Horvath OK?

Old July 19th 11, 04:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Horvath OK?

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:35:11 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

Perhaps they were knocked out. *It's also hard to believe that the
boat sunk. *When mine is sealed up, it can't sink. *But some of those
racing boats have minimal area below and are not water tight.

The rest of the story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3611815.story

Head trauma caused the deaths, the boat didn't sink, and they had
their sails down when the squall struck.

That explains it all. Those kids were fortunate, they knew what to
do.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old July 21st 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 7/19/2011 12:55 PM, wrote:

The rest of the story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3611815.story

Head trauma caused the deaths, the boat didn't sink, and they had
their sails down when the squall struck.

That explains it all. Those kids were fortunate, they knew what to
do.

More details at:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...entry 3337472

Short version: it was one hell of a storm.

//Walt
Old July 21st 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:13:16 -0400, Walt wrote
this crap:

On 7/19/2011 12:55 PM, wrote:

The rest of the story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3611815.story

Head trauma caused the deaths, the boat didn't sink, and they had
their sails down when the squall struck.

That explains it all. Those kids were fortunate, they knew what to
do.

More details at:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...entry 3337472

Short version: it was one hell of a storm.

I've been in worse.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old July 21st 11, 06:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jul 21, 11:10*am, comadrejo wrote:
In article ,

*Walt wrote:
On 7/19/2011 12:55 PM, wrote:

The rest of the story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ailboat-capsiz....
rom-mackinac-race-missing-20110718,0,3611815.story

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...4348&st=225&p=...
entry3337472

Short version: it was one hell of a storm.

//Walt

* No, it wasn't a "hell of a storm", and given it was on a lake, even if
it is one of the largest fresh water bodies of water in the world, it is
still a lake, not an ocean. *Second if it was a "hell of a storm" there
would had been other boats in trouble, taking on lots of water, or
capsizing. *Ditto that most survivors were rescued in 15 minutes or
less, kind of hints that it wasn't a "hell of a storm".

* Sailing has its serious risks, but sailing on a lake is a bit
different than sailing on the open ocean, especially in a place like the
Gulf of Alaska or the roaring forties/screaming fifties in the Southern
Latitude. *Those places get "hell of a storm"..

* I am sorry for what happened, but it sounds like a combo of the squall
and bad or lazy sailing from the boat skipper. *It doesn't sound like
mother nature is entirely to blame for this accident.

Since he had his sails down in anticipation of the squall, I am
wondering if he had any way to steer the boat. Is using the motor
allowed in Great Lakes races in situations like this?
Old July 21st 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

Since he had his sails down in anticipation of the squall, I am
wondering if he had any way to steer the boat. Is using the motor
allowed in Great Lakes races in situations like this?

Absolutely NOT. You are allowed to have your motor running to charge
your batteries but if you put it in gear you have forfeited the race.
In this situation a storm jib would be hoisted to give you enough
movement for steerage.

I still find it difficult to believe that the boat overturned. I have
12,000 lbs of lead in my keel. If the wind knocked me over, the boat
would immediately right itself. Racing boats have keels that go down
seven feet or more. I can't picture the keel sticking up out of the
water.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old July 21st 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:10:38 -0700, comadrejo
wrote this crap:

In article ,
Walt wrote:

On 7/19/2011 12:55 PM, wrote:

The rest of the story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...t-capsizes-2-f

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...25&p=3337472&#
entry3337472

Short version: it was one hell of a storm.

//Walt

No, it wasn't a "hell of a storm", and given it was on a lake, even if
it is one of the largest fresh water bodies of water in the world, it is
still a lake, not an ocean.

How does that change the storm?

Second if it was a "hell of a storm" there
would had been other boats in trouble, taking on lots of water, or
capsizing.

There was. Didn't you see the video?

Ditto that most survivors were rescued in 15 minutes or
less, kind of hints that it wasn't a "hell of a storm".

Sailing has its serious risks, but sailing on a lake is a bit
different than sailing on the open ocean,

Not really. The biggest difference is that we don't have to wash all
the salt off our gear after every sail.

especially in a place like the
Gulf of Alaska or the roaring forties/screaming fifties in the Southern
Latitude. Those places get "hell of a storm"..

Oh, I guess we don't get real storms in the Great Lakes. I've been in
races where people died, and in one race I watched four boats go
under.

I am sorry for what happened, but it sounds like a combo of the squall
and bad or lazy sailing from the boat skipper. It doesn't sound like
mother nature is entirely to blame for this accident.

That's your opinion.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.

Old July 21st 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 7/21/2011 2:10 PM, comadrejo wrote: crap snipped

Walt wrote:

Short version: it was one hell of a storm.

No, it wasn't a "hell of a storm", and given it was on a lake...

You obviously know nothing about the history of storms and shipwrecks on
the Great Lakes.

//Walt
Old July 21st 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:06:10 -0400, Walt wrote
this crap:

Walt wrote:

Short version: it was one hell of a storm.

No, it wasn't a "hell of a storm", and given it was on a lake...

You obviously know nothing about the history of storms and shipwrecks on
the Great Lakes.

//Walt

Tis the truth, matey. I once watched the Thunderbird strike Skeleton
Reef in a storm and go down with all hands...twice!

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.

Horvath... ant[_12_] Alpine Skiing 3 December 30th 07 09:29 PM
Where's Horvath? Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 1 January 10th 06 05:00 PM
I named him Horvath... AstroPax Alpine Skiing 4 July 28th 04 07:42 PM
OK, Horvath.... Dave Stallard Alpine Skiing 12 March 29th 04 01:25 PM
What Hamster's Do In Horvath scottabe Alpine Skiing 7 January 28th 04 04:00 PM