Ski boot issues

Old December 1st 04, 01:31 AM
sheriff6789 sheriff6789 is offline
Junior Member

Default Ski boot issues

Hi everyone, first post here!

I was wondering if anyone here could solve a dilemma I am having with some new ski boots I bought.

Two days ago I bought some Salomon Performa 8.0's from a local ski shop here in Seattle. I wore them for about a half hour in the store and had them 'custom fitted' with the heated-liner thing. However, after wearing them for 2 or so hours at home I am finding that my entire pinky toe and everything on the very outside of both of my feet are throbbing lightly, are red, and hurting substantially.

My question is: Do you think the liners will "pack out" as far as width is concerned over time and can I modify the liner somehow to accomidate my wide foot better? Also: Will the 'canting' feature on these boots solve this problem?

Any help or tips at all would be very helpful,
-Zach
Old December 1st 04, 02:31 AM
Dick Gozinya

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 01:31:33 +0000, sheriff6789
wrote:

Hi everyone, first post here!

I was wondering if anyone here could solve a dilemma I am having with
some new ski boots I bought.

Two days ago I bought some Salomon Performa 8.0's from a local ski shop
here in Seattle. I wore them for about a half hour in the store and had
them 'custom fitted' with the heated-liner thing. However, after
wearing them for 2 or so hours at home I am finding that my entire
pinky toe and everything on the very outside of both of my feet are
throbbing lightly, are red, and hurting substantially.

My question is: Do you think the liners will "pack out" as far as width
is concerned over time and can I modify the liner somehow to accomidate
my wide foot better? Also: Will the 'canting' feature on these boots
solve this problem?

Any help or tips at all would be very helpful,
-Zach

it right

"I think that gay marriage should be between a man and a woman." -Arnold Schwarzenegger, during the California recall campaign
Old December 1st 04, 03:23 AM
foot2foot

"sheriff6789" wrote in message

Hi everyone, first post here!

I was wondering if anyone here could solve a dilemma I am having with
some new ski boots I bought.

Two days ago I bought some Salomon Performa 8.0's from a local ski shop
here in Seattle. I wore them for about a half hour in the store and had
them 'custom fitted' with the heated-liner thing. However, after
wearing them for 2 or so hours at home I am finding that my entire
pinky toe and everything on the very outside of both of my feet are
throbbing lightly, are red, and hurting substantially.

My question is: Do you think the liners will "pack out" as far as width
is concerned over time and can I modify the liner somehow to accomidate
my wide foot better? Also: Will the 'canting' feature on these boots
solve this problem?

No, the whole boot is too narrow for your foot. Why waste your
time screwing with it? Get something wider, or go longer, which
will automatically be wider.

Do note:

For instance, 25.0 and 25.5 are actually the same size boot with a
different size liner. 25.0 and 26.0 are actually different size boots.
Whatever, if a boot fit is that bad width wise, make a change to
another boot. Only fairly minor problems like hot spots, etc. can
be cured.

Old December 1st 04, 05:18 AM
sheriff6789 sheriff6789 is offline
Junior Member

The thing is, I measure out to be a 24.5 and I bought a 25.0 because of my wide foot, so that is another shell size up from what I should be. Going any longer would give me too much room. The store has a "best fit guarantee." Not sure exactly what that means as far as replacement/repairs go, but I'll head back there tomorrow and see what they can do.
Old December 1st 04, 05:19 AM
Wayne Decker

"Canting" would not solve this. Adjusting the cant will not make the boot
wider--I understand that it will angle the boot further forward or back in
order to improve your balance. If you need this adjusted (most people
don't) you have to go in and stand on a balance table so the tech can study
your balance and adjust the cant of the boot.

If they felt fine in the store--but are now too tight, double check to make
sure the toung of the liner is seated correctly and don't buckle the instep
buckle too tight. There is a vein that runs across the top of the foot. If
you buckle to instep buckle too tight the boot can cut off the circulation
in that vein. A lot of cold toes and other foot complaints are caused by
this. (cold toes are also a symptom of inadiquate head insulation.)

Are you wearing the same socks? It seems counterintuitive but socks in ski
boots should be the thinest you can find. If the socks are too thick you
create additional pressure on you foot and defeat the insulation of the
inner boot. DO NOT use snowboard socks in ski boots. They were not
designed for them.

Something else to consider--besides just trading in the boot: Most boots
have an interior adjustable "foot plate" or "floor" You might try having
the tech lower the this plate to give your foot just the added space it
needs to keep it from rubbing against the top of the boot.

I also recommed othotics. I had mine made at Sure Foot here in Mammoth
several years ago and I beat myself up regularly for not doing it sooner!
Total control. And I can stand in my boots all day without my feet getting
tired. (In fact, I'd

--
I ski, therefore I am

Old December 1st 04, 06:34 AM
foot2foot

"sheriff6789" wrote in message

The thing is, I measure out to be a 24.5 and I bought a 25.0 because of
my wide foot, so that is another shell size up from what I should be.
Going any longer would give me too much room. The store has a "best fit
guarantee." Not sure exactly what that means as far as
replacement/repairs go, but I'll head back there tomorrow and see what
they can do.

--
sheriff6789

You haven't skied on the boots, they should allow a full refund.
You probably need to be in a wider boot like Tecnica or Dalbello,
maybe some Nordicas.

If they go screwing around with them too much, they might not
be as anxious to take them back. As Wayne mentioned, use the
thinnest sock possible, buy a pair of super thinsy ski socks if you
need to.

Old December 1st 04, 05:01 PM
lal_truckee

sheriff6789 wrote:
The thing is, I measure out to be a 24.5 and I bought a 25.0 because of
my wide foot, so that is another shell size up from what I should be.
Going any longer would give me too much room. The store has a "best fit
guarantee." Not sure exactly what that means as far as
replacement/repairs go, but I'll head back there tomorrow and see what
they can do.

Sounds like they are the wrong boots for you; First, you never go up in
measured size if the boot is too tight; you go to a different boot with
a better fitting shell FOR YOUR FOOT shape. (Some avid skiers might go
down in size, for performance sacrificing comfort.) Good ski shops have
an adequate line of different boot models to fit different feet; some
stores accept what the distributor offers them and forces a customer's
foot into what they carry. If these guys make it right by putting you
into a properly fitting boot model, maybe they are OK; if they argue
that they can make a too long, too narrow boot shell fit your feet and
refuse to refund your money, run like hell, build a bonfire with the
boots, and chalk it up to experience - use a real ski shop next time.
Old December 1st 04, 06:24 PM
foot2foot

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
sheriff6789 wrote:
[...]

Or, sue them in small claims. That'll teach em. Don't take no
guff from these people. A court will give you the refund and
your ten bucks if they've sold you boots that don't fit, don't
have any that do, and won't give you a refund when you've
never used the boots, or otherwise damaged them.