industry's output, use our
cars less, heat and light our buildings more efficiently, produce food
locally, etc. There are ways to accomplish all of these things, we just need
to convice a few people to stop clinging to the status quo and invest a
little money in our future. To all the neanderthals insisting its going to
cost money, of course it is, but do you economics majors believe money just
disappears? Do you really want to be the last one making changes or would
you prefer to be the one who develops and sells the technologies to everyone
else? Now is the time to have some vision and make that choice.

There's a fine old prescription: "Put your money where your mouth is."
People who don't abide by the same rules they make for others (pretty
much any government entity) are neither good nor honest, just chiseling
opportunists.

Actually 10 years ago would ahve been the time, but better late than never.

Great Christ on a bloody crutch. I've been saving and conserving and
underutilizing for 60 years. Ho harangue somebody else, I've paid my
dues. Probably yours too.

--
Cheers, Bev
I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's
Old December 2nd 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"pigo" wrote in message news:743abfa2-2aef-4d3a-b379-

Had there been people around at the end of the last ice age they too
would have seen evidence of global warming everytime that they walked
out their front doors. It worked out pretty good that time.

There were probably many who would disagree with this analysis.

Bob

Old December 3rd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

pigo wrote:
There is only parking space at the airport in Bali for
15 of them.

Where did you hear that? Denpassar looked like a pretty good size
airport the times I've been there, but I never asked about parking 16
Gulfstreams ...
Old December 3rd 07, 08:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_9_]

Kyoto has a new signatory today: Australia. Hours after our new (Labor)
government was sworn in, the new PM signed Kyoto. At long last.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old December 3rd 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:
pigo wrote:
There is only parking space at the airport in Bali for
15 of them.

Where did you hear that? Denpassar looked like a pretty good size
airport the times I've been there, but I never asked about parking 16
Gulfstreams ...

I think he is confusing gates with parking spaces. There are about 15
gates, but private jets don't even use those anyway.

If you use the little google earth window on this page:
http://www.azworldairports.com/airports/p1760dps.htm you can see
there's parking for what looks like at least a hundred jets, probably
more..

-klaus

Old December 6th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Doofus Fighter

On Dec 1, 4:51 pm, klaus wrote:

snip
http://tinyurl.com/2ov4g8
Old December 6th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Doofus Fighter

On Dec 1, 4:51 pm, klaus wrote:
pigo wrote:

snip

http://tinyurl.com/3acfb2
Old December 6th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Doofus Fighter

snip
http://tinyurl.com/yt8qto
Old December 6th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Doofus Fighter

On Dec 1, 4:51 pm, klaus wrote:
pigo wrote:

snip

ttp://tinyurl.com/2zhoea
Old December 6th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Doofus Fighter

On Dec 1, 4:51 pm, klaus wrote:
pigo wrote:

snip

Well, Mr. Personality:

There appears to be a legitimate opposing viewpoint out there (as an
offshoot, one would hardly call the BBC responsible or unbiased).
We on the East Coast are all wallowing in the mass destruction of the
massive hurricane incidences of the past 2 years (Just for your own
edification we had NONE this year). I would suggest you go back to
doing what you do best which is playing frisbee with your smarter half
and continue living down to expectations.

Ace update Cane European Ski Resorts 0 September 9th 06 06:57 AM
Ace update cupra European Ski Resorts 0 September 8th 06 06:42 AM
Ace update Cab European Ski Resorts 0 September 8th 06 03:03 AM
Ace update Alex Heney European Ski Resorts 0 September 8th 06 01:39 AM
Ace update Wicked Uncle Nigel European Ski Resorts 0 September 7th 06 10:36 PM