"Refugees" Refuse to Board Plane to Utah

Old September 8th 05, 12:15 AM
klaus

Getting back to the original thread subject, nearly 150 of the 950 or so
evacuees here have applied to set up residence in Utah. They seem to
like the mountains and people according to the interviews I saw. Some
thought the mountains were fake. I saw a lot of evacuees being taken
around the canyon today by their hosts. The best way I can describe
their reaction to the mountains is that they had the demeanor of someone
in the Taj Mahal or some temple. Really struck me.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3007142

-klaus
Old September 8th 05, 02:05 AM
Richard Henry

"klaus" wrote in message
Getting back to the original thread subject, nearly 150 of the 950 or so
evacuees here have applied to set up residence in Utah. They seem to
like the mountains and people according to the interviews I saw. Some
thought the mountains were fake. I saw a lot of evacuees being taken
around the canyon today by their hosts. The best way I can describe
their reaction to the mountains is that they had the demeanor of someone
in the Taj Mahal or some temple. Really struck me.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3007142

Have the missionaries been around yet?

Old September 8th 05, 02:05 AM
bdubya

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:41:12 -0600, AstroPax
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:15:44 -0600, klaus
wrote:

The best way I can describe
their reaction to the mountains is that they had the demeanor of someone
in the Taj Mahal or some temple. Really struck me.

Gapers, in the first degree.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, right?

bw
Old September 8th 05, 02:22 AM
Richard Henry

"AstroPax" wrote in message

wrote:

The best way I can describe
their reaction to the mountains is that they had the demeanor of

someone
in the Taj Mahal or some temple. Really struck me.

Gapers, in the first degree.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, right?

Correct.

I think each and everyone of us has experienced such awe at one point
or another in our life. If not, we are probably missing something.

1. First time in Yosemite: drove in early one morning while it was still
dark, pulled over and took a little nap at a parking spot in the Valley.
When I woke up, the sun was rising and El Capitan was all pink. Where did
THAT come from?

2. Last time in Yosemite: just after last Christmas, drove in during a
rain/snow storm, with broken low clouds overhead. The waterfalls seemed to
be falling right out of the clouds.

3. The first time I drove through LA the day after a rainstorm, aftter
living in smoggy SoCal almost a year. Where did those snowy mountains come
from?

Old September 8th 05, 02:59 AM
klaus

Richard Henry wrote:

Have the missionaries been around yet?

Dunno. I don't think that's allowed yet. At least the mormons were
ready. Credit where credit is due. Right down to ham radio comm. If I
had a choice of FEMA or LDS, I'd hop on that LDS bus.

-klaus
Old September 8th 05, 03:00 AM
klaus

wrote:

The best way I can describe
their reaction to the mountains is that they had the demeanor of someone
in the Taj Mahal or some temple. Really struck me.

Gapers, in the first degree.

Naw. This was different.

-klaus
Old September 8th 05, 03:14 AM
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

Have the missionaries been around yet?

Dunno. I don't think that's allowed yet. At least the mormons were
ready. Credit where credit is due. Right down to ham radio comm. If I
had a choice of FEMA or LDS, I'd hop on that LDS bus.

Sometimes dyslexia provides unwarranted hope. I read that to be an offer
of of "permutation of the characters LDS" on that bus. I'd hope on the
bus, too.

Ken and Augustus, we need you, come on back. And bring the bus, please...
Old September 8th 05, 03:26 AM
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:

Ken and Augustus, we need you, come on back. And bring the bus, please...

Best laugh I've had in a while!!!.. remember this one: "You're either on
the bus, or off the bus."

Furthur,
-klaus
Old September 8th 05, 03:47 AM
bdubya

wrote:

The best way I can describe
their reaction to the mountains is that they had the demeanor of someone
in the Taj Mahal or some temple. Really struck me.

Gapers, in the first degree.

Naw. This was different.

You sure about that? I'm an extremely erudite, educated and
well-traveled guy, but I have most definitely had my share of
capital-G Gaper moments...not you?

bw
Old September 8th 05, 03:52 AM
Walt

AstroPax wrote:

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:15:44 -0600, klaus wrote:

The best way I can describe
their reaction to the mountains is that they had the demeanor of someone
in the Taj Mahal or some temple. Really struck me.

Gapers, in the first degree.

Naw. This was different.

You sure about that? I'm an extremely erudite, educated and
well-traveled guy, but I have most definitely had my share of
capital-G Gaper moments...not you?

My name is Walt and I am a Gaper.

I haven't Gaped in several months, but I know that I am powerless
against overwhelming natural beauty and Gape at the slightest
opportunity....

--
// Walt
//

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 01:00 AM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 03:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 06:22 PM