Controlling Speed Down the Fall Line

Old January 22nd 04, 09:21 PM
Frank Wiles

Thanks for the info. Looking into "jump turns."

Cheers

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
John Red-Horse wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Used to be a standard clinic excercise: find moderately steep slope,
start at top with skis accross the fall-line, chest down the fall-line;
and make as many jump turns as you can in the available distance,
without changing chest direction.

As the terrain gets tricker, I guess one is ready to graduate to:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/article.../pedal_hop.htm

I just had a thought - can pinnas pedal-hop? Or does the loose heal
allow the skis to tangle in such a manuver? I don't believe I've ever
seen one attempt a p-h, but that says nothing - seeing anyone attempt a
p-h is pretty rare.

Old January 23rd 04, 05:32 PM
John Smith

I want to thank everyone who contributed something constructive to this
thread regarding my original question about controlling speed down the
fall line.

I feel that my skiing was much more intelligent after taking all your
ideas and suggestions with me to the slopes. Lots of room to grow, but
my confidence and performance were way up (at least in my opinion)!

I also want to thank everyone who contributed nothing to this thread
relating to my original question, but kept it amusing with the
inevitable irreverent humor.

Last question: What's a pinna and what's an ATer?

Pray for snow!

JS

Old January 23rd 04, 06:38 PM
lal_truckee

John Smith wrote:
I want to thank everyone who contributed something constructive to this
thread regarding my original question about controlling speed down the
fall line.

I feel that my skiing was much more intelligent after taking all your
ideas and suggestions with me to the slopes. Lots of room to grow, but
my confidence and performance were way up (at least in my opinion)!

I also want to thank everyone who contributed nothing to this thread
relating to my original question, but kept it amusing with the
inevitable irreverent humor.

Last question: What's a pinna and what's an ATer?

pinna a backcountry skier using telemark bindings (after the three
pins in the early bindings)
ATer a backcountry skier using All Terrain AKA Randonnee bindings that
lock heel for descent, release heel for climbing back up.

As everyone knows, pinnas are the scum of the earth, randos are the salt
of the earth. Or is it the other way round?

Old January 23rd 04, 08:21 PM
Richard Walsh

lal_truckee wrote in
:

John Smith wrote:

(snip)
Last question: What's a pinna and what's an ATer?

pinna a backcountry skier using telemark bindings (after the three
pins in the early bindings)
ATer a backcountry skier using All Terrain AKA Randonnee bindings that
lock heel for descent, release heel for climbing back up.

As everyone knows, pinnas are the scum of the earth, randos are the salt
of the earth. Or is it the other way round?

I believe, while "All Terrain" fits the acronym "AT" perfectly,
that it really stands for "Alpine Touring".

While I'm not a pinna, I find the following humorous...

Randonee: French for "can't tele".

RW