Marcialonga in MN?

Old January 6th 05, 08:16 AM
Lars

Default Marcialonga in MN?

Marcialonga didn't seem flat to me. The profile indicates quite a bit
of
climbing in the first 20 km or so. It sure seemed it to me on that

weird
glide-robbing man made snow.

I think that Vasaloppet is significantly flatter with less over all
elevation gain.

Gary Gary Gary ... no :-)
ML is a flatter and easier double pole race than vasa. I did both last
year.
ML has some sligt angle up to 18km, but still alot of flat there.
After 18km (Canazei) the track follow a valley river so it's very flat
and down. Only a noticeable climb at Moena. Look at Jannes MPGs.
Vasa is flat for many miles but many irritating up and down between
Risberg-Evertsberg, and then around Oxberg and Høkberg. I surely
needed grip at many places.

More important Gary, make 2006 your "next time doing classic ML" or
what :-)
Old January 7th 05, 05:26 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Lars wrote:

Regarding little kick wax and Jannes Vasa videos. The elite
doublepoled up many small hills that us others had to stride up. So
the track is more up and down than the video shows from bird view. The

I'm vaguely familiar with the course. I skied the oppet spar once in
1996 with my wife. It was roughly 0 C, plus or minus, for much of the day
and kick was good sometimes, non-existent other times. We stopped a few
times to adjust wax but that got old after a while. At one point we said
the heck with it and DP'd for about 20 km until the kick came back again.

My impression was that other than the one big hill at the start, it would
not be too tough to DP the whole rest of the course. Which reminds me of,
who, Staffan Larsen(?), who tried to do DP the whole thing some time ago,
when he had a leg injury. He was well ahead of the lead pack most of the
way, too.

elite did also have very little grip during the last 30km or so. When
Aukland strides up a small hill in the end he "walks on his arms" with
very little grip.

This is what's puzzling me. Walking on arms is really difficult without
decent grep. Wouldn't it be easier to not even try, leave the kick wax out
entirely, and just DP the ups?

Marcialonga is so much flatter than Vasa some racers use very little
grip. ML is not only flat it's slightly downhill...

I gotta try that one some day. I'm a DP addict. :-)

-Mitch

Marcialonga in MN? Lars Nordic Skiing 4 January 6th 05 04:16 AM
Marcialonga in MN? Lars Nordic Skiing 2 January 4th 05 06:08 PM
MARCIALONGA! Gary Jacobson Nordic Skiing 10 January 28th 04 05:38 AM
Marcialonga Result Davide Tosi Nordic Skiing 1 January 25th 04 09:37 PM
Marcialonga Sunday 25 January taywood Nordic Skiing 0 January 22nd 04 10:52 PM