Fallback Options

Old November 30th 05, 01:25 AM

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

I agree that Iraq wasn't an immediate threat or that the 45 minute
claim was ever a reality, but everyone "knew" they had WMDs at the
time.

No one "knew", but a lot of us were bloody sure there were no WMD
and argued the point strenuously, which was not a popular move.

Got any quotes on when you (or anyone else here for that matter)
argued this pre-war ?

I seem to remember being one of the few who did.

Quotes please.

So now you're only counting it if said people argued about WMDS here, on
rec.skiing.alpine? Otherwise it wouldn't count, right? It wouldn't
have been meaningful, right?

Sheesh.

Old November 30th 05, 02:28 AM

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:

Yikes! You were a McClannacanahanagain?

Of course not. We were far too poor to be a McClannacanahanagain,
whatever in the world that may be.

I'm sorry.. It's just that one of the fondest memories I have of the
old days is the McClannacanahanagain sisters and those useless
non-opposable cod-liver-smelling digits hanging limply off their
palms. Makes my ears twitch just thinking about it. Those
McClannacanahanagain sisters.

Oh, right. The McClannacanahanagain sisters. Twins as I recall.
Thought they were better than us because they lived in a hole in the
ground with a rabid badger while all we had was a cardboard sign that
said "HOLE" and a coupon to be spat upon by an elderly llama should we
ever make it to the Peoria petting zoo (which, of course, we never did).

Yeah, I remember those stuck-up hole-dwelling badger-loving
holier-than-thou codfish-liver-smelling girls. Thanks for reminding me.

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Photographs?
Is she into photooooooo...graphs? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Ehhh
squire, photooooooo...graphs. Ughhhhhhhh Know what I mean? Nudge
nudge, wink, wink.

Eh, I think you've got one too many eels in your hovercraft, pal.

--
// Walt
//

Old November 30th 05, 09:25 AM

The Real Bev wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

Mine is arthritis from presumably bashing my toe on a rock, which then
somehow allowed the stuff between the bones to disintegrate, which then
allowed the bones to rub up against one another and which definitely
limits the range of movement before I scream and fall over from the
pain. Nobody ever mentioned why it HURTS, though. What happens to the
nerves? Can't hurt without nerves...

I expect my crunches will become painful eventually.

No, this is a displaced or torn cartilage following a bout of digging
in hard compacted soil where I was having to jump up and down on the
spade and then twist and lift. There are lumps in my right knee that
are absent in my left ! Massaging them and connected tendons and
muscles has an immediate effect as has stretching my
quads/hamstrings/calf.

You're lucky to find something that helps. Surgery wouldn't work?

DOn't know yet - appointment next week.

Old November 30th 05, 09:40 AM

tm wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

Dunno, but I am getting a bit worried about the tomato plants that are
sprouting in my crotch.

Note to self- Avoid the salsa.

The tofu's pretty good.
Old November 30th 05, 09:43 AM

Mary Malmros wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

I agree that Iraq wasn't an immediate threat or that the 45 minute
claim was ever a reality, but everyone "knew" they had WMDs at the
time.

No one "knew", but a lot of us were bloody sure there were no WMD
and argued the point strenuously, which was not a popular move.

Got any quotes on when you (or anyone else here for that matter)
argued this pre-war ?

I seem to remember being one of the few who did.

Quotes please.

So now you're only counting it if said people argued about WMDS here, on
rec.skiing.alpine? Otherwise it wouldn't count, right? It wouldn't
have been meaningful, right?

Any public quote by anyone will do. I asked Ant because I well remember
her arguing it and getting upset at the time, so genuinely wanted to
know if she'd said it BEFORE the war.

Sheesh.

Sheesh yourself. Why are you guys getting so angry - can't find any
quotes to prove me wrong ?

Old November 30th 05, 09:49 AM

ant wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

I agree that Iraq wasn't an immediate threat or that the 45 minute
claim was ever a reality, but everyone "knew" they had WMDs at the
time.

