Daehlie and the Famous 1994 Winter Olympics Relay

Old February 24th 09, 12:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

Default Daehlie and the Famous 1994 Winter Olympics Relay

Seeing the pics of Daehlie skiing the Birkie brought back memories of
my favorite Winter Olympics and race in Norway in 1994. I did some
searches of other stand out athletes from those same games for example
Manuela
DiCenta. One thing lead to another and my searches showed DiCenta's
ties with Conconi the Italian Doctor who introduced the cycling world
to EPO. Eventually I came to a shopping list of athletes who were
clients of Conconi. My heart sank when I saw the entire Men's Italian
Olympic Relay Team from 1994 as being clients of Conconi's. Also part
of the list included Bjarne Riis (admitted winning The Tour this year
with EPO), Stephen Roche (winner of The Tour), and may other
cyclists.I know we have hammered the doping issue at RSN in the past,
but I've never seen such info layed out before. Perhaps Daehlie is
owned that Relay Gold along with Stureson, Ulvang, and Alsgard.
Finally the article I found said Stephania Belmondo would not
acknowlege DiCenta's congratulations in Salt Lake when she won the
Gold. It was suggested Belmondo was disgusted with DiCenta's past
cheating to reach success. For some reason I couldn't copy and paste
the Wikpedia article on Conconi. If you're interested just do a search
for Conconi Wikpedia and scroll down for the Clients List link.
Old February 24th 09, 12:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 05:10:56 -0800 (PST), ADK Skier
wrote:

[...]

Two things. One is that Conconi, beyond doping, was pretty smart guy
on training. He popularized finding anaerobic threshold via a field
test. This is really useful in training and (especially for cyclists
and runners) can be done easily and often to set training zones.

Second, this:

http://www.johnnyklister.com/post/79...he-birkie-back