What (Fischer) 902 and 812 Means

Old January 14th 05, 01:49 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default What (Fischer) 902 and 812 Means

Probably nothing.

I wrote to Zach Caldwell asking him about this as I have a pair of 902 skis.
I asked him if it'd be ok to forward this to the NG.

Here's his answer.

Hi Gary -
"902" and "812" are Fischer mold numbers. They represent a design concept.
The
molds can be further set for different characteristics, so the mold numbers
don't represent any real absolutes in terms of ski characteristics. The
numbers
themselves are meaningless as far as I know. Probably a bit like my grind
designations - they mean something to somebody, but aren't set-up to have
any
specific significance. Other mold numbers are "V3" (skatecut) and "610" (new
straight skate ski). There are more - Fischer is always working on new
designs
which get tested on the World Cup if they appear promising. The 902 is a
really
good example of the R&D process at work. The concept has been in existence
for
an number of years. Two seasons ago they seem to have really nailed the
settings, and since then the ski has seen a ton of World Cup use. Now
they're
about to introduce it to the public.

Zach

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old January 14th 05, 02:46 AM
Andrew Lee

"Gary Jacobson" wrote:

I wrote to Zach Caldwell asking him about this as I have a pair of 902
skis.
I asked him if it'd be ok to forward this to the NG.

Is that a classic or skate ski?

Old January 14th 05, 10:35 PM
PBo

the 902 was the first 812 camber ski i got back in the day (99-2000).
when you squeeze the camber together you can see the tips really splay
out (the most visible charateristic of the 902). makes them decent
wet-snow skis...no tip pressure to create suction. -phil