No one "knew", but a lot of us were bloody sure there were no WMD
and argued the point strenuously, which was not a popular move.

Got any quotes on when you (or anyone else here for that matter)
argued this pre-war ?

I seem to remember being one of the few who did.

Quotes please.

So you are saying I'm lying?

Not at all. If there are quotes out there then post them and prove me wrong.

I am not saying you weren't against the war - many others were against
it too. What I am saying is that there were very few claims that Iraq
had WMDs BEFORE the war started. If you did so, good for you, but I
don't remember it.

What I do remember is that you were very rude about Americans (apart
from your views on the war) and that some people thought that your
stance didn't fit well with your going over there to work. That's what I
think ****ed people off, not what your anti-war stance which many of
them shared.

I am not going to trawl though groups from years ago. I find your demands
pretty amazing, not to mention offensive.

Who does this sound like ?

Some people can admit they were wrong and live with it, without having to
get angry at people who have been proven right.

I'm not angry at all, that seems to be your department. I admit that the
war has been a terrible mistake in hindsight. What I am arguing is
whether we were deliberately lied to about WMDs beforehand, and I can't
get anyone to supply me with quotes of anyone who actually said there
were no WMDs beforehand. Please help.

Walt posted something which Astro and I responded to and there has been
no response back from Walt or klaus or anyone else. Have I finally won
an argument on usenet ?

I wish they would continue the discussion - I may still end up
disagreeing but at least Walt and klaus argue well and we all might
learn something.

Old November 30th 05, 11:54 AM

BrritSki wrote:

Sheesh yourself. Why are you guys getting so angry - can't find any
quotes to prove me wrong ?

yawn

Right or wrong, we're in a war with Iraq right now. If you are arguing
to punish some wrongdoing by Bush or his administration, then by all
means look to whether or not they lied about the WMDs. If, however,
you're arguing about what should be done about the war as it is right
now, let's stop the bull**** and focus on the solution.

Right or wrong, we're in it.

JP
******************
Active apathy.

Old November 30th 05, 02:01 PM

BrritSki wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

[...]

There are plenty of quotes to prove you wrong, Brrt, but honestly, it
doesn't look like there's any point in providing you with any of them.
Why? Because you're doing a classic Bush-administration bull**** denial
move here, and no matter how many times someone jumps through your
hoops, you'll just move the goalposts once more in an effort to continue
denying that you're wrong. "Nobody said that, it never happened. Oh,
it did? Well, prove it! Go find a quote! Oh, there's a quote? Well,
nobody said that in a newspaper! Oh, there's a newspaper quote? Well,
nobody said that in a _major_ newspaper! Oh, there's a quote from the
New York Times? Well, nobody _important_ said that in a _major_
newspaper that's not owned by the liberal media conspiracy!" Et cetera.

Why don't you come clean here, and show a little intellectual honesty?
You said above, "[E]veryone 'knew' they had WMDs at the time." That's
simply not true, and there were plenty of people saying so at the time,
from Hans Blix and Mohammad ElBarradei down to yours truly, in a variety
of forums. You may have been on a mental vacation at the time, or your
ears may have been closed, or you may have been one of the bullies
screaming, "Aw shuddup you pansies!" Any of those things would furnish
a reason for your current state of denial -- but none of them
constitutes an excuse.

Old November 30th 05, 03:11 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

[...]

There's only been one quote provided so far. That was Blix' statement of
Feb 2003 to the Security Council. In it he did NOT say there were no
WMDs, only that he didn't find any which is an entirely different thing.

I have not moved any goalposts or shifted my ground in any way. On the
contrary, I started out asking Ant to quote from her posts here and I've
now widened it. Let me repeat - show me 1 quote from anyone, anywhere
and I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

If they're so prevalent, what's the problem ?
Old November 30th 05, 03:28 PM

BrritSki wrote:
Let me repeat - show me 1 quote from anyone, anywhere
and I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Are you auditioning for laziest person on the internet, or what?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J25B22E3C

//Walt