salt tabs

Old July 1st 05, 10:36 AM
Terje Henriksen

Very informative thread. Serious question: do any of you know about
how long the body takes to absorb/disperse salt when taken as a salt
tab? I guess that the actual statistic will vary with each person as
well as each situation but I expect that there are some benchmarks.
Pete

According to my memory, it took just few minutes after taking the salt
tablets during a 90 km race before I could feel the body reacted in a
positive way.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old August 7th 05, 08:38 PM
Alex

In Norwegian - I think it is "glukose" ellers "druesukker"

Old August 10th 05, 10:43 AM
Chris Cole

Terje Henriksen wrote:
Chris Cole wrote:

wrote:

Very informative thread. Serious question: do any of you know about
how long the body takes to absorb/disperse salt when taken as a salt
tab? I guess that the actual statistic will vary with each person as
well as each situation but I expect that there are some benchmarks.
Pete

Fairly quickly. The tablets will totally dissolve in the stomach in a
matter of seconds to minutes. The gastric mucosa will not do much
absorbing of the sodium however. This occurs in the small & large
intestines. Some movement of sodium occurs by facilitated diffusion
down concentration gradients but most of it is actively transported,
usually as part of a symport or co-transport mechanism.

One important point... if you're low on sodium and you're taking extra
salt to make up for it, toss down something with some glucose in it,
too, as glucose facilitates increased / faster sodium uptake from the
intestinal lumen.

What is glucose, wood?

Glucose = sugar (one type thereof).