"Climate changes melting tourism in Swiss Alps"

Old March 16th 06, 01:44 AM

Richard Henry wrote:

Being an electrical engineer, I want to know if electrons will become
positive.

I've never had anything but positive experiances with
electrons. They're just a bit glommy for my taste.

-klaus

Old March 20th 06, 05:27 AM

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message news:wOHRf.4222$Vb.248@trndny02...

Bob wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message news:BKqRf.1607

OK, smartass, will east and west switch too? Does it rotate or flip?

Well, your existing compass can't flip, because it's made the way it is.
If I understand right, while the north end of the needle now points to
Ellesmere Island, now the south end will. But you know what? It ain't
no big deal. Right now, you line up the north-marked end of the needle
with north on the dial; if it reverses, you just line up the
south-marked end of the needle with north on the dial, and bingo, you're
pointed at Ellesmere Island the way you used to be. East is still east
and west is still west and never the two shall meet.

And how is it that you know where the magnetic pole will end up?

It was the use of the word "reverse" that twigged me. Presuming that it
was a correct usage, logically, what I wrote should correctly describe
how a compass behaves, post-_reversal_.

I certainly don't presume to know that. I'd say it's highly unlikely.

You'd say _what_ is highly unlikely? That "reverse" means what the
dictionary says it means?

That magnetic "reversal" of the poles would result in them exactly reversing.
That's just not likely to be the case. The poles move by nature even when not
"reversing". The dictionary is not much help in this case.

Bob

Old March 20th 06, 12:47 PM

Bob wrote:

[...]

So that's why I asked (much earlier; did you go on vacation or
something?) what exactly would happen in the case of this hypothetical
"reversal". Apparently nobody knew then, and it seems nobody knows now.
If the coiners of the phrase "polar reversal" are humpty-dumptying and
decided to pick one word instead of the more accurate, "it moves around
somewhere and we have no idea where," then perhaps someone (yourself?)
could chime in and say so.

Old March 20th 06, 11:19 PM

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message news:ivxTf.2903
[...]

Vacation. Schweitzer for a week. Constant snow. Ahhhh!

My understanding is that the magnetic poles are dependent on the flow of
magma within the earth. The poles do seem to switch occasionally due to
changes in that flow. They also gradually drift, probably due to smaller changes.
The geologic records suggest that a "reversal" occurs, but probably not the accuracy of
the reversal. I am no geologist however.

Bob

Old March 20th 06, 11:27 PM

Bob wrote:

[...]

Bite Me.

My understanding is that the magnetic poles are dependent on the flow of
magma within the earth. The poles do seem to switch occasionally due to
changes in that flow. They also gradually drift, probably due to smaller changes.
The geologic records suggest that a "reversal" occurs, but probably not the accuracy of
the reversal. I am no geologist however.

I should probably stop bugging you with this, then, but I'll ask one
mo at what point do us map-and-compass times need to reconsider our
magnetic declination?

Old March 21st 06, 12:46 AM

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:27:01 GMT, Mary Malmros
wrote:

Bob wrote:

[...]

Yeah, me too! I only got to ski four of it last week!

It was sweeeeeeeet.

Dave M