Looking for cheap entry-level skate skis 205cm+

Old January 3rd 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Looking for cheap entry-level skate skis 205cm+

All right, the subject says it all, mostly. I am a big guy 6'3" and 220
lbs. I have classic skis and have enjoyed them for two seasons. This
year I would like to give skating a shot. I've been searching around
for a decent pair of used skis, but am having a hard time finding ones
long enough for me. So, I figured I'd post here and see if anyone may
know of someone looking to unload some rock skis or may have a used
pair laying around. I am planning on buying boots, bindings and poles,
so just the skis are cool.

I am located in the Minneapolis area.

Thanks for any leads, people!

Old January 3rd 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I would look for ***stiff***, not long, skis. Entry level skis tend to
be soft.

Old January 3rd 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

If you find used skis, you'll want someone along who can check out
whether they fit you and your needs in terms of flex, ski
characteristics and wear. Skinnyski.com classifieds are good and take a
look at the sales stock at the several shops in your area. The second
level skates run at about half the price of top racing skis and are a
good choice for starting out. Something like Fischer SCS, Atomic RS 9
or 10, Maddshus, Rossignol and Salomon. Look at Gear West, which has a
site and lots of overstock from previous years, and also I hear that
Joe's often has sales. Not to knock the others. Pick boots for fit,
then choose bindings to match. The other reply is correct. You'll want
the longer skate in any brand, about 192-195cm, but it's the weight
to camber relationship that is most important for starts. Good luck.

Old January 3rd 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Please post more if you
have it, but this is a great start.

Old January 4th 07, 07:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

[pre breakfast rant]
I must say I'd also wish longer skate skis existed. Why would length have to
top off at the ideal for a featherweight skier? Shorter is slower, or better
: weight/length is indicative of gliding resistance. Otherwise skis would be
like big foots.
It's like bikes, up to 6'4" you can fit an XL comfortably, and most brands
offer one. If you're taller, get the XL anyway, it's the perfect size for
you (not).
Huge difference between the bike and ski industry : bike industry does
accept orders for bikes that fit, custom made or even series production. If
you're 6'9", there's a few really good bikes out there for you, though a bit
more expensive than the average racer boy ones.

Rule of proportions are valid in every sport I've gotten to know, I'd be
baffled if for skis it turned out 194cm really IS the longest preferable
length for skaters 1m85 and up, of any weight. Ski manufacturers are too
chicken to even have one of them step forward and make a single proper
one-size-fit-all Clydesdale ski. Totally cowardous, and even unsmart from a
sales perspective. So many brands so easily available world-wide, a single
Clyde ski would sell in rally decent numbers. Any sports market with grown
men need a plus size. Without it, Clydes are at a mechanical disadvantage,
even if they have the same power to weight, and power to frontal surface
ratios are world cup winners. In cycling there is room for super-tall track
racers, the world hour record holder would not be able to get really
properly fitting skis if he'd decide to cross-train. Does track favor tall
riders? No, speeds are high so being tall is bad. Yet with custom and even
stock bikes that actually fit, athletes can develop themselves and compete
on a fair and level playfield.

I'll abuse this space to again state I am surprised that in a world-wide
business, not a single supplier exist for made-to-fit ski's. It's a
profession that should exist. As non-skier, I can totally imagine how it
would be. There's even custom tire makers in the bike business, producing
tubulars only used by a fraction of the sport anymore, and despite very good
stock offerings at lower cost readily available in shops.

Let's all (or at least all Clydes) hope that folks like Zack Caldwell in a
brave moment decide to start making their own skis, and eventually offering
them to customers. Lenght and flex to preferene, as well as side cut. I
refuse to believe it's rocket science. Half a dozen excellent brands manage
to pump out dozens of different length and flex skis, and develop new models
every year. If I had some cash, I'd start making skis myself, hire someone
who knows how to and offer skis that truly fit, and open up new
opportunities.
Without the customer builders innovating cycling, large companies would have
much less reason to improve their product, and just reduce costs where they
can. Think the ski business is self-motivating enough, do skis improve
enough? Do they get faster every year? With bikes, significant improvements
in weight and stiffness are reached on an almost yearly basis.

No 100kg skier is going to accomplish anything in top level racing, because
skis don't exist for him. Racing is close, not to the disadvantage of the
strong, but for those with slow skis.
Please educate me and tell me wrong, because I really do want to believe I
do not have a disadvantage coming into this sport being really tall and
potentially heavy once race-fit.
"Best" I can find : a 194cm skate ski, also used by much shorter and lighter
racers.

[/pre breakfast rant]

schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old January 4th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I did not read the whole thing.

Regarding "skis made to fit" vs "bikes made to fit".

I doubt is one can make a ski with a predictable stiffness
distribution. Instead, they pick skis with the right properties
(interesitng, it's like selection in evolution).

In contrast, bikes are made from tubes of defined length. If the bike
if the right size, it will fit. A ski is a more complex beast.

Old January 4th 07, 08:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
No 100kg skier is going to accomplish anything in top level racing, because
skis don't exist for him. Racing is close, not to the disadvantage of the
strong, but for those with slow skis.
Please educate me and tell me wrong, because I really do want to believe I
do not have a disadvantage coming into this sport being really tall and
potentially heavy once race-fit.
"Best" I can find : a 194cm skate ski, also used by much shorter and lighter

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/tor...Iversen/604794

Trond Iversen is 6'4", 90kg. And he's a badass, if you ask me. There
are larger classic skiers from earlier times, but since skating is
where your interest is, and modern equipment is what you have to choose
from, I chose Trond as an example of a large guy who does well.

He is "only" 90kg, but I suspect that were he a hobby skier who spent
as much time on Usenet as we do, he might well be 100kg. In other
words, most of us who are 100kg, could be 90kg if we had to be.

Your size is not an issue Jan! So, are you coming to Norway anytime
soon? ;-)

Joseph

Old January 4th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 08:21:52 +0100, "Jan Gerrit Klok"
wrote:

I must say I'd also wish longer skate skis existed. Why would length have to
top off at the ideal for a featherweight skier? Shorter is slower, or better

Rule of proportions are valid in every sport I've gotten to know,

Well, where I ski a lot they don't have specially wide trails for the
tall guys....

More generally, could you try actually skiing on skis before
speculating on this sort of thing.

It's just a suggestion.

--
JT
****************************
Old January 4th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

wrote:

I must say I'd also wish longer skate skis existed. Why would length have to
top off at the ideal for a featherweight skier? Shorter is slower, or better

Rule of proportions are valid in every sport I've gotten to know,

Well, where I ski a lot they don't have specially wide trails for the
tall guys....

Even if they did, it wouldn't matter. Even with a long inseam, my
stride on a most extreme steep hill is probably only 1 foot wider, if
that, than an average height person. Probably the limiting factor for
really tall folks is available boots, more than too short skis.

More generally, could you try actually skiing on skis before
speculating on this sort of thing.

It's just a suggestion.

Somebody ****ed in JT's Wheeties! Probably one of those crazies over on
r.b.t! ;-) But Jan he's right, these things are interesting to think
about and ponder, but once you are out on a trail, it doesn't really
matter. So many other factors have so much greater a bearing on what
happens that it isn't worth worrying about.

Joseph