What and how to drink during races

Old March 3rd 04, 01:08 AM
Serge

Default What and how to drink during races

Using Yoko 232 system I had to unclip right hand, hold the pole in my
left, reach the bottle, drink and clip in again.

Any solution?

No camalback, please.
Old March 3rd 04, 05:47 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Really? It should be simple. What's the top of your bottle look like?
If it's a solid cylinder all the way up, as opposed to a narrower neck,
that might be difficulty. I've never had any problem taking a cup
during a race or reaching for the bottle using either the straps or
gloves. In fact, that feature, along with the ease of getting in and
out, were the main reasons I initially got them.

Gene

Old March 3rd 04, 06:30 PM
sknyski

I think the only solution is to take the time to unstrap, drink, and
put the strap back on. I did this about 4 times at the birkie (SR2000
Swix). You lose time, but you lose a lot more time if you bonk with
10k to go (which I did anyway).

bt
Old March 3rd 04, 10:04 PM
Brendon M. Troy

"Serge" wrote
snip
No camalback, please.

May I ask why not? Seems kind of counter-productive to ask for advice
but also ask people not to give certain advice . . . even if you have a
prejudice against camelbaks, if you hadn't put this, maybe someone
would've told you to use one, and why, and convinced you to change your
mind?

Not trying to flame, really, but honestly curious why you're already
ruling this out as a possible solution.

-Brendon

Old March 4th 04, 02:31 AM
laxer

Gene Goldenfeld wrote in message ...
Really? It should be simple. What's the top of your bottle look like?
If it's a solid cylinder all the way up, as opposed to a narrower neck,
that might be difficulty. I've never had any problem taking a cup
during a race or reaching for the bottle using either the straps or
gloves. In fact, that feature, along with the ease of getting in and
out, were the main reasons I initially got them.

Gene

I was interested by the yoko staps, but then i saw one of the Finns
have their attachment break off in one of the sprint races. if you
aren't completely sold on the yoko grips/gloves, check out the
performance strap from V2. it is pretty nice, and you can get C-F
poles that would be comperable to the CT1 or CT2 poles for 100 bucks.
all in all a nice deal. But about the strap. Basically it is a basic
strap with a neoprene/velcro strap which goes around your wrist.
simple, and in my experience, it works well. i think that the plam
would be unrestriced enought to allow easy access to a drink belt type
thing. the main thing would be not poleing the person behind you.

laxer
Old March 4th 04, 06:03 AM
Serge

"Brendon M. Troy" wrote in message ...
"Serge" wrote
snip
No camalback, please.

May I ask why not?

Well... for the amount of liquid that I need for average 20K-35K race,
Camelback is overkill - I don't have time for more than one bike bottle.
Races around here tend to be quite hilly - extra weight will not help either.

Technically, water is given by volunteers, but I tend to dislike it -
it is icy pure water in the paper cup and I prefer diluted juice,
sports drink or flat coke of some kind.
Old March 4th 04, 06:11 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

The hardest thing about drinking from a bottle during a race seems to be
finding a place you're comfortable enough to do it w/o stopping.

Mike Wynn uses a camelbak (Snowbowl, 50oz) and says he wouldn't go
without it. You don't even need to fill the thing, as long as you feel
comfortable carrying it. I haven't, but am going to try it out again.

Gene

Old March 4th 04, 03:14 PM
dware

I use the Camelback and really like it. As was said above, you do not
need to fill it up, you can choose how much to carry and always have
fluid available. There are times when it is really handy to get a
drink and you are nowhere near an aid station.

I have the exel grips and it is almost impossible to grab a drink from
a volunteer without using two hands or spilling most, and even then I
can only tilt the cup enough to get about 2/3 of the contents.

The biggest problem with the camelback is making sure the contents do
not freeze.

Good luck,
Dave
Old March 4th 04, 04:11 PM
Scott Elliot

"Serge" wrote in message
om...
"Brendon M. Troy" wrote in

message ...

Technically, water is given by volunteers, but I tend to dislike it -
it is icy pure water in the paper cup and I prefer diluted juice,
sports drink or flat coke of some kind.

It sounds like your race organisers need a little work on how to run a race.
A long time ago at one of my first officials course we were told that drinks
handed out on the course should be luke warm so they can be drunk quickly,
the volunteer should move with the racer to hand off smoothly and the aid
station should be before a gentle downhill straight section so the racers
can continue gliding while drinking.

We try to give the racers a choice of luke warm water or Gatorade (or
whatever sport drink we can get for a sponsor - Gatorade has been the most
responsive locally. (note the unsolicited plug for a repeat sponsor))

When assisting the coaching staff of a racing team we have usually
instructed our racers to skip the general aid stations and supplied them
with sport drinks mixed to their own individual tastes. It is safer to
drink what the racer is used to instead of risking getting something that
might not be optimum for their needs.

Scott

Old March 4th 04, 04:26 PM
Bob Maswick

Gene Goldenfeld wrote in message
No camalback, please.

Mike Wynn uses a camelbak (Snowbowl, 50oz) and says he wouldn't go
without it.
Well... for the amount of liquid that I need for average 20K-35K race

All -

I can understand someone's aversion to using a Camelback style drink
pack, but going 20 - 35K without a steady way to re-hydrate? There
are way too many studies out there that demonstrate a significant
performance decrease after just 10 minutes without rehydration to risk
this. I've skiied w/ Mike and his pack; I use an older Ultimate
Direction Shadow (fanny-pack style) -
http://ultimatedirection.com/shadow.html - filled for whatever
length race I'm doing. I position the bite valve so I just turn my
head and grab it w/ my mouth.

Isn't it interesting that we will all spend megabucks on skis,
grinding, prep and wax but skimp on the simple things like nutrition
and hydration? I know 'cause I don't always follow my own advice!

- Bob