ski from Fallen Leaf lake to Lake Aloha, Deso wilderness

Old January 26th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default ski from Fallen Leaf lake to Lake Aloha, Deso wilderness

I posted about this to rec.backcountry, but could not get a response.

I would like to try backcountry skiing for the first time. The idea is
to ski from Fallen Leaf Lake, Tahoe, to Lake Aloha, Desolation
wilderness. It's going to be my buddy and myself (he has good
experience in bcs, my experiences are in XC racing and backpacking in
summer). Does anyone have a suggestion on the best starting point? My
Tahoe Ski touring book suggests starting at "Tahoe Mountain Road" in
South lake Tahoe, but the book is relatively old (judging from 80s
style clothing and 75 mm bindings they use ). Does anyone have
comments (snowmobiles, private land crossings, etc)? The plan is to
ski up to Aloha on day 1, sleep, and ski down the next day.

Also, looks like the backpack will be much heavier compared to summer
b/c of all the winiter clothing. Does the fact that you are skiing
instead of walking (i.e. less pounding on legs) make the pack feel...
well... lighter?
Old January 26th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 26, 11:56 am, "
wrote:
[...]

....and - do I really need metal edges and heavy expedition boots? I am
thinking to rent regular touring skis and light bc boots at Pacos
(done this before for day outings to the backcountry - and did not
have much trouble, did not have to break trail though). I am thinking
that the reduced weight will help easier going. I am hoping that I
have enough experience with snow from my racing days to negotiate
backcountry. Oh, and, probably, no skins, either. Thinking to take
snowshoes just in case, but this will add a couple more pounds to the
already humongous pack.
Old January 26th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eugene Miya

In article ,
wrote:
On Jan 26, 11:56 am, "
wrote:
I posted about this to rec.backcountry, but could not get a response.

Never saw it.

I would like to try backcountry skiing for the first time.

OK.

The idea is
to ski from Fallen Leaf Lake, Tahoe, to Lake Aloha, Desolation

This is considerable relief (vertical rise) for a novice.

wilderness. It's going to be my buddy and myself (he has good
experience in bcs, my experiences are in XC racing and backpacking in
summer). Does anyone have a suggestion on the best starting point? My

Buy a snow park permit, park at Echo Summit, and ski to Aloha from
there. The snow will be chopped up near the road but you will have less
vertical except where you want it (Price or the side of Pyramid, no
trees) and minimal tree skiing.

Tahoe Ski touring book suggests starting at "Tahoe Mountain Road" in
South lake Tahoe, but the book is relatively old (judging from 80s
style clothing and 75 mm bindings they use ). Does anyone have
comments (snowmobiles, private land crossings, etc)? The plan is to
ski up to Aloha on day 1, sleep, and ski down the next day.

Also, looks like the backpack will be much heavier compared to summer
b/c of all the winiter clothing. Does the fact that you are skiing
instead of walking (i.e. less pounding on legs) make the pack feel...
well... lighter?

8^)

...and - do I really need metal edges and heavy expedition boots? I am

Depends how good a skier you already are.

If you are a weak skier, you won't feel the difference with metal edges
(very minor).

thinking to rent regular touring skis and light bc boots at Pacos
(done this before for day outings to the backcountry - and did not
have much trouble, did not have to break trail though). I am thinking
that the reduced weight will help easier going. I am hoping that I
have enough experience with snow from my racing days to negotiate
backcountry. Oh, and, probably, no skins, either. Thinking to take

8^)
snowshoes just in case, but this will add a couple more pounds to the
already humongous pack.

Ever camp on snow?

Skip the snow shoes.
Snow boarders have to carry those. You may see some on the side of
Pyramid, or even Ralston.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Old January 27th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Buy a snow park permit, park at Echo Summit, and ski to Aloha from
there. The snow will be chopped up near the road but you will have less
vertical except where you want it (Price or the side of Pyramid, no
trees) and minimal tree skiing.

I will consider Echo summit as a starting point. We will be driving
from Truckee, so Fallen Leaf seems closer. Also, the road from Fallen
leaf seems more wind-protected. I do not mind the vertical.
Old January 27th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Ever camp on snow?

- Oh, ***no*** to this. Planning to bring 2 thermarests and 2 sleeping
bags (don't have a 4-season sleeping bag). I've slept in sub 10 deg
nights before, but not on snow (racetrack, death valley).
Old January 27th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 26, 4:44*pm, "
wrote:
Ever camp on snow?

- Oh, ***no*** to this. Planning to bring 2 thermarests and 2 sleeping
bags (don't have a 4-season sleeping bag). I've slept in sub 10 deg
nights before, but not on snow (racetrack, death valley).

If you have never done an overnight in the snow you may want to give
it a try by skiing in a short distance with your loaded pack, spending
the night with what you think you need before trying expedition
travel. By short, you should be close enough to your vehicle so that
you can self-evaculate without having to trouble search and rescue.

You may also want to try skiing with a loaded pack, both climbing and
descending terrain and trails similar to your proposed trip.
Executing a turn with a full pack on wild snow is a lot different than
turning on groomed Tahoe Donner XC trails.

