Fallback Options

Old November 29th 05, 05:29 PM

BrritSki wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

... and castor oil will ease the pain of arthritis.

Taken internally or externally ? (serious question)

Externally. Some people say it helps.

My knee has been bad for a few weeks and has been eased in the last
couple of days by lots of massage all round the joint and in the
muscles and tendons above and below. I've been using Ibuprofen gel at
night and regular massage oil in the morning.

Maybe the castor oil doesn't help in itself, and it's just the
rubbing on that gives relief.

I'd doubt that. Can rubbing help pain caused by uncushioned bone-ends
grating against one another? OTOH, can castor oil help pain caused by...

I don't think it is bone-ends grating - I've had that nice "crunchy
knee" for years and never causes any real pain.

No, this is a displaced or torn LIGAMENT following a bout of digging in
hard compacted soil where I was having to jump up and down on the spade
and then twist and lift. There are lumps in my right knee that are
absent in my left ! Massaging them and connected tendons and muscles
has an immediate effect as has stretching my quads/hamstrings/calf.

Ooops, I think I meant ligament up there...
Old November 29th 05, 06:25 PM

Walt wrote:

ant wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Back in the old days (before I was born) castor oil was given as a
laxative and tasted so bad that children would scream in agony.

cod liver oil is far worse, taste-wise. We used to have a spoonful every
night. Bloody disgusting.

I had mine in the morning. I actually liked it. Eventually Vitamin A came in
little round gelcaps, and I kind of missed the oil.

A spoonful? We had to drink a gallon of it, and moreover we had to
remove the liver ourselves and squeeze the oil out between our thumb and
forefingers. We'd have to start extracting and squeezing pretty darn
early to get enough oil outta them cods in order to get to bed at a
decent hour. Sometimes we'd come up a few ounces short and have to stay
up all night trying to squeeze a little bit more oil.

But we were grateful...

You had THUMBS? Damn, if we'd had thumbs we'd have counted ourself real rich
*******s. We had to sit on the damn cod livers and bounce up and down.
Anybody who thinks that might be fun has never done it. It was the only fun
we had, though, and we HAD to like it.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old November 29th 05, 06:31 PM

BrritSki wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

... and castor oil will ease the pain of arthritis.

Taken internally or externally ? (serious question)

Externally. Some people say it helps.

My knee has been bad for a few weeks and has been eased in the last
couple of days by lots of massage all round the joint and in the
muscles and tendons above and below. I've been using Ibuprofen gel at
night and regular massage oil in the morning.

Maybe the castor oil doesn't help in itself, and it's just the rubbing
on that gives relief.

I'd doubt that. Can rubbing help pain caused by uncushioned bone-ends
grating against one another? OTOH, can castor oil help pain caused by...

I don't think it is bone-ends grating - I've had that nice "crunchy
knee" for years and never causes any real pain.

Mine is arthritis from presumably bashing my toe on a rock, which then somehow
allowed the stuff between the bones to disintegrate, which then allowed the
bones to rub up against one another and which definitely limits the range of
movement before I scream and fall over from the pain. Nobody ever mentioned
why it HURTS, though. What happens to the nerves? Can't hurt without nerves...

No, this is a displaced or torn cartilage following a bout of digging in
hard compacted soil where I was having to jump up and down on the spade
and then twist and lift. There are lumps in my right knee that are
absent in my left ! Massaging them and connected tendons and muscles
has an immediate effect as has stretching my quads/hamstrings/calf.

You're lucky to find something that helps. Surgery wouldn't work?

Old November 29th 05, 06:49 PM

The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:
ant wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

cod liver oil is far worse, taste-wise. We used to have a spoonful
every night. Bloody disgusting.

A spoonful? We had to drink a gallon of it, and moreover we had to
remove the liver ourselves and squeeze the oil out between our thumb
and forefingers. We'd have to start extracting and squeezing pretty
darn early to get enough oil outta them cods in order to get to bed at
a decent hour. Sometimes we'd come up a few ounces short and have to
stay up all night trying to squeeze a little bit more oil.

But we were grateful...

You had THUMBS?

Well, yes, but not OPPOSABLE thumbs like the rich kids. Just these
useless non-opposable cod-liver-smelling digits hanging limply off our
palms.

//Walt
Old November 29th 05, 07:07 PM

Walt wrote:

A spoonful? We had to drink a gallon of it, and moreover we had to
remove the liver ourselves and squeeze the oil out between our thumb and
forefingers.

