ski death after man hits tree at Burke Mt.

Old March 3rd 05, 12:51 PM

Default ski death after man hits tree at Burke Mt.

Milford man dies in skiing accident

By Telegraph Staff

Published: Wednesday, Mar. 2, 2005

A Milford man was killed Monday in a skiing accident in northeast
Vermont, according to police.

Nathaniel Keith, 24, was skiing on the East Bowl trail at Burke
Mountain Ski Area when he hit a tree, according to Vermont State
Police.

Keith was pronounced dead at the scene.

No one saw the late-afternoon accident, Burke Mountain general manager
Dick Andross told the Caledonian-Record newspaper.

The ski patrol and Lyndon Rescue Ambulance Service responded to the
scene, according to Andross.

Vermont State Police Sgt. Fred Cornell could not provide any details
about how Keith was found, citing an ongoing criminal investigation. A
criminal investigation is a routine procedure after an unattended
death, he said.

Detective Sgt. Tim Clouatre is heading the investigation, Cornell said.

The death is the fourth on Vermont slopes this year.

New Hampshire has suffered one fatal skiing accident this season.

Former Wilton legislator Hal Melcher fell on a narrow cross trail at
Crotched Mountain Ski Area on Feb. 19. Melcher, 83, died two days
later.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:02 PM
Schmoe

AH wrote:
Was he wearing a helmet?

Why? Will it bring him back? A helmet will not stop your neck from breaking
upon impact.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:16 PM
TexasSkiNut

Schmoe wrote:
AH wrote:
Was he wearing a helmet?

Why? Will it bring him back? A helmet will not stop your neck
from breaking upon impact.

Ever since Bono & Kennedy hit their trees, news articles almost always
mention whether or not the victim was wearing a helmet. How relevant
it is to the story depends on your point of view.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:41 PM
Sam Seiber

TexasSkiNut wrote:
Ever since Bono & Kennedy hit their trees, news articles almost always
mention whether or not the victim was wearing a helmet. How relevant
it is to the story depends on your point of view.

And to follow on with my pet peeve... Here in Colorado there is
always mention of the helmet. What I really want to know after
reading about the helmet is "would it have helped"? When I think
of the worse thing I could do to myself on the slopes, I think
of wrapping myself around a tree. I fail to see how a helmet is
going to be of ANY help there. I don't see how a helmet is
going to protect my vital organs within my torso.

Related to the article, what happens that causes skiers (or boarders)
to hit trees resulting in death? Are people going way too fast
on the very edge of the trail and either catch an edge, or
hit a patch of ice, and into the tree they go?

Sam "Is it ever going to snow in centeral Colorado again?" Seiber
Old March 3rd 05, 05:48 PM
Chester Bullock

Sam Seiber wrote:

Related to the article, what happens that causes skiers (or boarders)
to hit trees resulting in death? Are people going way too fast
on the very edge of the trail and either catch an edge, or
hit a patch of ice, and into the tree they go?

Depends on if they are skiing at Keystone or not. If Keystone, then ice
is the likely culprit, or so I am inclined to believe.

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247
Old March 3rd 05, 06:03 PM
Sam Seiber

Chester Bullock wrote:
Depends on if they are skiing at Keystone or not. If Keystone, then ice
is the likely culprit, or so I am inclined to believe.

Yeppers. Everytime I hear of someone hitting a tree at the Ice Palace
(Keystone),
I think the same thing. Now if someone can 'splain how it happens
elsewhere,
that would be nice.

Sam "Dodgin' the trees" Seiber
Old March 3rd 05, 08:53 PM
The Real Bev

Schmoe wrote:

AH wrote:
Was he wearing a helmet?

Why? Will it bring him back? A helmet will not stop your neck from breaking
upon impact.

If it's too heavy or the wrong shape/size it may even facilitate the
break.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 3rd 05, 08:54 PM
TexasSkiNut

Sam Seiber wrote:
Related to the article, what happens that causes skiers (or boarders)
to hit trees resulting in death? Are people going way too fast
on the very edge of the trail and either catch an edge, or
hit a patch of ice, and into the tree they go?

Most tree-related deaths I've heard of involve skiers losing control
and hitting a tree. Ice is sometimes mentioned as a contributing
factor, but bottom line is failure to control speed and/or skis.
Occasionally it happens to an expert, like at Sun Valley in 1997 when a
local racer supposedly caught an edge while free-skiing. It was near
the bottom of Lower Greyhawk where the trail goes through the trees
back to the lift. I was there the week after and everybody was still
pretty shook up about it.

I had heard that in Bono's case, he may have been trying to shoot
through a shallow tree well and lost it. Helmet wouldn't have helped
his neck.

Old March 3rd 05, 09:44 PM
bdubya

On 3 Mar 2005 07:16:32 -0800, "TexasSkiNut"
wrote:

Schmoe wrote:
AH wrote:
Was he wearing a helmet?

Why? Will it bring him back? A helmet will not stop your neck
from breaking upon impact.

Ever since Bono & Kennedy hit their trees, news articles almost always
mention whether or not the victim was wearing a helmet. How relevant
it is to the story depends on your point of view.

Or on the injury. Skull fracture, it might be; abdominal impalement,
probably not. (Depending on what the impaling object was...)

bw