RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

Old October 26th 03, 09:41 AM
Paul Rooney

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:32:54 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

"Ali Hopkins" wrote in message

"PG" wrote in message

More sound and reasoned argument for the setting up of a ng from the
allegedly knowledgeable at unnc.

If you'd avoid the ad hominem posts, you might get a better reaction.

Given that unnc members have contributed the vast majority so far,

that's
pretty rich.

I have attacked no-one. Nor do I intend to start. I have stated my voting
intention.

Nor did I suggest you had.

I would be interested to know just what motive you have for voting in
favour, other than doing so because of a comment from a rsre contributor
about uncc members, given that we effectively have:

Identical target source of membership for both English-language groups,
Identical aims (in practice),
Identical potential discussion topics.

Do you ski? Have you ever contributed to a skiing forum? Have you analysed
the rsre archives to check the likes of the above information? Have you
checked the traffic levels for rsre, during and inter-season? Or are you
simply voting because, as you say, someone's "remark ensures a few yes
votes. Including mine."

If so, don't take this personally, but that's pretty flimsy argumentation.

Pete

Pete

Is it your intention to maximise the Yes vote?

--
Paul
My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

Please sponsor me for the London Marathon at:
http://www.justgiving.com/london2004
Old October 26th 03, 09:45 AM
PG

wrote:

Is it your intention to maximise the Yes vote?

My intentions are honest, aimed at achieving the best scenario for skiing
discussion possible. And yours?
Pete

Old October 26th 03, 09:50 AM
Paul Rooney

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:45:44 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

My intentions are honest, aimed at achieving the best scenario for skiing
discussion possible. And yours?
Pete

Not yet formed, but if I wanted a No vote I wouldn't be goading people
to vote Yes.

Old October 26th 03, 10:02 AM
PG

wrote:

My intentions are honest, aimed at achieving the best scenario for skiing
discussion possible. And yours?

Not yet formed, but if I wanted a No vote I wouldn't be goading people
to vote Yes.

I tend to hope that people will base their vote on impartial weighing up of
evidence presented, but given your ad hominem comments above, perhaps that
is not the case.
Pete

Old October 26th 03, 10:13 AM
Paul Rooney

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:02:13 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

I tend to hope that people will base their vote on impartial weighing up of
evidence presented

Human nature being what it is, if you go around annoying people then
they will react accordingly.

Old October 26th 03, 10:40 AM
PG

wrote:

I tend to hope that people will base their vote on impartial weighing up

of
evidence presented

Human nature being what it is, if you go around annoying people then
they will react accordingly.

Well on that note of hope, I'm going skiing. (If you want any updates on the
conditions at Tignes this afternoon, check in with rsre later ;o)

Pete

Old October 26th 03, 10:41 AM
Ali Hopkins

"PG" wrote in message

snipped for bandwidth

I do not intend to enter debate concerning the background to my voting
intentions.

Ali

Old October 26th 03, 10:44 AM
Neil Ellwood

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:32:54 +0100, PG wrote:

I would be interested to know just what motive you have for voting in
favour, other than doing so because of a comment from a rsre contributor
about uncc members, given that we effectively have:

This is the voters own business and noone elses.

Identical target source of membership for both English-language groups,
Identical aims (in practice),
Identical potential discussion topics.

Do you ski? Have you ever contributed to a skiing forum? Have you analysed
the rsre archives to check the likes of the above information? Have you
checked the traffic levels for rsre, during and inter-season? Or are you
simply voting because, as you say, someone's "remark ensures a few yes
votes. Including mine."

This is of no relevance, the proposal is for a uk group. Traffic levels in
another group do not concern any uk group. His reason for voting concerns
him ONLY.

If so, don't take this personally, but that's pretty flimsy argumentation.

How can he take it as anything but personally as it is addressed to him.
--
Neil
My address is Spamless.
Old October 26th 03, 11:18 AM
Ali Hopkins

"Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
newsan.2003.10.26.10.44.55.323061@btinterSpamles snet.com...
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:32:54 +0100, PG wrote:

I would be interested to know just what motive you have for voting in
favour, other than doing so because of a comment from a rsre contributor
about uncc members, given that we effectively have:

This is the voters own business and noone elses.

Precisely.

[...]

Her, actually. g However, as to the rest of your post, you have summed up
very accurately why I do not propose to debate my reasons; and yes, I do
take PG's post personally, and do not care for its pejorative and
aggressive interrogation.

Ali

Old October 26th 03, 11:39 AM
Colin Irvine

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:58:15 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

snip
There is enough traffic for one group. It is doubtful
whether there will be enough traffic to keep two groups active, and it
is possible that spreading it across two groups will lead to both
becoming unused.

Can I just say that I think that is absolute crap. What if there is only
enough traffic for one group? We'll all want to post somewhere - sooner
or later it'll sort itself out. Stop trying to make the world behave the
way you want it to.

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.