Looxury. You had forefingers? What I would have given for
forefingers. We had to squeeze them between our knees and
forehead. Ohh.. what a mess.

We'd have to start extracting and squeezing pretty darn
early to get enough oil outta them cods in order to get to bed at a
decent hour. Sometimes we'd come up a few ounces short and have to stay
up all night trying to squeeze a little bit more oil.

Hah! If we didn't get enough, we had to get up before we ever went to
bed... to make up for the previous days shortfall. And no cod liver
oil to eet that day since we were short. Cold gravel for
breakfast. That's all. With a sprinkle of durt... fur flavor.

But we were grateful...

Aye. Those were the days.

-klaus

Old November 29th 05, 07:10 PM

Walt wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:

A spoonful? We had to drink a gallon of it, and moreover we had to
remove the liver ourselves and squeeze the oil out between our thumb
and forefingers. We'd have to start extracting and squeezing pretty
darn early to get enough oil outta them cods in order to get to bed at
a decent hour. Sometimes we'd come up a few ounces short and have to
stay up all night trying to squeeze a little bit more oil.

But we were grateful...

You had THUMBS?

Well, yes, but not OPPOSABLE thumbs like the rich kids. Just these
useless non-opposable cod-liver-smelling digits hanging limply off our
palms.

Yikes! You were a McClannacanahanagain?

-klaus

Old November 29th 05, 07:25 PM

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

You had THUMBS?

Well, yes, but not OPPOSABLE thumbs like the rich kids. Just these
useless non-opposable cod-liver-smelling digits hanging limply off our
palms.

Yikes! You were a McClannacanahanagain?

Of course not. We were far too poor to be a McClannacanahanagain,
whatever in the world that may be.

//Walt
Old November 29th 05, 07:58 PM

Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

You had THUMBS?

Well, yes, but not OPPOSABLE thumbs like the rich kids. Just these
useless non-opposable cod-liver-smelling digits hanging limply off our
palms.

Yikes! You were a McClannacanahanagain?

Of course not. We were far too poor to be a McClannacanahanagain,
whatever in the world that may be.

I'm sorry.. It's just that one of the fondest memories I have of the
old days is the McClannacanahanagain sisters and those useless
non-opposable cod-liver-smelling digits hanging limply off their
palms. Makes my ears twitch just thinking about it. Those
McClannacanahanagain sisters. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Photographs?
Is she into photooooooo...graphs? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Ehhh
squire, photooooooo...graphs. Ughhhhhhhh Know what I mean? Nudge
nudge, wink, wink.

-klaus

Old November 29th 05, 10:03 PM

BrritSki wrote:
ant wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

I agree that Iraq wasn't an immediate threat or that the 45 minute
claim was ever a reality, but everyone "knew" they had WMDs at the
time.

No one "knew", but a lot of us were bloody sure there were no WMD
and argued the point strenuously, which was not a popular move.

Got any quotes on when you (or anyone else here for that matter)
argued this pre-war ?

I seem to remember being one of the few who did.

Quotes please.

So you are saying I'm lying?

I certainly was against the war from the start, because it was a spurious
one, it was groundless, Hussein had no WMD, and the war was forced on him by
someone who wanted a war.

I'm sorry you feel the need to say I'm a liar. You were one of those who
became quite aggresssive at my stance on it, that I also remember. I imagine
you'll demand quotes for that, too.

I left two yahoo groups (of which you are a member) due to the viciousness
of the posts in response to what I said.

I am not going to trawl though groups from years ago. I find your demands
pretty amazing, not to mention offensive.

Some people can admit they were wrong and live with it, without having to
get angry at people who have been proven right.

Being pilloried for saying something is more memorable to those pilloried, I
guess, than to those doing the abusing.

--
ant
http://www.dcita.gov.au/tel/do_not_call

Old November 30th 05, 12:44 AM

"Walt" wrote in message
ant wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Back in the old days (before I was born) castor oil was given as a
laxative and tasted so bad that children would scream in agony.

cod liver oil is far worse, taste-wise. We used to have a spoonful every
night. Bloody disgusting.

A spoonful? We had to drink a gallon of it, and moreover we had to
remove the liver ourselves and squeeze the oil out between our thumb and
forefingers. We'd have to start extracting and squeezing pretty darn
early to get enough oil outta them cods in order to get to bed at a
decent hour. Sometimes we'd come up a few ounces short and have to stay
up all night trying to squeeze a little bit more oil.

But we were grateful...

5th grade morning recess: a half-pint of milk (2 cents) and a free cod
liver oil pill.

The tough guys would bite their pills before swallowing them.