New Salomon boots (redux)

Old February 27th 06, 12:30 PM

Default New Salomon boots (redux)

Had a chance at the Birkie to demo the new Salomon carbon classic boots,
the black pilots. I had been skeptical in the previous thread (1/27),
but these are quite an improvement, much more so than the skate pilot
vs. profil difference. The last is now like the combi, which I had
switched to this season, wide in the forefoot and comfortable. A
friend suspects they have eliminated some of the insulation to get that
room, but the carbons haven't been known for their warmth anyway, so I
wonder if that's it (didn't check). The double pin, used with a pilot
binding, gives a very solid feel of the ski and foot moving together,
especially in the forward stride. In retrospect, I can see that
Salomon has been trying to get that solidity by using the stiffest
forefoot around (compare the Race Classic 9 with a Rossi Xium), but the
double pin binding is a much better solution and eliminates the boot's
stiffness. It still has the sleeve and requires two hands on the loops
to get in. Salomon reps told me that the classic pilot is usable with
the profil binding, with some shaving down of the flexor - they gave me
a profil binding at first by mistake - but the difference was minimal.
Instead, there is supposed to be a retrofit kit to use with the current
profils.

Anyone else get to demo them?

Gene
Old February 27th 06, 08:11 PM

Gene,

Thanks for posting on the new boots, which have been a source of
curiosity for me. When you mentioned the Salomon reps' recommendation
to shave the flexor to enhance compatibility with the Profil binding,
is this because of a change in the location of the front pin? I've seen
some specs for the new Pilot 2 sole, which indicate the front pin has
been shifted back (away) from the front "clasp" of the binding,
approximately 10mm. Is it your impression that the retrofit kit relates
specifically to a change in the flexor, or something else? Did the reps
have anything to say about compatibility of the new line of carbon
skate boots and profil bindings? Thanks, Marc

Old February 28th 06, 07:48 PM

Ralph wrote:
I tried to check out the new skating boot but, alas, they never bring a
boot big enough to fit me to the demos. So I'll have to wait until next
year.
Ralph Thornton

I was told by the rep that they only had demo sizes up to 10.5. They
said that it would be a while before any of the larger sizes would be
available. I am a 12 - 12.5, so was disappointed.

Dave

Old March 1st 06, 06:40 PM

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:11:25 +0100, Marcuski wrote:

Gene,

Thanks for posting on the new boots, which have been a source of
curiosity for me. When you mentioned the Salomon reps' recommendation
to shave the flexor to enhance compatibility with the Profil binding,
is this because of a change in the location of the front pin? I've seen
some specs for the new Pilot 2 sole, which indicate the front pin has
been shifted back (away) from the front "clasp" of the binding,
approximately 10mm. Is it your impression that the retrofit kit relates
specifically to a change in the flexor, or something else? Did the reps
have anything to say about compatibility of the new line of carbon
skate boots and profil bindings? Thanks, Marc

I just bought a pair of skate boots from the new carbon line. It is still
the same, you have to shave the flexor on Profil bindings.

LASR

Old March 5th 06, 12:56 PM

In article ,
Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Really, the black ones? Where are they being sold?

Gene

The rep at the Birkie said the only new black boots (Salomon calls them
teh Black Beauties and the boot has the "3D Chassis") produced were made
for the demo circuit. They are available for an elite few racers but the
rest of us will have to wait for next year.

Naturally they did have a dem my size, but I can state that the tow box
is bigger than the old carbon pro models. The boot was nice and lite and
had a well made feel and look to it. My friend found one that fit and
says it was the most comfortable "out of the box" boot he has ever tried
on. Lots of hype right now, I'm definitely going to try on a pair next
fall.

BTW: The reps told my to try a size 1/2 smaller than my old yellow/black
skate boots.
Ralph Thornton

Old March 5th 06, 07:11 PM

Trondheim, Norway. A local bike and ski shop named Hank sport. Payed $285
(30% off). I was going to buy the silver one sales but they were out of my
size, so they sold me The Black 3D Carbon instead. I was not aware of that
they were next years product, they'v had them in the shop for a few months
now.

LASR

Old March 7th 06, 04:04 AM

I did a "demo ski" of around 5k in the new boots at the Birkie, and I'd
have to say that they are nice, but didn't blow me away. I skied in
9.1 RS boots for a long time and recently got a pair of Carbon Pro
Skates and would describe the new boots as being somewhat of a hybrid
between the two in terms of feel and comfort. They actually felt both
roomier and more padded to me than the Carbon Pros, and seem to be
built to be a little less extreme - for example, the flexible plastic
plate that goes over the top of your arch to disperse the pressure from
the laces, is much thicker on the new boot than the Pro Skate. The new
boot feels a little firmer and more structured than the old 9.1 RS but
less so than the Pro Skates. A nice boot, but not lust-worthy in my
view.

Old March 7th 06, 04:44 AM

Has anyone seen demos for the "RS Carbon" boot? It appears to be
second in the model line behind the S-Lab Carbons.

Here's a pic:
RS Carbon....
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg....88_3352190.gif

S-Lab Carbon....