Snowboarder Converting to Skiing: Advice

Old November 6th 03, 03:19 AM
keegnotrub

Default Snowboarder Converting to Skiing: Advice

Hi,

I have been snowboarding for quite some time (6-7 years or so) but
have begun to look around for something new. Last winter I borrowed a
friends skis for a weekend and had a blast. So as it turns out I
would now like to purchase skis for the upcoming winter season. I
would say I'm looking for a ski that can really carve in a back and
forth motion on the cordory (coming from a snowboard background here)
but still be able to be used as an all mountain ski (a bit of powder,
tree/glade, chutes, etc). I don't think I will find myself doing much
with mogels however (I would like to save my legs for as long as
possible).

My friend is a K2 enthusiast and reccommended the 04' K2 public
enemys. They look like they have a pretty good sidecut but I really
don't know for I have very little experience with skiing equipment.

If it helps, I am about 160lbs and am at about an intermediate level
(currently skiing in the midwest, although will be moving to colorado
next fall).

Thanks for any input,

Ryan Krug
Old November 6th 03, 08:03 AM
Tux

My advice is to demo, demo, demo. Find what works for you before you buy.

Doug
Old November 6th 03, 04:31 PM
keegnotrub

Tux wrote in message news:vfnqb.21227$6A4.11382@edtnps84...
My advice is to demo, demo, demo. Find what works for you before you buy.

Doug

Unfortunatley, I have no shops in the area (Wisconsin) that allow such a thing.
Old November 6th 03, 10:01 PM
Walt

Chuck wrote:

Unfortunatley, I have no shops in the area (Wisconsin) that allow such
a thing.

What about slopeside? Lots of ski areas have a their own performance/demo
center shop that will let you rent skis to demo.

The smaller Ma and Pa hills in the midwest don't usually have a demo
center. Of the ten closest hills to my house, none have demos. You
gotta go looking - it's worth it though...

--
//-Walt
//
Old November 6th 03, 11:05 PM
Walt

Kurt Knisely wrote:

Yea, I guess. Boots, I totally agree. I've wasted alot of time buying boots
that did not fit and hurt my feet.

But nobody lets you demo boots, do they? Sure, you can put them on in
the store and walk around. While this is a good idea - you should wear
them for at least half an hour before even thinking about getting out
the credit card - you don't actually get to ski with the boots until you
buy.

By that standard, many places would probably let you put the skis on in
the store and stand on them on the carpet, but that's hardly an
effective demo...

Bindings and skis? Maybe if you're a racer,
but then you're probably going to be demoing a bunch of equipment anyway?

I just don't think demoing skis is all that important, and it can be expensive.

Well, it's free if you go to a demo day. And I've seen demo huts that
charge as little as $10, but you're right that most of the time it's
expensive - much more expensive than it should be. Whoever heard of a
rental that approaches 10% of retail except at ski slopes? I can rent a
$20,000 car for less per day than a $600 pair of skis.

--
//-Walt
//
Old November 6th 03, 11:23 PM
lal_truckee

Kurt Knisely wrote:

I can certainly tell the differences between how my
different skis feel now though.

Plus, it takes about 1one run to learn the sweet spot and behavior of a
new ski. This stuff is not a mystery - it's just experience.

I agree - newbies don't know what they're looking for and can't feel it
if they stumble over it. Better for a newbie to use a mid-performance
ski and learn what he can while putting MILES underfoot.

Old November 6th 03, 11:47 PM
bdubya

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:05:20 -0500, Walt wrote:

Kurt Knisely wrote:

Yea, I guess. Boots, I totally agree. I've wasted alot of time buying boots
that did not fit and hurt my feet.

But nobody lets you demo boots, do they?

I don't remember the name of the shop in Breck where I got mine, but
they most definitely let me demo them. It wasn't cheap (IIRC, like
$45 for a day, deductible from purchase but non-refundable otherwise).
They slapped a lot of ductape on them to keep them from getting
scuffed. I think they knew they had a probable sale (after I spent
over half an hour standing around their shop, moving my knees in all
sorts of weird ways), so this might be unusual, but anyhow, at least
some shops do let you demo boots. I paid full retail for them, but at
least I was confident that was the only pain they would inflict on me.

bw
Old November 7th 03, 12:17 AM
Herbie

If your still around late December go to demo days in Wausau, WI

http://www.skigranitepeak.com/events/
Demo Day
Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003
Try the latest skis and snowboards from Salomon, Volkl, Rossignol and
other top manufacturers.

Also Zellers Ski Shop in Green Bay is a nice shop to help answer your
questions.

Herb
also from the "harvard of the midwest" UWGB

Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 09:03 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
European Skiing -- Chalet and Accomodation Advice in France BrritSki European Ski Resorts 3 September 18th 03 04:59 PM
European Skiing -- Chalet and Accomodation Advice in France Ben Alpine Skiing 4 September 18th 03 04:59 PM