You may or may not need metal edged skis, but you need a ski that will
support your weight with pack without breaking. Also 100 percent
carbon fiber poles may not survive your calling on them with your
pack.

You may want to take along one of those satallite beacons that send
GPS "cookie crumb" trail locations to a designated E-mail address.
That will simplify recovery if it turns out that you really don't know
what you are doing. That said, wild skiing in nice places is a great
experience. Personally, I'd prefer to do a DNT hut to hut carrying a
lighter pack with guides who know what they are doing.
Old January 27th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

If you have never done an overnight in the snow you may want to give
it a try by skiing in a short distance with your loaded pack, spending
the night with what you think you need before trying expedition
travel. By short, you should be close enough to your vehicle so that
you can self-evaculate without having to trouble search and rescue.

That's why I liked the Fleaf route better: if I realize that I am not
getting anywhere, I will crash and sleep wherever I get to on the
first day (while still being in a valley, i.e. protected from the
wind) and then ski back downhill the next day (which, to my limited
experience, is ~3 times faster than the way up)

You may also want to try skiing with a loaded pack, both climbing and
descending terrain and trails similar to your proposed trip.
Executing a turn with a full pack on wild snow is a lot different than
turning on groomed Tahoe Donner XC trails.

Damn, so, no hockey stops?

You may or may not need metal edged skis, but you need a ski that will
support your weight with pack without breaking. Also 100 percent
carbon fiber poles may not survive your calling on them with your
pack.

I've learned this the hard way on one of my previous day trips into
BC. RIP my SWIX TEAM pole. So, only cheap Al.

You may want to take along one of those satallite beacons that send
GPS "cookie crumb" trail locations to a designated E-mail address.

Interesting. Can I rent one in Truckee? Can I add everyone's emails at
RSN to the list?

Old January 27th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
freeheelfunhog

My wife and I used to live and teach xc skiing at a lodge on Fallen
Leaf Lake; Desolation was our backyard. It's a great potential
introductory place if the weather is good (which it is a lot of the
time), but should be respected if the weather and/or snow conditions
are threatening. I have seen some major avalanches in the Glen Alpine
valley (which is where you will likely be if you start at Fallen Leaf
Lake rather than Echo).

One thing my wife and I did is to pitch our tent (make a base camp)
and then day-ski with a lighter day pack. This was back in the 80s and
we seldom saw anyone. We used relatively light metal-edged waxless
Fischers and Karhus. They were fast and if the snow was corn, we would
actually skate. Boots weren't that heavy either. I still use these
skis when the conditions are good, but mostly use alpine touring gear
for the steeper downhills.

If you are in pretty good shape, your equipment is light enough, and
the snow conditions are good, you may find that you can cover huge
distances in a small amount of time. On the way back from the bay
area, I used to get dropped off at Echo and ski to Fallen Leaf Lake: a
couple of hours. It's actually a lot shorter distance than you might
think. In fact, Desolation itself isn't all that big.

I imagine there are a lot more people these days, but it's still a
wonderful place.

Torsten

Old January 27th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 26, 5:23*pm, "
wrote:

Interesting. Can I rent one in Truckee? Can I add everyone's emails at
RSN to the list?

with guides who know what they are doing.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.rei.com/product/766529

With a SPOT Satellite Messenger, Backpacker April '08 states, ''Now
you can call in a rescue—or simply send the OK signal—from anywhere.''
The world's first satellite messenger, SPOT sends your coordinates and
messages via commercial satellite to inform others of your location
and status.
Offers an affordable alternative to personal locator beacons,
satellite phones and cell-based GPS trackers
Provides virtually full coverage in North America, Europe and
Australia
Also covers portions of South America, northern Africa and
northeastern Asia, along with thousands of miles of offshore areas
''Alert 911'' function dispatches emergency responders to your exact
location
Use ''Help'' feature to request assistance from friends or family
''Check In'' allows you to transmit your location and that you are okay
Old January 27th 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 26, 6:43*pm, freeheelfunhog wrote:
My wife and I used to live and teach xc skiing at a lodge on Fallen
Leaf Lake; Desolation was our backyard. It's a great potential
introductory place if the weather is good (which it is a lot of the
time), but should be respected if the weather and/or snow conditions
are threatening. I have seen some major avalanches in the Glen Alpine
valley (which is where you will likely be if you start at Fallen Leaf
Lake rather than Echo).

The forecast looks good.

We have decided to do exactly what you suggested - ski into Deso on
day 1 (half day, realistically), make camp, sleep, ski around on day 2
(Pyramid peak?), sleep, ski back down (half day, realistically).

I am a bit worried about avalanches, but I am hoping the snow have
settled by the time we get there (they just had a storm and it is
supposed to be warm for the rest of the week).

Lake Louise [email protected] Alpine Skiing 0 August 18th 06 08:25 PM
New Leaf Fitness dave w Nordic Skiing 1 March 16th 05 03:48 PM
Lake Tahoe A A North American Ski Resorts 2 February 20th 04 03:34 AM
Lake Tahoe end Mar..beg Apr spike North American Ski Resorts 6 December 22nd 03 02:44 AM
Lake Placid - Mt. Van Bob Maswick Nordic Skiing 3 November 21st 03 12:14 PM